1984 ElCO Rear disc brake upgrade...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the size on the brake lines? And is Stainless steel any good? I like the look against the black background of the rear end. I'm changing the lines on the rearend since they are so old.

redboy504 said:
What's the size on the brake lines? And is Stainless steel any good? I like the look against the black background of the rear end. I'm changing the lines on the rearend since they are so old.
if you are using a disc/disc stock style prop valve, you dont need to do anything with the brake lines... i wanted the adj one so the fittings on that are smaller than the fittings on the line coming from the master cyl. then the lines have to be adapted from the smaller size coming from the new adj prop valve to the larger rear line going to the back brakes.

there are other prop valves that may work, from different companies, so hard to give you def. answer.

87ttop said:
Can I use my 15 inch rallies with this brake upgrade
more than likely, NO. the stock LS1 wheels are 16", this would prob be the smallest tire you can use for this setup, but most kits you buy will be the same tire fitment issue and warn you of this. however, i have not actually tried to put a 15" on the car, but it doesnt look like it would fit

if you think about it, the rotor size for this is 12", the caliper and bracket stick out further than this... so you dont have much room to play with

DSCN1796.jpg

87ttop said:

All the threads I read on this, say no stock 15 inch steel rims will clear. But most Aftermarket rims will. And some require alittle grinding on the top of the caliper. My aftermarket 15 inch rims clears my LS1 brakes with not modding. IDK y, but it is wat it is.

87ttop said:

I run the 15" 85-88 SS wheels on my monte ( see my avatar ) with the LS1 rear brakes so they work, I picked up a set of 83-84 Monte Carlo steel rallys and will try them when I park the car for the winter.

I know for sure the Chrome 15" SSII wheels from the 442 wouldn't fit , and I don't think the 15" chrome GN wheels fit either.

axisg said:
87ttop said:

I run the 15" 85-88 SS wheels on my monte ( see my avatar ) with the LS1 rear brakes so they work, I picked up a set of 83-84 Monte Carlo steel rallys and will try them when I park the car for the winter.

I know for sure the Chrome 15" SSII wheels from the 442 wouldn't fit , and I don't think the 15" chrome GN wheels fit either.
good info, as i am looking for some stocks to take the 22s off the el co, want some zq8s (which i know will fit)

axisg said:
87ttop said:

well dammit ! The stock 15" steel rally wheels won't fit over the LS1 rear brakes on my car.
There is about -1/2" clearance between the wheel and the top of the caliper (which is about the same as the alum wheels). The wheel slips on and over the lugnuts and the caliper but will not seat against the rotor face. Problem is the caliper hits the back face of the rim. I could "in theory" put some washers or a wheel spacer ( about 1/4" ) to move the wheel farther out and make them fit but that's not my style...... I took some pics with my phone but they turned out all dark. Little bummed out because I put about 10 hours into cleaning up these steel rims in the hopes they would fit.

Sorry if I hi-jacked the post BTW

I'm definitely doing this conversion on my car asap. But I want to go with the Flynbye.com braket for the 12" rotor. I've been trying to call them but no answer. So i want to know what other cars besides an f-body could we use the calipers off of. Maybe a cts or a c5 vette? Somebody let me know something.

442_7.5ltr said:
I'm definitely doing this conversion on my car asap. But I want to go with the Flynbye.com braket for the 12" rotor. I've been trying to call them but no answer. So i want to know what other cars besides an f-body could we use the calipers off of. Maybe a cts or a c5 vette? Somebody let me know something.
to use their bracket, you need to get LT1 style rear disc setup and NOT LS1 style as I have on the el co...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor