1980 El Camino Fresh New Paint!!! TELL ME WHAT U THINK???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1980 El Camino Fresh New Paint!!! TELL ME WHAT U THINK??

nice

Thanks guys.....its keeping me busy...lol

Dave, yup see u there....

Ok guys, got elko on the road for about a good hour and after 7 wks.....ok so tested driving her with the new tight power steering belt/pulley/pump...and its still alittle rough.im thinking its the after market pulley..it is a billet aluminum specialty pulley...idk why it still rough...belt is tight..wait theres more it was dripping, but i think i over filled the tank, i took some out and test drove again, and less drips..but dont get me wrong its way better then it was before...im happy and going to deal with it....i will keep track of it as i drive it..

Also cked out the electric fans...they worked perfect! They turn on and off when they need to....and i feel like with the spark plug wire change, it feels like it has alittle more power, and sounds way different know...more choppy..loving the drive..feels real good....im starting to think if the engine shop put a cam shaft in it by mistake...hahahahahaha...

Well i will leave it at that! And going to chill and wait till sunday for the Run..will clean her up on sunday morning and head out...fill her up and be on my way...so talk to u guys later...

80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
Ok guys, got elko on the road for about a good hour and after 7 wks.....ok so tested driving her with the new tight power steering belt/pulley/pump...and its still alittle rough.im thinking its the after market pulley..it is a billet aluminum specialty pulley...idk why it still rough...belt is tight..wait theres more it was dripping, but i think i over filled the tank, i took some out and test drove again, and less drips..but dont get me wrong its way better then it was before...im happy and going to deal with it....i will keep track of it as i drive it..

Also cked out the electric fans...they worked perfect! They turn on and off when they need to....and i feel like with the spark plug wire change, it feels like it has alittle more power, and sounds way different know...more choppy..loving the drive..feels real good....im starting to think if the engine shop put a cam shaft in it by mistake...hahahahahaha...

Well i will leave it at that! And going to chill and wait till sunday for the Run..will clean her up on sunday morning and head out...fill her up and be on my way...so talk to u guys later...
what do you mean "rough"? like hesitation in the motor, or idle rough? have you checked to make sure the dist. cap is not loose and that it didnt move slightly off timing?

(Skip Foose)

Ahhhh nah brah, the elko is running real real good, not rough at idle or driving...its running smooth....motor sounds sweet....its the power sterring..

What i meant by (rough) was when the elko is on and at idle and when u turn the wheel from left to right its still kinda rough..but its way better then before...i tried parking in a parking lot and i could go in reverse and forward to park in hard parking spots, but still alittle hard at the wheel...like if the belt is loose, but i no for fact its not, its on good!!! but im good where its at...i dont think the distributor cap moved at all...but why would the dristributor make my power steering alittle rough?

Let me know big dog....

80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
(Skip Foose)

Ahhhh nah brah, the elko is running real real good, not rough at idle or driving...its running smooth....motor sounds sweet....its the power sterring..

What i meant by (rough) was when the elko is on and at idle and when u turn the wheel from left to right its still kinda rough..but its way better then before...i tried parking in a parking lot and i could go in reverse and forward to park in hard parking spots, but still alittle hard at the wheel...like if the belt is loose, but i no for fact its not, its on good!!! but im good where its at...i dont think the distributor cap moved at all...but why would the dristributor make my power steering alittle rough?

Let me know big dog....
it wouldnt...lol. i thought you were saying the car was running rough... oh yeh with the wheels on its kinda hard to dial it in right (power steering) next time i see ya, ill try to take a look at it... see if there is anything else that can be done

K...Kool skip...if ur at the Run u can ck it out there.....

Whats up family...so just got back from run and it was hot as hell....bad headaches with this dayum heat....i met alot of kool guys like Twin, and Tuck from GM allstars and rare el camino,....real fun guys to talk too...

So elko ran pretty good...fans worked great...and wheel wells look amazing...there was so many people give me mad props about the wheel wells and engine bay,it was krazy and of course had to mention the big dog ELKO WARREN....there are so many people that want them done badly.....

I hung out with gbody nation and of course they always made me fell welcomed...Dave was there and won 2nd place best elko...NICE!!! Congrats Dave... :wink:

I did notice some stuff while driving elko...i know i need posi gears to have good freeway miles....and after talking with Twin and Tuck i think thats his name..lol... i think i have a 2 speed powerglide 350 trans...(not sure)when im on freeway i can only hit 45MPH and my RPMS are hitting 4200!! When on street im good in two gears but never ever hit a third gear..(i always thought it was working good) but after talking to them thats what they mentioned..Gears and posi i can probley get at pomona or long beach....im going to ck the vacuum lines and make sure its all connected right, i know that the vaccum is new,bought it new and took when trans was installed...so what do i do? Different trans on a budget..if i need to change the trans i will save to get one, but i want a trans that i can just drop right in like this 350 i have...dont want to have to change out the drive shaft or any drive shaft cutting...maybe 200-4r?

I just feel like i have this fresh engine and i cant smash on the freeway.. :(

SO WHATS NEXT GUYS...HOW DO I FIX THIS PROBLEM WITH THE TRANS?

Saint I am not gonna lie your engine bay smokes mine it is clean. Warren you are the man when it comes to wells and I got an idea we need to talk about. Thanks for the props on the award it was an honor to win it from a group of my peers.

Humm you got a 350 and its only shfiting twice? Then it can be the vaccum modulatr or could be in the trans but I mean if it were like a powerhouse you would have a 1st gear bad like a 3rd gear which is direct drive. Wish I would have known cause we could have checked the kick down cable too. But gears and a lieu won't really help mpg with a bad trans. Plus if your running stock gears like 308 with a three speed trans you would be getting good mileage. I would 1st check the the back lines and modulater then while driving go from 1st to 2nd and then try to go to drive if not go to neutral and tune while not on the gas pull it back to drive to see if maybe u got some junk in a port in the trans. Last thing I thought bout is maybe the linkage is not ajusted properly. Next time speak up bro cause we could have looked at some it there at the run.

80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
Whats up family...so just got back from run and it was hot as hell....bad headaches with this dayum heat....i met alot of kool guys like Twin, and Tuck from GM allstars and rare el camino,....real fun guys to talk too...

So elko ran pretty good...fans worked great...and wheel wells look amazing...there was so many people give me mad props about the wheel wells and engine bay,it was krazy and of course had to mention the big dog ELKO WARREN....there are so many people that want them done badly.....

I hung out with gbody nation and of course they always made me fell welcomed...Dave was there and won 2nd place best elko...NICE!!! Congrats Dave... :wink:

I did notice some stuff while driving elko...i know i need posi gears to have good freeway miles....and after talking with Twin and Tuck i think thats his name..lol... i think i have a 2 speed powerglide 350 trans...(not sure)when im on freeway i can only hit 45MPH and my RPMS are hitting 4200!! When on street im good in two gears but never ever hit a third gear..(i always thought it was working good) but after talking to them thats what they mentioned..Gears and posi i can probley get at pomona or long beach....im going to ck the vacuum lines and make sure its all connected right, i know that the vaccum is new,bought it new and took when trans was installed...so what do i do? Different trans on a budget..if i need to change the trans i will save to get one, but i want a trans that i can just drop right in like this 350 i have...dont want to have to change out the drive shaft or any drive shaft cutting...maybe 200-4r?

I just feel like i have this fresh engine and i cant smash on the freeway.. :(

SO WHATS NEXT GUYS...HOW DO I FIX THIS PROBLEM WITH THE TRANS?
take a pict of the trans pan for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor