1980 El Camino Fresh New Paint!!! TELL ME WHAT U THINK???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1980 El Camino Fresh New Paint!!! TELL ME WHAT U THINK??

Dave V said:
Jackson paint in fontana carries the krylon warren so do most ace hardware stores. I use there semi gloss on suspension parts cause it flows so good. Big Saint Spary down the area good give it a few coats and try to keep everyone out of the area and hopefully you'll keep the dust down. After you put it on and it dries good it there is crap in the paint ill give a tip that will work better then wet Samsung I've always used a cleaner wax or use surf city beyond clay with a buffer it cuts the paint nicely and buffs it at the same time

Oh really....perfect...i have a feeling i might get some dusst here and there....im going to put that yellow tape cops take out at a crime scene...lmao... i will hit u up if i run into any problems....probley wont be till next week...just found out rad top not coming till the 9th...sucks....

HEY GUY... :D

So i kinda want to change the intake air cleaner!!! not feeling that round top look n e more...

interested in Sepectre Dual Plenum 45 kit...somthing different then others i have seen...i know Pollo and the Warren have the same set up...i kinda was something like it but not so long...ck it out...

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/1/1/68 ... t-761.html

Advance auto parts has all the hook ups and discounts if i get it at advance it will be $90.00 free shipping thats including all the discounts retail for $124.99..

Oh yea Pepboys has it on sale right know too for $99.99, i do know that it doesnt come with the filters, i was thinking gray filter with the chrome trim or maybe blue to match the spark plugs ....retail $121.99

I just dont know if its goin to clear from the carb to the hood? can u guys look at the specs in the link and tell me if it will.i do have that edelbrock 1" spacer i had to put on to convert over from q_jet to edelbrock..so it says :•Requires 3.5" clearance between the carburetor and hood. WIll i clear??

Attachments

• INTAKE.jpg
    INTAKE.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 657

I ran that one on my last Elco with no clearance issues. If you decided to ever run ac again you would have problems with it clearing the ac lines that connect to the back of thr compressor. The one Warren and Pollo is using is necessary when running a high rise/airgap intake with carb spacers and things like that because it has a dropped base for extra clearance. How tall is the air cleaner your using now? I'm about 95% sure you shouldn't have any issues

melman109 said:
I ran that one on my last Elco with no clearance issues. If you decided to ever run ac again you would have problems with it clearing the ac lines that connect to the back of thr compressor. The one Warren and Pollo is using is necessary when running a high rise/airgap intake with carb spacers and things like that because it has a dropped base for extra clearance. How tall is the air cleaner your using now? I'm about 95% sure you shouldn't have any issues

Well ever since i got the edelbrock carb and had to add that 1'' adapter to convert it fron q-jet to edelbrock, i think I had a stander air cleaner with deep dish bottom and was like 3" and cleared the hood with no problems, when i had the q-jet...once i got the edelbrock the deep dish bottom of the air cleaner was hitting the line that goes in back of carb ( trans ) and was hitting hood once i put that adapter, so i went out and got the 2" air filter with i think a flat reset/bottom of air cleaner and the hood closed good, i think theres was alittle more space for clearnce with the 2" cleaner but dont know if it has more clearnce..Since this spectre air cleaner is just going to go from gasket flange to the top of the supplied retaining nut i think the 3.5" clearence should be ok...maybe i will do some measurements before buying.. but if u dealed with this same one and u are 95% sure, its a done deal....thanks big homie!

80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
Dave V said:
Jackson paint in fontana carries the krylon warren so do most ace hardware stores. I use there semi gloss on suspension parts cause it flows so good. Big Saint Spary down the area good give it a few coats and try to keep everyone out of the area and hopefully you'll keep the dust down. After you put it on and it dries good it there is crap in the paint ill give a tip that will work better then wet Samsung I've always used a cleaner wax or use surf city beyond clay with a buffer it cuts the paint nicely and buffs it at the same time

Oh really....perfect...i have a feeling i might get some dusst here and there....im going to put that yellow tape cops take out at a crime scene...lmao... i will hit u up if i run into any problems....probley wont be till next week...just found out rad top not coming till the 9th...sucks....

u need any help buffing it out just ask i got a buffer and ill be glad to come down and help u out.

Ok, so go started on the metal work rad support area....sanded down with some sand paper, clean it good, taped every thing up so no over spray. Primered it with metal primer, shot it with the ruestolum block paint, then dupicolor clear....came out SWEETTTT!!!!!!

CK IT OUT....put car cover on so it can cook with out any dust flying around....when i get my rad top plate i will be dowing the same....but the only thing bugging me is the spring thats attached to the hood..if i take off will hood still pop open? Keeps on scratching my paint...lol..

Attachments

• 2011-08-05_15-24-35_857.jpg
    2011-08-05_15-24-35_857.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 775
  • 2011-08-05_16-12-54_333.jpg
    2011-08-05_16-12-54_333.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 764
  • 2011-08-05_16-13-00_180.jpg
    2011-08-05_16-13-00_180.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 781

That spring is what keeps upward pressure on the hood so when the latch is pulled, the spring's tension is relieved forcing the hood up. I have seen, and plan on doing this, putting a small rubber pad on the hood where the spring rests. It would have to be very thin so it would mess with the way the hood sits when its shut. Almost like something you would find at home depot for under furniture.

80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
Ok, so go started on the metal work rad support area....sanded down with some sand paper, clean it good, taped every thing up so no over spray. Primered it with metal primer, shot it with the ruestolum block paint, then dupicolor clear....came out SWEETTTT!!!!!!

CK IT OUT....put car cover on so it can cook with out any dust flying around....when i get my rad top plate i will be dowing the same....but the only thing bugging me is the spring thats attached to the hood..if i take off will hood still pop open? Keeps on scratching my paint...lol..
let it get scratched shows ORIGINALITY...lol looks good bro

So i go my huslte on today, was a good day and made a good chunk of cash...it has been slow selling for the pass two weeks...and got so many calls today for parts...n e ways so i went to pepboys and picked up that air cleaner,but then took it right back....Mel it does clean but man the shine on it sucks and it was not my stlye...just covering up everything and just to much fir me...took it right back and got my refund....got so asada and a 12 pack and went home...but dayum i did pretty good today on paint and parts...thank u lord! :wink:

Attachments

• 2011-08-05_16-13-25_435.jpg
    2011-08-05_16-13-25_435.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 775
  • 2011-08-05_15-10-34_269.jpg
    2011-08-05_15-10-34_269.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 761
  • 2011-08-05_18-45-54_688.jpg
    2011-08-05_18-45-54_688.jpg
    1,005.4 KB · Views: 759
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor