1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon - G-T-faux (stuck with it, and can't shake it... like a bad case of herpes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After taking the whole family (Natasha got home last night after two weeks away) to MMA this morning in the wagon it was time for: rainy day projects!

Aka. sh*t I've been putting off.

First: install the rear GTO badge. A nerve racking success.

View attachment 90995

View attachment 90996

Second: install a 3rd brake light. It is mounted on a 11" long piece of aluminum angle. Added an LED plate bulb too.

View attachment 90997

View attachment 90998

Thirdly: pre-wire the auto glass popper I never really realized was in the gate.

View attachment 90999

Fourthmore: added another tailgate cable and hooked up the tension rod.

View attachment 91000

Later: the drip rail moldings.
I love the tag!!

I did that in garage with the car pointed out and the exhaust pointed in towards the back of garage, my wife would end our family and take 1/2 my ****.

On the drive back from MMA this morning Natasha leaned back into the pillow cushioned seats, closed her eyes, and enjoyed the vibrations. But, I will concede that open exhaust is her limit... our garage is detached and 50' from the house (she always knows where to find me).

Last edited:
And the 68-69 hood scoops to finish it off???....
The popper, Stock? Add on? I need more info😀

The plan is to eventually put NACA ducts in the hood to feed the air filter.

I am unsure if the popper was available in 1980, but this gate isn't original to this car... so it was definitely an option.

Yes, I have the glass popper in mine. Wired it up to the remote start/alarm system

The plan is to eventually put NACA ducts in the hood to feed the air filter.

I am unsure if the popper was available in 1980, but this gate isn't original to this car... so it was definitely an option.
Had to google what NACA ducts were. Never knew those scoops had a name...I'd like to one day do this mod.
I like your 3rd brake light add on. These cars need them.

Reactions: motorheadmike
3.5 hours to clean, fit, and install a mile of trim. FML. Used a bit of 3M double sided molding tape inside the channel to help keep it from flying off.

20180624_172134.jpg

20180624_172204_HDR.jpg

Fun fact: I believe that wagons have different outer A-pillar trim than sedans. It seems that on a wagon the long trim piece slides into the A-pillar piece, where sedans have an inner bracket to connect at the rail. So I chopped down the wagon's long trim to suit with a Dremel... and wouldn't ya know it was a different length left to right?

20180624_172223.jpg

Typical G-body drunken build tolerances I guess.

In the middle of redoing the front suspension right now with 5664 springs (.767" wire dia) from 5660s (.730" wire dia), and Proforged tall upper and lower ball joints.

The benefits are pretty clearly explained here:
http://www.pozziracing.com/proforged_first_.htm
http://www.pozziracing.com/second_gen_camaro_tall_bal.htm

I also added steering angle limiters to keep the wheels from rubbing on the fender liners are full lock.

I should point out that between the soft springs, lack of negative camber (static and gain), and the stupid wide wheels/tires - the fender liners have taken a total sh*t kicking from rubbing in just a few months of use. Hopefully the added spring rate and ball joints help resolve this... if not I will revisit my choice in shocks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor