1980 El Camino Fresh New Paint!!! TELL ME WHAT U THINK???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1980 El Camino Fresh New Paint!!! TELL ME WHAT U THINK??

yea if you look threw that hole that the transmission fluid came out of you can see the color of the out put shaft drive gear
like this
64_38cutawayspeedogear.jpg

then by knowing the color you know how many teeth it has

then you use that one to do the math to get the right driven gear (the one you already bought).

hopefully you already have a 7 tooth one, my buddy had a 15

richp85elco said:
yea if you look threw that hole that the transmission fluid came out of you can see the color of the out put shaft drive gear
like this
64_38cutawayspeedogear.jpg

then by knowing the color you know how many teeth it has

then you use that one to do the math to get the right driven gear (the one you already bought).

hopefully you already have a 7 tooth one, my buddy had a 15

Ohhhhhh i see what your saying.....nah i cant get my big head in there :rofl: ....the cross member is in the way..the exhast is in the way...i would have to take off the drive shaft to figure it out...the transmission guy said that it should be fine....but we will see....i think it should be cool too...the homie rick from gbodynation told me he didnt even change none of the gears and the speedometer on there malibu they are working on is right on the dot...he told me not to chage it either , but i will just to be safe...start off with the cable one first and see where im at...thanks for all the great help brah.. :wink:

The 19 tooth will be the ticket and if the car is jacked up that could be why the fluid came out normally you might get a few drops but either way your on the right track bro....

So today in morning got the bullet housing in with the 19 tooth gear...and connected the speed cable....It was kinda hard to get it in....when i took it off the first time it came off real easy, and i was able to put it in easy too....

with a cpl of little taps of my little hammer it went in smoothly ( hopefully the gear lined up with the gear inside the transmission)?...so all the dirty work is done from under the car..know all i need to do is run wire and connect from above...

will keep u updated on Saturday when eveything is done....

80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
So today in morning got the bullet housing in with the 19 tooth gear...and connected the speed cable....It was kinda hard to get it in....when i took it off the first time it came off real easy, and i was able to put it in easy too....

with a cpl of little taps of my little hammer it went in smoothly ( hopefully the gear lined up with the gear inside the transmission)?...so all the dirty work is done from under the car..know all i need to do is run wire and connect from above...

well i hope it did seat correctly cause had the same issue on my old 83 and the damn thing snapped after heading up the street i think the plastic gear was faulty but im sure you will be good glad you got it going....cant wait to hear about the drive....

Dave V said:
80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:

well i hope it did seat correctly cause had the same issue on my old 83 and the damn thing snapped after heading up the street i think the plastic gear was faulty but im sure you will be good glad you got it going....cant wait to hear about the drive....

ok you got me concerned....if it does snap what will i fell or what will happen? but it felt like it went in smooth with the little taps i had to do to get it in...

all that will happen is the speedo wont work thats all and you will open it up and get teh parts up but from what your saying it sounds like it went in ok cause you tapped it which is ok with a new part....

Dave V said:
all that will happen is the speedo wont work thats all and you will open it up and get teh parts up but from what your saying it sounds like it went in ok cause you tapped it which is ok with a new part....

lmoa...yes it tapped in smoothly wasent all hard where i had to bang it in...so thanks....i feel better know....i thought the transmission was going to fly out and end up in the streets....hahahahahaha j/k

thanks dave...

Big saint
80zbabiez

OMG!!!! Alllllll these dayum wires drive me crazy.... But look at the progress...I got out early from work cause we were slow as hell and I started connecting the gauges....

They all work fine...speed looks on the dot ...tach looks good too....ran some led lights to brighten up the cluster and BAMMMM!!!!looking good :D

But ran into problems....for some reason when I went to test drive the ride it started to over heat!!!! I was lossen oil pressure and my temp gauage was not working...I rushed home to check things out and I was at 290 degrees and the engine was HOT....my fans were not working....I got to the drive way and smoke and radiator fluid all over the place...I started cking wires and everything was goood...checked fused and all was good...I went to check the wires on fan and there was the problem, it was not connected right)!!! Fans turned on and I was back on the road checking all the gauges out, and I'm glad to say they All work fine...so Saturday I will check all fluids and ride my baby for awhile...here some pics..

71e95787.jpg

f809fb1b.jpg

fd44b8d5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor