1985 Monte SS drag car build

Joshua Dyson

Joshua Dyson

Apprentice
Feb 26, 2017
I have a chance to pick up a 8.8 from a 1986 mustang gt for $75 from a buddy at work. It has a posi but it’s weak and it has 2:73 gears, it also has no brake hardware. I’ve been researching the swap and depending on what you want it could get really pricy. I did find the trick chassis swap I/c brackets and control arms for $249 on their site and I already have double adjustable lowers with heim joints. Do you think it would be a good deal considering I would have to re-gear it, rebuild the posi and drill the axles?

lilbowtie

lilbowtie

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
That's for you to choose - I would personally buy a bolt in nine inch w/ axle package for around $700.00(new). You get to choose want ends you want on, axle splines, and bolt pattern. Nine inch pigs are cheap and for a drag car I'd run a spool. If your close to me I have one w/ 4.11 for $200.00. Plus you have a little more insurance over the 8.8

B

bracketchev1221

Master Mechanic
Jan 18, 2018
That's for you to choose - I would personally buy a bolt in nine inch w/ axle package for around $700.00(new). You get to choose want ends you want on, axle splines, and bolt pattern. Nine inch pigs are cheap and for a drag car I'd run a spool. If your close to me I have one w/ 4.11 for $200.00. Plus you have a little more insurance over the 8.8
I think I would go with the bolt in 9” as well. I have been looking to see what would be best and I can’t beat the packages available.

Joshua Dyson

Joshua Dyson

Apprentice
Feb 26, 2017
That’s what I was thinking as well after I did the math I was up to $600 not including brakes. The worst part is I had a stock pile of 9 inch parts 2 years ago, one with 3:50 gears and a posi. When I sold my cutlass I sold off all those parts. Now I’m kicking myself in the a**

Macguyver

Macguyver

SOUTHSIDE MACHINE PERFORMANCE
GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
I have a chance to pick up a 8.8 from a 1986 mustang gt for $75 from a buddy at work. It has a posi but it’s weak and it has 2:73 gears, it also has no brake hardware. I’ve been researching the swap and depending on what you want it could get really pricy. I did find the trick chassis swap I/c brackets and control arms for $249 on their site and I already have double adjustable lowers with heim joints. Do you think it would be a good deal considering I would have to re-gear it, rebuild the posi and drill the axles?
Have you considered the Explorer 8.8" swap?

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/southside-machine-performance-ford-explorer-8-8-swap-kit.70009/

Joshua Dyson

Joshua Dyson

Apprentice
Feb 26, 2017
I got just about everything I need to put the car back together. It’s like Christmas in my garage 😂. The cage was backordered and it finally showed up today. I got my entire fuel system, poly body mounts, summit 3 way adjustable drag shocks, a tci fast gate shifter, sphon rear shock relocation brackets hopefully the 15x10’s clear them if not I’ll have to drill new holes for the shock mount(they were hitting the wheels) I also have the rear seat support which is tacked in place now. I ended up getting a set of 28 10.50 Mickey Thompson e/t drags, they were on sale at Jegs I ended up paying $168 a piece. I also scored some weld draglite 15x8 front runners with almost new 26 8.50 Mickey-Thompson sportsman tires for $200. I think I’m going to end up getting a bolt in 9” from quick performance I spoke with them and a bolt in rear with 4:10’s and a drag spool with disc brakes is $1650 shipped not bad. I’ll have to save up for that. Now I just need time. I can’t wait to get this beast going.