1984 Chevy El Camino (Build Up and Progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1984 Chevy El Camino

The rollpan does look nice. I do not like the fiberglass ones. They look cheesy. BTW, what taillights will you be running? And judging by the new license plate pocket in the pan, you're going to fill (shave) the tailgate. Should look nice.
When you get ready to fill the tailgate pocket, can you post some pics of it in progress?
That would be cool.

Wowowowowow im really feeling those bumpers.....keep it up...post more pics

skip foose at it again shutting things down for the day. top notch build man. like i was joking around with elco warren when are you gonna slide up to the bay haha i need a lil electrical help :wink:

Dave V said:
nice to know we got a guy local that knows his ls stuff cause that is still my goal one day.....6.0 vortec max motor for me.... nice shop and the roll pan will look good once its all set in....
thanks, all this stuff done in our own garages... with the exception of my friend Danny and his "shop" is a huge garage his dad built on their property in Perris... hes a good dude... cant beat good help...

youngdeezy said:
skip foose at it again shutting things down for the day. top notch build man. like i was joking around with elco warren when are you gonna slide up to the bay haha i need a lil electrical help :wink:
lol. i think i may be up there before the end of the year... not sure yet though... loss of family member may have me out there next week...

Longroof79 said:
The rollpan does look nice. I do not like the fiberglass ones. They look cheesy. BTW, what taillights will you be running? And judging by the new license plate pocket in the pan, you're going to fill (shave) the tailgate. Should look nice.
When you get ready to fill the tailgate pocket, can you post some pics of it in progress?
That would be cool.
yeh, ill do more picts on that, gonna be looking for another tailgate though, this one has some irritating issues, that i dont know if I wanna fix.. may be shaving the tailgate in , not sure yet though (meaning, welding and flushing all the seams so that it does not open... and is 100% smooth, I have a reason for this too 8) )...

but ill just get some metal and practice on this one, i like welding now... and ill take some picts of how i would do it, this is a pretty simple job (as far as the license plate bucket), biggest thing with any long panels, or thin metal (ie body panel) is to be careful with warping, control your heat and basically dont do a continuous bead all the way around the pocket. as with the door handles, your gonna wanna tack up a section at a time, almost like tightening a tire if that makes sense. as you are welding all the heat is melting and pulling together and will ripple pretty quick... so just penetrating tack welds in different spots, will do fine... then grind down... and tack up what ever holes you missed, will thank yourself in the end... in fact ill cut a section of the tailgate out and do a continuous bead to show the warp, well maybe...

Longroof79 said:
what taillights will you be running?
not quite sure, Danny has some caddy lights laying around, but we would have to weld in buckets and i wanted the light originally in the roll pan (not on the corners like ive seen)... with the pointed ends toward the sides of the el co... now once its done all the weld work on the pan... ill figure it out, prob one long light flushed in between the roll pan and the gate... its a very little gap there now and it looks alot better, so a nice run brake turn single strip led would look awesome there...

Dave V said:
you can mount a fire and ice led time unit in there that has brake and reverse lights built in i have one on my truck and its cool.
Dave,

where do I get one from and are they local... do you have an picts. what i found was on xtralights.com 49" long, but seemed priced cheap and havent purchased anything from them before, hard to trust people...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor