1980 El Camino Fresh New Paint!!! TELL ME WHAT U THINK???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1980 El Camino Fresh New Paint!!! TELL ME WHAT U THINK??

Da Reazon said:
http://www.transmissioncenter.org/GM_Speedometer_Gears.htm

thanks for the info

80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
Dave V said:
80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
Kool, thanks guys, i will figure it out, should be simple.. :wink:
with the instructions on the site it will be! and its better than what i had to do since when i did my car no such site existed and i went with the calibration box cause i was not able to figure it out.

LoL , that must of sucked....going to call around right know..to get her on the road for a test drive this weekend.

thats what i talking about get out and ride

http://www.transmissioncenter.org/GM_Sp ... _Gears.htm

OK, So i just got off the phone with tech support and they telling me i dont need to change my speedo gear from the trans....Autometer are set up to calibrate them selfs to the speedo gear i have on the elko know..?????

And he said was to get a speed cable to fit the back of the autometer gauge from any type of car..or to just remove the old one and put a 5/8 thread on the cable i have on know and just screw it on...

Saint,

i dont think you told tech the whole story though That could be true on the calibration but did you tell them that your speedo was off since you changed the gears. the gear in the trans makes the speedo rear properly and you made a big step up in gears right now i figure your off around 15-20 mph and that will in turn will make your mileage and everything off just something to think about.

on the speedo cable any speedoshop should be able to make that cable end up for you.

Dave V said:
Saint,

i dont think you told tech the whole story though That could be true on the calibration but did you tell them that your speedo was off since you changed the gears. the gear in the trans makes the speedo rear properly and you made a big step up in gears right now i figure your off around 15-20 mph and that will in turn will make your mileage and everything off just something to think about.

on the speedo cable any speedoshop should be able to make that cable end up for you.

Yea, i will call them back and see whats up....Once i get the mesuarement of my tires, he said he could help me...but he sounded like he didnt want to help either....lol..thanks :)

i found this one:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... =176466350

80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
Yea, i will call them back and see whats up....Once i get the mesuarement of my tires, he said he could help me...but he sounded like he didnt want to help either....lol..thanks :)

i found this one:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... =176466350

"he said he could help me...but he sounded like he didnt want to help either....lol..thanks :)"

i sure hope that statement was not directed at me as im helping out alot sorry im not at your pad to measure the tires. but i do know that you need to get the speedo gear housing in the trans changed for 373 when i did my swap i could not find the correct tooth gear and had to go to the speedo box to get it right.

that cable may work i dont remember how long our stock cables are though.

lmao, ahhhh naw not at you bro...it was the guy helping me on the phone...lol...

ya our cable is 80'' long...i got a new speed cable from autozone yesterday, and that when i found out that i cant use that one...lol....i did call around and there a "SouthWest SpeedoMeter" here in downey and he knew exactly what i was talking about...He will charge me $10.00 to fit a 5/8 thread on the end of the cable, and will take about 10 mins or so...so i will be doing that this week...

Know i need to measure my tire size and get the right speedo gear...

Big Saint

80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
lmao, ahhhh naw not at you bro...it was the guy helping me on the phone...lol...

ya our cable is 80'' long...i got a new speed cable from autozone yesterday, and that when i found out that i cant use that one...lol....i did call around and there a "SouthWest SpeedoMeter" here in downey and he knew exactly what i was talking about...He will charge me $10.00 to fit a 5/8 thread on the end of the cable, and will take about 10 mins or so...so i will be doing that this week...

Big Saint

10 bucks thats a steal...... and your smart using a new cable.... :)

its a good thing im off today and i got some info for you...

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direc ... reMath.jsp
and your tires size is 27.79 tall

so as long as your gonna stay with tha size tire i would get the gear that works for a 28" tire as that would be the closest its not 100% perfect but it will work that is why i did the calibration box as that makes it spot on. my speedo is exactly the same as my gps speedo.

Dave V said:
80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:

Big Saint

10 bucks thats a steal...... and your smart using a new cable.... :)

and i have some better news for you i used this:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direc ... reMath.jsp
and your tires size is 27.79 tall

so as long as your gonna stay with tha size tire i would get the gear that works for a 28" tire as that would be the closest its not 100% perfect but it will work that is why i did the calibration box as that makes it spot on. my speedo is exactly the same as my gps speedo.

Ahhhhhhh Dave, your the best!!!..thanks for looking up that info for me....know let me call them back to see what speedo gear i will need and order it...

Thanks again, will keep u updated....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor