1980 El Camino Fresh New Paint!!! TELL ME WHAT U THINK???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1980 El Camino Fresh New Paint!!! TELL ME WHAT U THINK??

Dave, thanks for looking out...yea i should of spoke up....i think the dayum sun got me...i hate the sun...but this weekend i will try what u told me...but yea ita a trip that first and second work great...but wont go to third...really dont think the trans is messed up...works good..we will see...

Mr. Skip...heres ur pic....if u need a better let me know...

Oh wait...at the steering column i can go..park,reverse,nutural,drive,and then 1st....shouldnt there be one more click down?

Attachments

• 2011-06-25_13-37-22_167.jpg
    2011-06-25_13-37-22_167.jpg
    561.9 KB · Views: 554

80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
Dave, thanks for looking out...yea i should of spoke up....i think the dayum sun got me...i hate the sun...but this weekend i will try what u told me...but yea ita a trip that first and second work great...but wont go to third...really dont think the trans is messed up...works good..we will see...

Oh wait...at the steering column i can go..park,reverse,nutural,drive,and then 1st....shouldnt there be one more click down?

yep there should be 3 clicks after neutral and sounds to me like there is an issue in the linkage..... your not getting 3rd or your neutral is possibly 3rd. but yes you should have 3 clicks and the trans is a 350 from what i can see on pan picture. also looks like your missing the inspection cover over the flywheel you might want one of those at some point

Dave V said:
80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:

yep there should be 3 clicks after neutral and sounds to me like there is an issue in the linkage..... your not getting 3rd or your neutral is possibly 3rd. but yes you should have 3 clicks and the trans is a 350 from what i can see on pan picture. also looks like your missing the inspection cover over the flywheel you might want one of those at some point

Thats what i thought dave....maybe thats the problem...So i went out side to ck moudle and trans line..and everything looks good...follwed the trans line from the intake all the way to the vaccum, and looks good...no bents module look good...maybe my linkage is stopping me from hitting 3rd gear..could that be?
as for the flywheel, i seen some nice covers on CFR Performance..might pick one up...thanks

80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
Ok guys, got elko on the road for about a good hour and after 7 wks.....ok so tested driving her with the new tight power steering belt/pulley/pump...and its still alittle rough.im thinking its the after market pulley..it is a billet aluminum specialty pulley...idk why it still rough...belt is tight..wait theres more it was dripping, but i think i over filled the tank, i took some out and test drove again, and less drips..but dont get me wrong its way better then it was before...im happy and going to deal with it....i will keep track of it as i drive it..

Also cked out the electric fans...they worked perfect! They turn on and off when they need to....and i feel like with the spark plug wire change, it feels like it has alittle more power, and sounds way different know...more choppy..loving the drive..feels real good....im starting to think if the engine shop put a cam shaft in it by mistake...hahahahahaha...

Well i will leave it at that! And going to chill and wait till sunday for the Run..will clean her up on sunday morning and head out...fill her up and be on my way...so talk to u guys later...

To bad you have a Chevy, I just picked up a Turbo 400 transmission that I would have given you but its B.O.P.

v2vera said:
80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
Ok guys, got elko on the road for about a good hour and after 7 wks.....ok so tested driving her with the new tight power steering belt/pulley/pump...and its still alittle rough.im thinking its the after market pulley..it is a billet aluminum specialty pulley...idk why it still rough...belt is tight..wait theres more it was dripping, but i think i over filled the tank, i took some out and test drove again, and less drips..but dont get me wrong its way better then it was before...im happy and going to deal with it....i will keep track of it as i drive it..

Also cked out the electric fans...they worked perfect! They turn on and off when they need to....and i feel like with the spark plug wire change, it feels like it has alittle more power, and sounds way different know...more choppy..loving the drive..feels real good....im starting to think if the engine shop put a cam shaft in it by mistake...hahahahahaha...

Well i will leave it at that! And going to chill and wait till sunday for the Run..will clean her up on sunday morning and head out...fill her up and be on my way...so talk to u guys later...

To bad you have a Chevy, I just picked up a Turbo 400 transmission that I would have given you but its B.O.P.
:cry: dayum.....i really think it something small...nothing major, but just need to get to the main problem.....i will figure it out with the help of the gbody family..good looking tho...

Is your linkage on the driver side that hooks to the transmission from steering coluom hitting on your headers before the collector,i know mine was and i coulndnt manually shift down to 1st or 2nd?

80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
Dave V said:
80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:

Thats what i thought dave....maybe thats the problem...So i went out side to ck moudle and trans line..and everything looks good...follwed the trans line from the intake all the way to the vaccum, and looks good...no bents module look good...maybe my linkage is stopping me from hitting 3rd gear..could that be?
as for the flywheel, i seen some nice covers on CFR Performance..might pick one up...thanks

it should not stop you from hitting 3rd and drive is the 1st click and the trans should shift thru all 3 gears that way...so i dont know maybe something came loose in the trans you never know. did u have this issue before you did the pan swap?

80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:

you hv a t350, the powerglides pan is more of a rectangle and doesnt have that corner angle... anyhow, prob in your linkage... but if it is going in park, reverse, neutral, the next click should be drive, and it would shift through all gears in drives, most of the time its a linkage out of adj. it normally wont go all the way in park, or low gear...

you can take the linkage off and manually shift the car underneath to see if it does the same... have you checked your fluid level and color (check level with the car running)...

also, start the car, make sure it is in park, put your foot on the brake, hit the gas, see if it is actually in reverse or slips into reverse... or make sure there is nothing behind you and take foot off brake and gently tap gas, see if it slips out (just cover your brake)... do the same in neutral to make sure neutral isnt a drive gear... if so adjust your linkage properly, make sure the linkage isnt binding up on anything...

ElCaminoGRAN/SPORT said:
Is your linkage on the driver side that hooks to the transmission from steering coluom hitting on your headers before the collector,i know mine was and i coulndnt manually shift down to 1st or 2nd?

um yes big brother...it is on the right side diver side....u can see that the linkage from the engine bay that goes down to the linkage next to the trans on the driver side. From the engine bay the linkage is loose and is only held with like cotter pins...i did have this problem with the linkage hitting the headers and they were zipped tied to some tubes that are next to it, becuase it wasent letting me put into park. but with the zip tie it working properly but still loose...dosent look like it can get any tighter than it is... what you think???

Dave:

I have always had this issue, even with the old trans I've had...i could just go ( park, reverse, neuteral, drive, and 1 down shift, wasent going into the 2nd down shift...really dont think its the rans...but maybe so...Nahhhhhhh dont think so..lol :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor