1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
Québec City, Québec CANADA
Wondering what will I do to bench test this engine.

The engine can run, with a CCC-disconnected distributor and carb. Not going to bench test this with an extra ECM plugged in... or am I... Apparently, a disconnected mixture control solenoid on the Qjet will make the engine run very rich. Not sure what a disconnected CCC distributor will do (the 4-wire advance control plug), I guess that will make it impossible to test the engine at different RPMs.

On the other end, I could use (just for bench testing) a non CCC distributor -happen to have a turbo setup. Will make for a better bench testing, but, but but BUT I will need to replace the distributor once in the car, and, well, .... adds unknown variables - is that Turbo module any good, never tried it, bought years ago... what if it does not work, ... blargh.

Think I will just put the CCC distributor in, and make the bench testing really quick - before dropping the engine in the car with the full ECM/CCC wiring plugged in.

20230123_192111.jpg

Last edited:

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
Nice project journey!!! After reading all 36 pages...as much as I wanted you to see it through, there's a lengthy read over at gearhead-efi. The project was TBI odd fire Buick v6 that the thread starter couldn't get the "distributor ref pulse" to fire the injectors at the correct time. I can see employing a crank trigger might be the hot ticket.
Thanks for dropping by!

Yeah I quit the odd fire part - had to sell the engine because I moved :) Moved on to a turbo carb Buick V6 - even fire :)

Reactions: 1 user

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
After closer inspection... the CCC carb was not only missing a few screws, but that happened because some "internals" were removed, on top of the vaccum pulloffs and the choke. The pump was missing.

So I am playing with all these rods and tiny parts... using spare parts from retired Qjets & also ordered a few parts from quadrajetpower.com

The CCC metering rods were missing
... compared to my spare Turbo carb which had CP metering rods... so will use similar, a bit richer 440 rods. 🫠

Unsurprisingly, the carb is very clean.

20230124_172450.jpg

20230124_173724.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
Shelving the carburator until I get the missing parts, should be next week.

Turbo cleaned and installed. Will have to think about what to do with the header-to-turbo pipe. Fabrication required.

20230125_103337.jpg

IMG_20230125_142021.jpg

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Show a close up of the header and pipe. I imagine you want as little restriction as possible but I am no blow through turbo expert. Crazy how small the intake flange is.

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
Show a close up of the header and pipe. I imagine you want as little restriction as possible but I am no blow through turbo expert. Crazy how small the intake flange is.
Indeed, that's very small intake flange!

The header output is 2.25" OD, so I might as well getting 2.25" ID pipe and work from there. The header was "butchered" for a previous project, so I'll have to work with it in that state. The OEM turbo intake pipe is a mere 2" OD.

Crazy how close the carb/intake plenum is close to the left valve cover...!

20230126_183129.jpg

20230126_183140.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
continuing the assembly, piece by piece. there's a funny little RED manifold between the intake and the carb plenum for the EGR valve.

Tested the EGR valve, it could not hold any vaccuum, so needs to be replaced.

20230127_124236.jpg

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
20230204_144339.jpg
20230204_144211.jpg

Moderate progress has been made - mostly waiting for parts to come in.

I worked on a CCC distributor core, but it seems like it's no good - suspecting that its lower part is slightly bent - making the shaft teeth scrape the reluctor. Tried two different shafts, both have the same behaviour, hence the core is likely the culprit.

So, time for another CCC core... Or maybe will I modify a non-CCC core that I already have in my parts bin - the core needs an extra screw + an opening for the extra CCC wire loom.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
View attachment 215473 View attachment 215474

Moderate progress has been made - mostly waiting for parts to come in.

I worked on a CCC distributor core, but it seems like it's no good - suspecting that its lower part is slightly bent - making the shaft teeth scrape the reluctor. Tried two different shafts, both have the same behaviour, hence the core is likely the culprit.

So, time for another CCC core... Or maybe will I modify a non-CCC core that I already have in my parts bin - the core needs an extra screw + an opening for the extra CCC wire loom.
Do you have a pinout of the Oldsmobile CCC? I can only find info on the Chevy one, thanks.

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
After checking out a non-CCC distributor, it would need too much modifications to be converted to use all the CCC modules/wires etc. Bought a used CCC distributor core and... will wait.

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor