1982 Monte E85 Blow Thru Procharged SBC Build *PICS and VIDS ADDED***RUNNING***

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Love it.

I’ve been there with the fuel pump prime mess because…………….I forgot something lol. I since have made all of my pumps with easy access to either the fuel pump(s) fuse or relay.

I’d love to see a video of what the FuelTech can do, and of course plenty about the car. Does it have a test mode for checking coils, injectors and any other outputs? I used an MS for about 2 years before I figured out how to use it (read that section of the manual), but omg does it make it easy to diagnose issues.

wingnutks

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2016
Love it.

I’ve been there with the fuel pump prime mess because…………….I forgot something lol. I since have made all of my pumps with easy access to either the fuel pump(s) fuse or relay.

I’d love to see a video of what the FuelTech can do, and of course plenty about the car. Does it have a test mode for checking coils, injectors and any other outputs? I used an MS for about 2 years before I figured out how to use it (read that section of the manual), but omg does it make it easy to diagnose issues.
Yea Fueltech has a way to test all inputs and outputs. Also has "live run" test mode. Basically you pick an RPM and throttle position with the car off but ecu on, and then press and hold the transbrake. As long as you hold the trans brake it will go thru all of your time based stuff in real time, like boost solenoid ramping, nitrous stuff...etc.

Hell Fueltech even has a way to do a compression test without ever opening the hood lol

Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Yea Fueltech has a way to test all inputs and outputs. Also has "live run" test mode. Basically you pick an RPM and throttle position with the car off but ecu on, and then press and hold the transbrake. As long as you hold the trans brake it will go thru all of your time based stuff in real time, like boost solenoid ramping, nitrous stuff...etc.

Hell Fueltech even has a way to do a compression test without ever opening the hood lol
All that & then some!

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Got about 90% of interior wiring done. Got power fed to the relay board using a circuit breaker. Once I run a ground I should be able to turn the key and the FT should power up and the switch panel should work.
View attachment 190461

View attachment 190462

I am surprised that battery is still in the engine bay... Is this part of your anti-wheelie strategy? ;)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

wingnutks

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2016
Reactions: 1 user

wingnutks

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2016
I made an update and walk thru video. I never made one of these before but it only took 15 mins so hopefully it helps someone or gives someone some ideas.

Reactions: 5 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You got me thinking, or I should say worrying because that's what I do, about the trans brake switch being inadvertently flipped on at the wrong time. I do have a 'master switch' that I can setup as a prerequisite for the trans brake output engagement. But after digging into this more, because I was worried about it lol, I'm able to setup the trans brake to not engage for numerous prereqisite's such as road speed, a separate trans brake input, the master switch and a general on/off switch to run a relay to power the trans brake output. The same goes for boost tables and timing tables for launch retard and such. I'm using a Holley.

Doesn't the Fuel Tech have similar setups where you can have one function be triggered by another function and/or set of variables? I'd love to see the software in action (hint, hint, another video like the one above) once you have this hooked up.

I'm going to try my hand at the video deal of the launch sequence once I get mine back together - in the driveway of course so as to keep the neighborhood relations at their current levels. Devin Vanderhoof had quite a discussion (video) about having your car ready for the track by practicing at home for a number of items - boost build, launch retard, driver sequence, etc. Basically implying to not have to waste time at the track trying to get sh*t working that can easily be tested at home.

I got off on a tangent somewhat, but it would be great to see a video of your Fuel Tech working with a camera on the laptop.

p.s. thanks for making me worry, I generally do my best thinking when I'm worrying/pressured about something. After resolving this on paper and in my head, I'm feeling good about not having my trans brake being allowed to engage inadvertently. I hope you can set yours up similarly.

Reactions: 3 users

wingnutks

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2016
You got me thinking, or I should say worrying because that's what I do, about the trans brake switch being inadvertently flipped on at the wrong time. I do have a 'master switch' that I can setup as a prerequisite for the trans brake output engagement. But after digging into this more, because I was worried about it lol, I'm able to setup the trans brake to not engage for numerous prereqisite's such as road speed, a separate trans brake input, the master switch and a general on/off switch to run a relay to power the trans brake output. The same goes for boost tables and timing tables for launch retard and such. I'm using a Holley.

Doesn't the Fuel Tech have similar setups where you can have one function be triggered by another function and/or set of variables? I'd love to see the software in action (hint, hint, another video like the one above) once you have this hooked up.

I'm going to try my hand at the video deal of the launch sequence once I get mine back together - in the driveway of course so as to keep the neighborhood relations at their current levels. Devin Vanderhoof had quite a discussion (video) about having your car ready for the track by practicing at home for a number of items - boost build, launch retard, driver sequence, etc. Basically implying to not have to waste time at the track trying to get sh*t working that can easily be tested at home.

I got off on a tangent somewhat, but it would be great to see a video of your Fuel Tech working with a camera on the laptop.

p.s. thanks for making me worry, I generally do my best thinking when I'm worrying/pressured about something. After resolving this on paper and in my head, I'm feeling good about not having my trans brake being allowed to engage inadvertently. I hope you can set yours up similarly.
Fueltech does have all that stuff, but in order to use it the TB has to go "thru" the ECU and that uses up an output. The way I have it wired the two step wire just sees relay voltage when I press my TB, but the TB button is going right to the TB. The ECU itself isnt activating the TB. Turbo guys almost always go thru the ECU because it is easier to do it that way if your going to use a bump button. Also, my transbrake wont engage in 2nd or 3rd even if I press it, but I did have my 2 step engage once in 2nd gear on my old set up. I am sure with the FT there is a way to lock out the 2 step any time the car is in motion ( I have a driveshaft sensor).
My old set up at activation switches too, only difference is the TB and the line lock each had their own activation switch. The way I have it hooked up now is the one switch gives power to both the TB and the line lock. I have to look again, but as of now I have 3 outputs left and those outputs can be pos or neg.

I dont think I will be doing anymore videos like that lol.

Reactions: 2 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Fueltech does have all that stuff, but in order to use it the TB has to go "thru" the ECU and that uses up an output. The way I have it wired the two step wire just sees relay voltage when I press my TB, but the TB button is going right to the TB. The ECU itself isnt activating the TB. Turbo guys almost always go thru the ECU because it is easier to do it that way if your going to use a bump button. Also, my transbrake wont engage in 2nd or 3rd even if I press it, but I did have my 2 step engage once in 2nd gear on my old set up. I am sure with the FT there is a way to lock out the 2 step any time the car is in motion ( I have a driveshaft sensor).
My old set up at activation switches too, only difference is the TB and the line lock each had their own activation switch. The way I have it hooked up now is the one switch gives power to both the TB and the line lock. I have to look again, but as of now I have 3 outputs left and those outputs can be pos or neg.

I dont think I will be doing anymore videos like that lol.
I ]t was informative. I watched it & would have watched another if you did more.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor