1980 El Camino Fresh New Paint!!! TELL ME WHAT U THINK???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1980 El Camino Fresh New Paint!!! TELL ME WHAT U THINK??

Ok to make a long story short! I just GOT CHECKED !!! LMAO....by my bro in laws buddy (VETERAN)OLD SKOOL KAT..that rebuilt nothing but transmissons....he has worked for Gm for 30yrs and has his side hustle rebuilting trannys at one of the local shop area three shops down...

1.So he told me that the shift linkage has nothing to do with it shifting into 3rd gear! But to ease my mind he has smaller brackets that he can put on to not hit the header...or like i said he can shave it down a bit..I guess if u remove that bracket from the bolt it will let out the trans fluid..( something i didnt know)..lmao

2.But he did say with that linkage fixed, we will test drive it on the freeway...1gear 2nd gear then into drive..He said if in drive while on the freeway passes 40-45mph and my RPMs are below 3000, then its something else.

3. He mentioned if thats the case it could be a bad/blocked valve or burned clutch ( or a bad Torque converter) basicly all three...

4. I call him (Mr. GM) well he knows for a fact that it can be the Torque converter, becuase it act like a pump and pushes the fluid into the valve opening up the clutch that goes into the valves to make it shift into the gears it need to shift into..But he just told me if i was going to just change the torque converter to just rebuilt the DAYUM trans...Only becuase the old Torque converter has been pushing all the burned clutch metal partical from the 3rd gear into the trans, and he cant guarantee his work! he said putting a new torque converter will probley do the job, but there will still be alot of metal partical floating around, and its going to get into the new converter and might mess up 1st and 2nd gear.. :shock:

$450.00 for the rebuilt and installation 1yr warrty..(hook up price) Still not bad...he sounds like he knows his sh*t...and my bro in law has some clean konnects...I willbe taking elko to him to adjust the shift linkage, test drive it with him and go from there.. :( (Thanks Guys) Im going to go get myself DRUNK know and Pass out...lmao :blam:

WHAT DO U GUYS THINK ABOUT HIS OPINION????????

80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
Ok to make a long story short! I just GOT CHECKED !!! LMAO....by my bro in laws buddy (VETERAN)OLD SKOOL KAT..that rebuilt nothing but transmissons....he has worked for Gm for 30yrs and has his side hustle rebuilting trannys at one of the local shop area three shops down...

1.So he told me that the shift linkage has nothing to do with it shifting into 3rd gear! But to ease my mind he has smaller brackets that he can put on to not hit the header...or like i said he can shave it down a bit..I guess if u remove that bracket from the bolt it will let out the trans fluid..( something i didnt know)..lmao

2.But he did say with that linkage fixed, we will test drive it on the freeway...1gear 2nd gear then into drive..He said if in drive while on the freeway passes 40-45mph and my RPMs are below 3000, then its something else.

3. He mentioned if thats the case it could be a bad/blocked valve or burned clutch ( or a bad Torque converter) basicly all three...

4. I call him (Mr. GM) well he knows for a fact that it can be the Torque converter, becuase it act like a pump and pushes the fluid into the valve opening up the clutch that goes into the valves to make it shift into the gears it need to shift into..But he just told me if i was going to just change the torque converter to just rebuilt the DAYUM trans...Only becuase the old Torque converter has been pushing all the burned clutch metal partical from the 3rd gear into the trans, and he cant guarantee his work! he said putting a new torque converter will probley do the job, but there will still be alot of metal partical floating around, and its going to get into the new converter and might mess up 1st and 2nd gear.. :shock:

$450.00 for the rebuilt and installation 1yr warrty..(hook up price) Still not bad...he sounds like he knows his sh*t...and my bro in law has some clean konnects...I willbe taking elko to him to adjust the shift linkage, test drive it with him and go from there.. :( (Thanks Guys) Im going to go get myself DRUNK know and Pass out...lmao :blam:

Que te dije? Thats what was happening to mine lol. I paid 650 and the dude I went through did a good job. So 450 I think your getting HOOKED up. Does the 450 include the converter? When I did mine it did. Who knows maybe he will even take payments lol

v2vera said:
80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:

Que te dije? Thats what was happening to mine lol. I paid 650 and the dude I went through did a good job. So 450 I think your getting HOOKED up. Does the 450 include the converter? When I did mine it did. Who knows maybe he will even take payments lol

Simon :cry: ......yea its including a new torque converter....i was just trying to get out of a rebuilt....i guess i got to get my hustle on alittle bit more to get it built.....going to ck it out with him, then make my decision...Or just burn the hell out of it till it dies on me....lol..nah wont let it get that far...hahahahahahaha

Hey bro dropping in 450 for peace of mind is well worth it. If you drive it like that and break down, that tow is gonna be a chunk of what you would have paid for a rebuild. OR another option if you wanna risk it. Theres a TON of used 350 trannys out there. I know here in AZ they go for 150 on Craigslist all day. I wonder if theres an adapter you can use to install the bop 400. If there is its yours free of cost. Maybe Elco Warren will take it back with him when he drops off the motor :?:

v2vera said:
Hey bro dropping in 450 for peace of mind is well worth it. If you drive it like that and break down, that tow is gonna be a chunk of what you would have paid for a rebuild. OR another option if you wanna risk it. Theres a TON of used 350 trannys out there. I know here in AZ they go for 150 on Craigslist all day. I wonder if theres an adapter you can use to install the bop 400. If there is its yours free of cost. Maybe Elco Warren will take it back with him when he drops off the motor :?:

Really...is it in good shape or does it need a rebuilt? i was j/k about driving it till it burns...lmao...i was most likely going to get it all done up and rebuilt the right way.

Wait nah i cant do that bro...thats for your new build... :mrgreen:

80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
v2vera said:

Really...is it in good shape or does it need a rebuilt? i was j/k about driving it till it burns...lmao...i was most likely going to get it all done up and rebuilt the right way.

Bro Its going to be a minute before my build its done. Im going to drive this 4.1 till its done. I dont even have 80k on it. Plus im gonna go with a 700r4 when I finally drop this in. If you dont want it its gonna be on CL lol. No rebuild needed homie its ready to drop in.

v2vera said:
80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
v2vera said:

Bro Its going to be a minute before my build its done. Im going to drive this 4.1 till its done. I dont even have 80k on it. Plus im gonna go with a 700r4 when I finally drop this in. If you dont want it its gonna be on CL lol. No rebuild needed homie its ready to drop in.

Lmao i'll take it,....hahahahahaha....hopefully theres an adapter that will make it fit....gracias Big time "Carnal"...
Do i need to shorten the drive shaft?

Wait nah i cant do that bro...thats for your new build... :mrgreen:[/quote]

Bro Its going to be a minute before my build its done. Im going to drive this 4.1 till its done. I dont even have 80k on it. Plus im gonna go with a 700r4 when I finally drop this in. If you dont want it its gonna be on CL lol. No rebuild needed homie its ready to drop in.[/quote]

Lmao i'll take it,....hahahahahaha....hopefully theres an adapter that will make it fit....gracias Big time "Carnal"...
Do i need to shorten the drive shaft?[/quote]

From what I understand you can swap a 350 and a 400 and there the same lenght. Im sure someone will chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor