1980 El Camino Fresh New Paint!!! TELL ME WHAT U THINK???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1980 El Camino Fresh New Paint!!! TELL ME WHAT U THINK??

ok so heres what i got with Dave hooking me up with the tire size.

it came out to 7 tooth out put shaft ( drive) & 19 tooth ( driven) where the cable goes connected to trans...

The guy told me that i need to drop the drive shaft where the shaft and the transmission meet...he said to remove the shaft there are 4 bolts & to remove a clip that removes the old gear and it should slide right out...then to put in the 7 tooth gear into the out put shaft, and the same for the speed cable that goes into the transmission...that i seen and can do,. but not sure about droping the drive shaft....lmoa.....what the hell i will give it a try....he said it can be done at home, no need to take to a transmission shop...

does this sound right? All new to me.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll:

80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
ok so heres what i got with Dave hooking me up with the tire size.

it came out to 7 tooth out put shaft ( drive) & 19 tooth ( driven) where the cable goes connected to trans...

The guy told me that i need to drop the drive shaft where the shaft and the transmission meet...he said to remove the shaft there are 4 bolts & to remove a clip that removes the old gear and it should slide right out...then to put in the 7 tooth gear into the out put shaft, and the same for the speed cable that goes into the transmission...that i seen and can do,. but not sure about droping the drive shaft....lmoa.....what the hell i will give it a try....he said it can be done at home, no need to take to a transmission shop...

does this sound right? All new to me.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll:

humm not sure on the dropping the drive shaft stuff but maybe i dont know maybe thats why i had issues never knew about that.

thats what you will have to do to change both but first i would just remove the little bullit where your speedo cable screws on and the gear you need to change will come out with it. There is a little tab that is screwed on remove that then you just pull the bullit out. THen look in the hole and see which drive gear is already in there, whatever color it is will tell you how many teeth it has and let us know what color it is, then go herehttp://www.chevymania.com/tech/speedo.htm and plug in 3.73, 27.79 and the number of teeth.

That will tell you which driven gear you need to change, no dropping drive shaft or nothing, only changing one gear and it can be done in a couple of minutes

What I going to do first is just put that 19 tooth gear where the cable and transmission go and see if I'm ok with mph...

He mentioned if I did t change both that I would be off by 15-20 mph...we will see...if I am then I will change the one from the drive shaft 7tooth gear...

Big Saint in order to change the 19 tooth one you have to remove the little bullit like i explained its only one screw and like 5 minutes to take it out and look to see what you have in there, and then you can get the right one the first time. And you wont even have to get the 7 tooth one

80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
What I going to do first is just put that 19 tooth gear where the cable and transmission go and see if I'm ok with mph...

He mentioned if I did t change both that I would be off by 15-20 mph...we will see...if I am then I will change the one from the drive shaft 7tooth gear...

thats what i would do. the 19 1st

the drive shaft is easy to take out too, just unbolt it from the rear end, there are 4 bolts, then that will drop the rear of the driveshaft out, then just pull it out of the tail shaft... it may be a little stubborn but it will come out... ace should be able to help u if he is close to yah...

[youtube]csSakUrFHPs&feature=pyv&ad=6589872498&kw=overdrive%20transmission[/youtube]

somewhere during the beggining of this video they take out the driveshaft its that easy!

richp85elco said:
Big Saint in order to change the 19 tooth one you have to remove the little bullit like i explained its only one screw and like 5 minutes to take it out and look to see what you have in there, and then you can get the right one the first time. And you wont even have to get the 7 tooth one

ok got it....Yea the guy i spoke to was getting all technical and got me all confused...lmao...i will start off with that 19 tooth gear that goes from the cable into the housing of the transmission...i think that should do it...

Thanks for the Info buddy.... :wink:

Dave V said:
80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:

thats what i would do. the 19 1st

yea for sure...i hit up rick from gbodynation and he told me that he didnt even have to change the speed gear that it worked out great..same set up ....just bigger engine...But i will so that i can try to get a good mph range..thanks Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor