1980 El Camino Fresh New Paint!!! TELL ME WHAT U THINK???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1980 El Camino Fresh New Paint!!! TELL ME WHAT U THINK??

Lookin sweeet!!!!! Thats strange about the trans. But get ur save on for the 700 :mrgreen:

Other pics...Lookin clean bruh!

d89a4edd.jpg

a28f0877.jpg

Elco Warren

Yes sir. Mr waReen... Heard aloe of good reviews about those 700 trannys

lookin good... YES NO MORE ATTACHMENT PICS HAHAHAAHAHHAHA...

80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
Well guYs just got back form Mr.GM lol. And he said there is nothing wrong with the trans hits all 3 gears :wtf:
He said the linkage has nothing to do with it at all. He did mention something about my rear gear diff. He suggested to change them cause trans might be with low gear with rear gear. Idk?... since they are stock gears.. If changed might pick up some but not much more speed on freeway.

FYI I also stopped by two other transmission shop to have them tHem test drive it, and yup they said the same dayum thing, hits all 3 gears, possible rear diff ? :wtf:

Hahahahaha all three people that test drove Elko said to get a 7004r overdrive for freeway use. but that I was fine on streets with what I have know.... I guess I should start investing in a 700 for know. Thanks again guys :mrgreen:

I doubt its the rear gears bro, even if you did have lower gears your big rims would offset them somewhat and you should still be able to cruise at hwy speeds. I'm thinking you might have to adjust your kickdown cable or you might have a vacuum leak somewhere

I doubt its the rear gears bro, even if you did have lower gears your big rims would offset them somewhat and you should still be able to cruise at hwy speeds. I'm thinking you might have to adjust your kickdown cable or you might have a vacuum leak somewhere[/quote]
i agree

Elco looks good... Looks alot like my wife's. Hers is atomic orange with orange flakes in it. It's also an 80 with the single headlights however, she didnt want the 82 and up header panel. I'm on Irocs though.

kuruption109 said:
I doubt its the rear gears bro, even if you did have lower gears your big rims would offset them somewhat and you should still be able to cruise at hwy speeds. I'm thinking you might have to adjust your kickdown cable or you might have a vacuum leak somewhere
i agree
the vacuum modulator (not connected or improperly adjusted) will cause a very late shift, etc. then when it does finally shift it will feel like you have a stage three shift kit...lol... thats why i wanted him to take a pic of the modulator to see if the line is even there, pass side of trans, here is the thing, any trans shop, which he took it to several would have looked at that, or should have check that... its also easy to hook up a gauge and check the modulator, they are cheap to replace...

Saint, you can estimate the gear ratio pretty easily (which i dont think it is, you would have to have some pretty aggressive gears to run outta gear, with the 3 speed)

when i go to junk yards and look for rear ends, posi... it can be a task to take off the cover and try to count the pinion and ring gear to get the actual ratio... especially when its hot as hell out...

what u can do is this...

put the rear on stands, put car in neutral, block front and rear of front tires...lol

mark your tire, so that you can easily see and count its rotation... you can use masking tape for this... mark the yoke the same way... so that you can count full turns... have you wife rotate the tire one time. tell her to tell you when it has made a complete rotation... while she is rotating it, you need to count how many times the driveshaft/yoke etc, spins...

for example, if i jack my rear end up, put it on jack stands... mark my tire and yoke/or driveshaft... with my 3.73 gears... my tire will rotate once, as someone slowly rotates the tire for me, before they make a complete rotation of the tire, my yoke would have spun 3 full turns and stopped just shy of a 4th one... you can only get certain gear ratios, so i would then estimate that my yoke spun 3 times and then another 3/4 (or .75) of a turn, by the time, my tire rotated once, knowing that the closest ratio is 3.73, i can estimate fairly accurately...

if the tire spins once and at the same time, the yoke rotates about 2 1/2 times, then you are closer to 2.42. make sense?

for your rear end to wind out at about 45 miles per hour, thats got to be a big *ss gear in the rear and you would hve a harder time driving without sliding all over the place...

with my ford rear end, i am calculating my final drive ratio... which takes into account your tire size etc... i can calculate what my rpm will be at a certain speed and thus pick the correct gear ratio for what i want to do (top speed in a sense)...

lets say your tire diameter is 27.5" (total tire/rim)

you would have to have a 4.56 gear drive ratio for your rpm to be around 2507 at 45mph, in 3rd gear (which is 1:1)... if your rpm is higher at 45mph, then you would have to have an even bigger gear in the rear...

hope this makes sense...

Thanks guys for the info.... I'm so confuse know... Just want transmission to work good on freeway :(

Skippppppp OMG u lost me big time:..... I'm going to hit u up... this is all out my league.... Other things I can do on my own... But transmission / motor / and rear end ishhhhhh confuses me...

80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
Thanks guys for the info.... I'm so confuse know... Just want transmission to work good on freeway :(

Skippppppp OMG u lost me big time:..... I'm going to hit u up... this is all out my league.... Other things I can do on my own... But transmission / motor / and rear end ishhhhhh confuses me...
lol...

apparently alot of people estimate thier rear like that...for example, most people do it ten rotations... i just do it quick...

[youtube]2y9iqvO7RaU[/youtube]

or

[youtube]i_Enyf67KTs[/youtube]

i can figure it out, or close as i need to in one rotation, i dont wanna sit there and spin the tire around ten time, it like taking a pulse, for estimation purposes, just count the beats in 15 seconds and multiply by 4 for bpm...

Just pull the cover off ( you can get it chromed while you have it off.)
Look at the numbers stamped into the ring gear or the face of the pinion gear .
Divide the big number by the small number and you will know what gear ratio you have.
The smaller the # , say 2.25 is a HIGH GEAR. The bigger the # 4:10 Is a lower gear.

Ps your car is looking very good, Much better with the new old style mirrors.
You might just be having a bit of conflict with the tall rims ,and A high gear ratio.
Your car came with a 305 and 3 speed trans,with 14 or maybe 15 in wheels.

Attachments

• 336_ri11.jpg
    336_ri11.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 461
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor