1984 monte carlo track car project

Status
Not open for further replies.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I picked up this handy little thing http://equus.com/Product/Detail/1ED4E43 ... 36BC2E44BE
makes tuning a dream...

Your mechanical timing will depend on the centrifugal weights and the stiffness of the springs. You can get a recurve kit and experiment with different combinations.

Generally on a large cam motor, you want the mechanical/total advance as quickly *ss possible... to make up for the lost torque from the lopey cam.

This will also be dictated by your fuel supply and your motors egerness to jump rpms quickly without detonation

Most medium to light weight springs will get you full mechanical advance between 3000rpm - 4000rpm

one good way to tune for the track is to rev your motor until it can no longer advance, then set your max timing here. In general scenerios, a rowdy SBC likes anywhere from 34-38 degrees.

And depending on your springs/weights, this will occur anywhere from 3000 to 4000rpm.

Dugan

Greasemonkey
Jun 15, 2011
khan0165 said:
I picked up this handy little thing http://equus.com/Product/Detail/1ED4E43 ... 36BC2E44BE
makes tuning a dream...

Your mechanical timing will depend on the centrifugal weights and the stiffness of the springs. You can get a recurve kit and experiment with different combinations.

Generally on a large cam motor, you want the mechanical/total advance as quickly *ss possible... to make up for the lost torque from the lopey cam.

This will also be dictated by your fuel supply and your motors egerness to jump rpms quickly without detonation

Most medium to light weight springs will get you full mechanical advance between 3000rpm - 4000rpm

one good way to tune for the track is to rev your motor until it can no longer advance, then set your max timing here. In general scenerios, a rowdy SBC likes anywhere from 34-38 degrees.

And depending on your springs/weights, this will occur anywhere from 3000 to 4000rpm.

Thanks for the info, I knew about the spring n weights but never knew how to use different types to advantage the timing faster. I'll have to pickup a kit at work n look up how to do it. What is an ideal fuel pressure for a 770 holley avenger double pumper. Everyone keeps saying the carb will be too big also. The car seems to eat It up not under load.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
looks like the only addtional thing the MSD has are bushings... You'll have to look at your distributor and see if you'll need the bushings. Otherwise, the other brand will work just as well.

As a rule of thumb, lighter springs & lighter weights will get your timing advanced quicker. Heavier springs & heavier weights will get your timing advanced slower.

I'm afraid to comment on the carb... Seems like any time I suggest a big carb, people bark and say it's too big...
... but in my experience, a 750 can work on a rowdy 350, for track use.

Yes, it's too much carb for daily driving, but on the track it really helps at high rpms.

I use a Holley 750, mechanical secondaries, on my 350 with L98 heads and 282S cam (495 lift, 236dur @ 0.050, 282 addvertised duration). The 650 would fall on it's face past 5000rpm. The 750 is running 72/82 jets.

my distributor has medium springs, timing is 34 degrees total all in by 3700rpm, lands at 17 deg at idle. No vac advance
I have experimented with more/less timing... I get detonation if I bring 34deg under 3000rpm, which is about 40deg total at 3700rpm

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
just caught up on the thread.

I like the guages. I was going with something similar but I wanted the interior looking as stock as possible. I went with this. Got turn signal indicators and everything.

IMG00164-20110512-2100.jpg

I put the tach in the center vent and the shift light is behind the vent on the left. believe it or not I see it all perfectly.

here is a night shot

IMG00165-20110512-2106.jpg

Crazcnuk

Apprentice
Aug 26, 2011
Hinton, AB
Dugan said:
That's where you hold the throttle at like 3000rpms n retime the motor for 36 degrees right

Kind of. You don't re time the motor, you change the springs/weights in the in the distributor. You set your initial timing at whatever you need to (for me 12deg BTDC) then you change the weights to get the correct maximum timing and then change the springs to adjust how fast or slow the extra timing is applied ie: 36deg all-in at 3200rpm.

For most motors, at the drag strip, the timing, stall converter, etc are all set so that it runs at pretty much the max settings for the whole run.

On my friend's alcohol roadster his distributor is 'fixed' at 40deg advance and has no provision for change. All he can adjust is the intitial timing. However, he launches at 5500rpm so there is no need for timing that 'moves', as his motor is never run at an rpm where the timing would need to be different.

To make this easy my friend has a machine to do this. You take the distributor out of the car, put it in this machine, hook up the wires and each time you run it it shows all the timing, rpm, etc., and you can play with it from there.

You can buy the distributor 'recurve' kit at any performance store. It comes with a selection of weights and springs for the distributor you have.

For racing purposes you ignore vacuum advance all together, and unhook it at the track.

Dugan

Greasemonkey
Jun 15, 2011
GhettoRacingKid said:
just caught up on the thread.

I like the guages. I was going with something similar but I wanted the interior looking as stock as possible. I went with this. Got turn signal indicators and everything.

IMG00164-20110512-2100.jpg

I put the tach in the center vent and the shift light is behind the vent on the left. believe it or not I see it all perfectly.

here is a night shot

IMG00165-20110512-2106.jpg

Yea thats kind of what I did for my shift light, I cut a circle in the panel behind the idiot lights that held the bulbs n placed the shift light there so when I hit the rpms all the colors light up

Idn if you guys can view this but its a vid of my car running. Was breaking up because I was trying to lean it out because our red were on fire but the car wants 2.5 turns on each side to run good. I put it back to 1.75 and it was hesitating on a snapped throttle
http://m.facebook.com/?w2m&_rdr#!http:/ ... 8dadaf19ce

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Edit...
as Crazcnuk said...

when tuning your timing curve, it might be simipler to set idle timing and then see where total lands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor