1980 El Camino Fresh New Paint!!! TELL ME WHAT U THINK???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1980 El Camino Fresh New Paint!!! TELL ME WHAT U THINK??

80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
Super update !!!

Skip figured out what the hell was going on with Elko ...it was the dayum RPM tach!!! Lmao lmao lmao :rofl:

So skip got on the phone with me, told me to jump on the freeway and to punch it... I was scared out of my *ss... He diagnosis it over the phone and told me that car was Kool... That it had to be the rpm tach (of course it was a hand me down from Cousin when he wrecked his civic) wait till I see him !!lol

So I went home took off tach and put old dash tach wire back on, test drove again on freeway and
HURRRRRRRAY I WAS KEEPING UP WITH TRAFFIC ...lmao.. At 45mph I was like at 2000rpms , when I punched it to 70mph I was at about 2700rpm. And let tell u something if felt real good to say up with traffic and be abel to still punch it and just go alittle bit over 3000Rpms

I guess I was just trying to be more safe than sorry.... When I was seen 45mph at 4500rpms I was tripping and didn't want to go any faster(feel me).... But thanks SKIP alot!!!!! I knew there wasn't n e thing wrong with transmission...

Lesson to be learned...lmao. Don't buy n e thing from ur cousins..hahaha :rofl:

LOL diagnosis over the phone! I love it! good looking Skip.. and I guess Mr. GM was wrong too huh Big Saint? You should go rub it in his face lol

Saint...Skip just made a good point. I told him your tach came from a civic. He was saying that the tach is prolly setup for a 4 cyl engine. Yep...Man Im thinking there should be a switch or something so you can set the tach up for the engine you have. my 6al2 is like that. It has a "dip" switch so I can setup for 4-6-8 cyl engines....Glad you pushed thru your fear and just got on it bruh. Thats a fresh rebuild. Car is even more solid than the day it rolled off the assy line...Now get out there and smoke them tires up my man! :twisted:

Elco Warren 8)

v2vera said:
so we have came to the conclusion that you need one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Haynes-P ... 2c5eff390f

Jk big homie! but good investment lol

Lmao!! :rofl:

As a matter of fact I have one of those books ....hahahahaha... I should go smash on Mr.GM... Old as man...lol...

Well glad it was something silly no if you go hit the freeway around 75 or 80 you can figure your rear ration in 3rd I'm like 3700 which will equal close to my 373 ratio.

Bumpin1ohmSS said:
Saint...Skip just made a good point. I told him your tach came from a civic. He was saying that the tach is prolly setup for a 4 cyl engine. Yep...Man Im thinking there should be a switch or something so you can set the tach up for the engine you have. my 6al2 is like that. It has a "dip" switch so I can setup for 4-6-8 cyl engines....Glad you pushed thru your fear and just got on it bruh. Thats a fresh rebuild. Car is even more solid than the day it rolled off the assy line...Now get out there and smoke them tires up my man! :twisted:

Elco Warren 8)

Omg.. I feel so stupid not knowing it was my tach... Just wanted to stress that I'm so new to all this car stuff, and so glad that the GBF forum and 80z crew are here/ there for me....

Yea I did research on these auto gauge tach and I think I need to take off the back piece of the tach , and that's where the switch is located, it's not now where noticeable on the back of the tach. I will check it out tomorrow after church...

Lmao once again thanks guys

Dave V said:
Well glad it was something silly no if you go hit the freeway around 75 or 80 you can figure your rear ration in 3rd I'm like 3700 which will equal close to my 373 ratio.

Hey Dave,
Ok so I was hitting like 70 mph in 3rd and was at about or around 2600 to 2700 Rpms.... So I'm thinking 2.62 gears if there's any ????? But mos def getting my rear in with the money I thought I needed a rebuilt transmission with.

I need to hit these local yards and get on this posi unit. Think I might go with 3.42/ or 3.73 gears... We will see... But first I need to come up on a 3 series case.

Oh Im new to this stuff too bruh. I could be all wrong about the tach having a switch for whatever. Ive never installed one so Im in the dark about em like you. But we gotta give you maaad love for doing the install yourself bruh. Thats what its all about. What youve learned on this about here you can pass on to the next dude. Maybe a member more experienced with this style of tach will chime in and school us newbs one time.. I hope you out there roastin some tires :twisted:

Elco Warren 8)

i think you have a 2.73 ratio cause all there was 2.56 or 2.73 and i assume its the 2.73 ratio. im glad you got your ride all fixed and if your not gonna plan on running overdirve trans in the future i would go 3.42 gears but that just me.. later

Dave V said:
i think you have a 2.73 ratio cause all there was 2.56 or 2.73 and i assume its the 2.73 ratio. im glad you got your ride all fixed and if your not gonna plan on running overdirve trans in the future i would go 3.42 gears but that just me.. later
im sure he has a 2.73 stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor