1980 El Camino Fresh New Paint!!! TELL ME WHAT U THINK???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1980 El Camino Fresh New Paint!!! TELL ME WHAT U THINK??

v2vera said:
Really...is it in good shape or does it need a rebuilt? i was j/k about driving it till it burns...lmao...i was most likely going to get it all done up and rebuilt the right way.

Wait nah i cant do that bro...thats for your new build... :mrgreen:

Bro Its going to be a minute before my build its done. Im going to drive this 4.1 till its done. I dont even have 80k on it. Plus im gonna go with a 700r4 when I finally drop this in. If you dont want it its gonna be on CL lol. No rebuild needed homie its ready to drop in.[/quote]

Lmao i'll take it,....hahahahahaha....hopefully theres an adapter that will make it fit....gracias Big time "Carnal"...
Do i need to shorten the drive shaft?[/quote]

From what I understand you can swap a 350 and a 400 and there the same lenght. Im sure someone will chime in.[/quote]

Fo-sure i cant thank you enough!! :wink: And yes i have heard that the are the same and should just pop right in, but lets see what other say on here about the 350 and 400 trans fitment.

THANKS AGAIN BIG VIC...

80z gotta have each others backs lol. Hit up Warren to see if he has room for it. I will drop it off when he comes down.

v2vera said:

Ahhhhhhhhh yea!!! u found the plate!!! NICE!!!! ok i will hit him up to see whats good....

When u come down , carne asada and Patron on me homie!! a hole bottle for you as well....lol

80ZBABIEZ CC

I'm loving the block off chevy emblem yu did to cover up the ac.. did yu have that custom made? And how are those subs? I want some for my cutty but don't know which brand is good?

kiefer84cutty said:
I'm loving the block off chevy emblem yu did to cover up the ac.. did yu have that custom made? And how are those subs? I want some for my cutty but don't know which brand is good?

Thanks for cking in on thread brah....I got plate on ebay for like 90.00 and subs hit great...12" kickers crv.... i love the bass and so does my son....lol...i would recommend them to start off..

Do yu jus have one or two installed in yur car? Which model is that? I love the sound of bass when I jam to rock..:)

80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
Ok to make a long story short! I just GOT CHECKED !!! LMAO....by my bro in laws buddy (VETERAN)OLD SKOOL KAT..that rebuilt nothing but transmissons....he has worked for Gm for 30yrs and has his side hustle rebuilting trannys at one of the local shop area three shops down...

1.So he told me that the shift linkage has nothing to do with it shifting into 3rd gear! But to ease my mind he has smaller brackets that he can put on to not hit the header...or like i said he can shave it down a bit..I guess if u remove that bracket from the bolt it will let out the trans fluid..( something i didnt know)..lmao

2.But he did say with that linkage fixed, we will test drive it on the freeway...1gear 2nd gear then into drive..He said if in drive while on the freeway passes 40-45mph and my RPMs are below 3000, then its something else.

3. He mentioned if thats the case it could be a bad/blocked valve or burned clutch ( or a bad Torque converter) basicly all three...

4. I call him (Mr. GM) well he knows for a fact that it can be the Torque converter, becuase it act like a pump and pushes the fluid into the valve opening up the clutch that goes into the valves to make it shift into the gears it need to shift into..But he just told me if i was going to just change the torque converter to just rebuilt the DAYUM trans...Only becuase the old Torque converter has been pushing all the burned clutch metal partical from the 3rd gear into the trans, and he cant guarantee his work! he said putting a new torque converter will probley do the job, but there will still be alot of metal partical floating around, and its going to get into the new converter and might mess up 1st and 2nd gear.. :shock:

$450.00 for the rebuilt and installation 1yr warrty..(hook up price) Still not bad...he sounds like he knows his sh*t...and my bro in law has some clean konnects...I willbe taking elko to him to adjust the shift linkage, test drive it with him and go from there.. :( (Thanks Guys) Im going to go get myself DRUNK know and Pass out...lmao :blam:

WHAT DO U GUYS THINK ABOUT HIS OPINION????????
yeh, i must have lost you somewhere in your explanation of the issue, i though you were saying it would not physically shift into a certain gear, i should have asked you if you knew for sure it was in drive...

because in drive, the linkage would not obviously stop it from shifting, cause it would shift 1st through 3rd, while in drive all by itself... so if in drive it is not shifting through all gears... check the fluid, but chances are if the fluid was low enough to cause it not to shift and you drove it on the freeway at 45 for an extended length of time, youve already burned the clutches up, etc.

have to already checked the fluid?

well, what I would do at that point, is drain the fluid, drop the pan, check for metal etc. change the filter, add fluid, see if it shifts...

if the fluid has been full all this time and its not shifting, chances are you do need it rebuilt...

Skip:

Well i have been having this problem since i got the trans..I just recently change the trans pan to chrome/filter/and trans fluids....the fluid is as pink as it can get..also checked fluids when car fully on for about 20 mins and still full and pink. the only leak that i can see is where the speedo cable is, but its probley one or two drips a week...

Ur right about the shift linakge not the issue...I had the wifey yesterday come outside and shift the all the gears while i was underneath the car to see it shift and when she gets to 2nd gear, it doesnt hit the header it has room for one more shift down...but what i noticed at the colum it wasent letting it go down any more...i did notice that reverse and nutral have a bid gap in between...looks like if you put it in nutrual its so loose at the column that it can go into Drive...i think the column is the issue...might need to take it apart and tighten inside there...but i know thats a b*tch!! lol :twisted:

Well thanks to everyone who tried to help a brother out!! :wink: Let mov on with our builds and get some work done...

Most likely i will get it rebuilt within the next cpl months....THANKS GUYS I LOVE U MAN!!!! :rofl: :rofl:

80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
Skip:

Well i have been having this problem since i got the trans..I just recently change the trans pan to chrome/filter/and trans fluids....the fluid is as pink as it can get..also checked fluids when car fully on for about 20 mins and still full and pink. the only leak that i can see is where the speedo cable is, but its probley one or two drips a week...

Ur right about the shift linakge not the issue...I had the wifey yesterday come outside and shift the all the gears while i was underneath the car to see it shift and when she gets to 2nd gear, it doesnt hit the header it has room for one more shift down...but what i noticed at the colum it wasent letting it go down any more...i did notice that reverse and nutral have a bid gap in between...looks like if you put it in nutrual its so loose at the column that it can go into Drive...i think the column is the issue...might need to take it apart and tighten inside there...but i know thats a b*tch!! lol :twisted:

Well thanks to everyone who tried to help a brother out!! :wink: Let mov on with our builds and get some work done...

Most likely i will get it rebuilt within the next cpl months....THANKS GUYS I LOVE U MAN!!!! :rofl: :rofl:
Cool... last thing... normally when there is a linkage issue (as far as adjusting to fix) it would either not go into low gear or park, not really skip a gear, etc. or it binds up etc, where you need a new one... what im saying is this, if the transmission is not physically shifting to a certain gear etc... then check hardware attached (be it the shifter cable brackets, shifter or linkage). if you can get the transmission to physically shift into drive... then from a stop, it should shift (on its own) from 1 to 3... if it is not, then it has to be something internal... if its in drive and not shifting through all three gears and downshifting etc. then its internal, not the column or the linkage...

as your wife shifts through the gears, you should be seeing it (from park) click back 5 times (prk to rev, rev to neu, neu to driv, driv to 2, 2 to 1), if it isnt then take the linkage off the trans and physically move it to make sure it physically shifts through all gears... even if it does or doesnt, if you can get it to shift into drive, then adjusting any of that stuff isnt going to fix what is wrong inside the transmission...

have you towed the el camino (by dolly) at any point before you started noticing the shift problem, cause just so you know, when in neutral i believe the transmission still spins, while pushing the car around wont effect the trans, if you tow it like this, the trans is rotating along with the speed of the tow vehicle (if that make sense to you), the problem is the torque converter is not moving, so not cooling the trans, in that case you can third gear, in a sense the clutches may weld together from the heat
or a modulator problem (make sure the vacuum is hooked up to it, but it will usually shift late with this) or even a governor problem... your friend at the transmission shop should have been able to tell you exactly what it is, if he cant, we are going to get it down here and have my friend check it... or just take it to aamco if they give a free estimate and find out for sure... hope this helps...

take a pic of the passenger side of your transmission for me near the mount above the pan

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor