1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
Québec City, Québec CANADA
The $1000 price was fair for a unique and interesting motor like this Turbo carbed 3.8. I almost went and bought a 4 BBL Pontiac OHC 6 for the same price. I also like something different. You have one unique car here. How many 4 door sedans still exit, can't be many. Upgraded suspension, a Monte SS TH2004R, 3.73 posi with 4 wheel disk brakes and the icing on the cake, a carbed Turbo Buick 3.8 V6 with the GN cam upgrade. I say improve the down pipe and exhaust as much as you can from factory, should help boost power even more. You will have a real fun, unique car when done, looking good so far.
Thanks a lot :)

I expect next summer to be challenging, however, as the engine drop and its tuning is something that I expect to require a lot of commitment! Actually, this will likely be a two-season adventure... :)

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
The $1000 price was fair for a unique and interesting motor like this Turbo carbed 3.8. I almost went and bought a 4 BBL Pontiac OHC 6 for the same price. I also like something different. You have one unique car here. How many 4 door sedans still exit, can't be many. Upgraded suspension, a Monte SS TH2004R, 3.73 posi with 4 wheel disk brakes and the icing on the cake, a carbed Turbo Buick 3.8 V6 with the GN cam upgrade. I say improve the down pipe and exhaust as much as you can from factory, should help boost power even more. You will have a real fun, unique car when done, looking good so far.
For what car would you have used the Pontiac OHC 6?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
For what car would you have used the Pontiac OHC 6?
I seriously considered it for my 70 Olds Cutlass S. There is a guy in Europe who did a frame off 73 Olds Omega, a really nice car. It had a cracked factory Inline 6. He found one over there, added the Sniper EFI and still 3 on the tree, very cool.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
I seriously considered it for my 70 Olds Cutlass S. There is a guy in Europe who did a frame off 73 Olds Omega, a really nice car. It had a cracked factory Inline 6. He found one over there, added the Sniper EFI and still 3 on the tree, very cool.
Wow, that would have been awesome. Cutlasses with 350s and 455s are cool, but with an OHC inline 6...!!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
20230114_161738.jpg

Moved the engine on its craddle (it's a Chevy SB craddle from Jegs), installed the headers and next, it's the intake.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What headers are those? Look pretty good.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Some headers bought on eBay a long time ago, very cheap, made in China - they fit nicely. Searched for a set recently and they are gone..
Yeah, similar to the Oldsmobile headers I bought. Extremely cheap, well made and Stainless. Also no longer available. I also have a set on my 2000 Dakota, only a couple of sets left of those.

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
A lot of cleaning and sorting in the "parts bin" lately, and a lot of reading.

So the 1979 engine I bought has many 1980 features, which is something that happens - transitions in technology are not always happening as the model year changes.

The carb on that 1979 engine is more like a 1980. It's a quadrajet 17081243, E4ME which means it's made to run with a CCC - has the "mixture control solenoid". I also have a turbo, non-CCC carb in my parts bin, but it's in poor shape.

CCC carb is on the right - has a MCS and TPS sensor also. The Riviera carb on the left is GM part 17080242, a M4ME carb.

IMG_20230122_162135.jpg

After some reading, I will go with the E4ME carb - as my 1984 already uses the E2ME - in theory, changing the ECM, using a boost-ready MAP sensor and a CCC HEI distributor should be a direct fit.

Found a reman 1983 Buick Regal Turbo 3.8 ECM on eBay, thinking that will work well in my context.

A few missing parts on the 1979 carb, will start working on that.

In parallel, the turbo and carb plenum are being cleaned up.

I also have a CCC distributor needing some attention.

stew86MCSS396

Greasemonkey
Aug 1, 2022
(808)
Nice project journey!!! After reading all 36 pages...as much as I wanted you to see it through, there's a lengthy read over at gearhead-efi. The project was TBI odd fire Buick v6 that the thread starter couldn't get the "distributor ref pulse" to fire the injectors at the correct time. I can see employing a crank trigger might be the hot ticket.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor