1984 ElCO Rear disc brake upgrade...

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, yesterday was my bday, didnt get much done, but wanted to finish the brakes up, went all the down to paramount and got some ARP studs... the damn things were thicker than the reg studs, so i called the guy back. he told me i have to have them pressed in, we will see...

HAPPY BELATED B DAY!!!!! Hahahaha did i say that right

i dont think you have to have them "pressed" in? i just swapped my original studs for longer ones(damn offset!)gave me an extra 3 inch thread i needed to mount the wheels my client wanted on the el.ive also done this(replacing studs) on a couple of my 4x4's,and all ive done is install them from the back side of axle flange,snug up original lugnut and set in place by using cresent,channel locks and turning clockwise(tightning)them enough so that they stay stationary.now with them set momentarilary i back off the lugnuts,mount rim/tire then install lugnuts(closed end specialty nuts)and tighten so that nuts are pulled through/set flush with axle flange.hope you had a good day,and drank some of that good beer(the kind other people buy :wink: )staying glued to my laptop for the progress report :mrgreen:

Happy B-day. I'm in the process of cleaning everything up. The rotors are ready. I wanna clean up the calipers a little bit more. I got some degreaser but I need a real stiff brush. I got some engine paint in a color similar to the color I'm paint the car. I'll try it out and put up some pics tonight.

L.A.X-RATED said:
i dont think you have to have them "pressed" in? i just swapped my original studs for longer ones(damn offset!)gave me an extra 3 inch thread i needed to mount the wheels my client wanted on the el.ive also done this(replacing studs) on a couple of my 4x4's,and all ive done is install them from the back side of axle flange,snug up original lugnut and set in place by using cresent,channel locks and turning clockwise(tightning)them enough so that they stay stationary.now with them set momentarilary i back off the lugnuts,mount rim/tire then install lugnuts(closed end specialty nuts)and tighten so that nuts are pulled through/set flush with axle flange.hope you had a good day,and drank some of that good beer(the kind other people buy :wink: )staying glued to my laptop for the progress report :mrgreen:
these are ARP studs bro, needed to be pressed in, cant, put them in and use nut either, was no way I could beat em in and didnt want to risk the flanges, the guy had a hard time pressing them in too... the chance you run with doing it another way, wasnt worth it to me, anyhow, update coming very shortly... yeh, sippin a little too

80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
HAPPY BELATED B DAY!!!!! Hahahaha did i say that right
melman109 said:
Happy Belated birthday big bro!
thank you... kids made me elmo and cookie monster cupcake, funniest sh*t ever and I didnt expect that, they remembered me telling them a while back that they elmo was my favorite character growing up...

bad pics but you get the point
IMG_20110909_192054.jpg

IMG_20110909_192042.jpg

so, today i pulled the axles out, had the arps ($55) pressed in and put the axles back in, put the wheel on and test fit the rim/rotor etc on, to see how much i needed to cut the studs, they were 3", cut them down by 1 1/2"...

IMG_20110909_132011.jpg

IMG_20110909_154913.jpg

IMG_20110910_132513.jpg

IMG_20110910_134446.jpg

IMG_20110910_133527.jpg

picked up my parts to make shock relocation brackets, 3/16" thick angle iron (each side 1.5")... picked up some grade 8 bolts, washers and lock nuts, while i was at it...

made the brackets 1.5" wide... got out the grinder, and unibits, made these in about 5 minutes, and primered them for now...

IMG_20110910_111833.jpg

marked my lines...
IMG_20110910_113609.jpg

drilled holes first then cut...

IMG_20110910_120659.jpg

IMG_20110910_114941.jpg

needed two of them obviously, cleaned them up a little and primered them...
IMG_20110910_121532.jpg

IMG_20110910_125122.jpg

Reactions: CuttyKid442
the bolts and stock shock bolt fit real tight, so had to out the new bolt in first without a washer... then the shock mount, took the stock shock bolt off the shock bracket on rear end... stay with me... :rofl:
IMG_20110910_134512.jpg

IMG_20110910_134741.jpg

IMG_20110910_134753.jpg

then fit it together... on my bracket... to test fit the bolts...
IMG_20110910_142011.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor