1984 ElCO Rear disc brake upgrade...

Status
Not open for further replies.
pontiacgp said:
this is the OEM bracket for the ebrake....they look easy to fab if you can't find them..

DSCF5263.jpg
already have something easy in mind, drilling a hole in an lbracket and cutting a slot into it, like the end of the piece in the pic you posted... saw that in one of the links in my earlier posts, but i wanna try to clean it up a bit... i dont really care about the ebrake, but i might as well have everything working...

gotta figure out how to do this with this...

IMG_20110911_120738.jpg

IMG_20110911_120728.jpg

gonna be working on it next, its 57" from flange to flange, which is fine and slightly shorter than stock... but i gotta figure out if im just going to shorten it and do it all the way up, back half and 4 link the car, right now or later... i can use the rear at its current length and get a 12" under the rear, by modding the fender well, if i notch the frame, even a little wider, but i have my mind set of a 18" wide back tire, so... may be building two rear ends

my only hold up on finishing this setup, is I have to figure out how to install the adjustable prop valve and t off the front brakes, without having to cut and put new fittings on the lines to work with the t and prop valve, all the damn factory fittings are different... I may just have to cut them and re flare them like i did the back, but you would think it would be simpler... :evil:

i went out and got a tee, that works from the two lines that go from the stock block to the front brakes, but the line coming from the master c, has a larger fitting, so would need to be cut and reflared with a small fittin or a new line ran, which is prob easier... i found some lines at napa tht hv diff size fittings on each end tht may work...

then there is the line from the stock prop valve to the rear tht needs to be done... didnt want to just start just cutting stuff and didnt want to do all new, lines, seems like this should be simple, but have never done this before... will figure this out shortly

at worst, going to be doing something like this, napa sells the 2 lines going from the master cylinder, one will go to the t for the front brakes, the other to the proportioning valve...

the two lines that go from the stock prop valve to the two front brakes, already screw into the t fitting fine...

so that will leave just one cut and flare with a new fitting for the stock brake line into the adj prop valve and it will be done...

propvlv.jpg

the t im going to use for the front... just have to cut the fitting off the stock line (stock prop side) and use the smaller one to go into the t...

IMG_20110918_142625.jpg

got a couple of brake line unions, got one line (from Napa) that already has the fittings and lines flared (proper fitting to go straight into the master cylinder to the adj prop valve...), the from the adj prop valve out, using another Napa line adapter into a union... will have to cut the stock fitting off of the stock (1/4") brake line that goes to the rear of the car for the rear brakes and put on the new fitting off of this line... should work fine and be what i need for now, until i move all this stuff to under the dash, for the reverse 90 setup...

IMG_20110918_142621.jpg

IMG_20110918_142609-1.jpg

IMG_20110918_142641-1.jpg

IMG_20110918_142632-1.jpg

I got my rotors, caliper brackets and backing plates painted black. My daughter says they look good. I put them all in the sand blaster then cleaned them up with degreaser before painting. Everything looks good, but I still dont know what color to paint the calipers I may go with the aluminum color. One more question though. Should I have used primer beore painting? it all looks pretty good without it. I probably wouldn't have had to use so much paint if I had.

redboy504 said:
I got my rotors, caliper brackets and backing plates painted black. My daughter says they look good. I put them all in the sand blaster then cleaned them up with degreaser before painting. Everything looks good, but I still dont know what color to paint the calipers I may go with the aluminum color. One more question though. Should I have used primer beore painting? it all looks pretty good without it. I probably wouldn't have had to use so much paint if I had.
sometimes the primer helps, I didnt used primer, but I painted the stuff initially, then sanded it down lightly, then repainted. you can use the high temp primer, then wetsand it down, then paint, may stick better in long run. I did have slight adhesion issue before i sanded it down and painted. next thing i woulda done was just powder the stuff, since my powder coater doesnt charge me much for stuff like this, but wanted to make this as cost friendly a thread as possible...

LSCustoms said:
once i set it all up under the dash in the car, i will be running all new line, etc

I used cunifer to make all new lines last year. It's more expensive than steel but it's easy to bend without tools and it never corrodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor