1986 Olds Cutlass Salon Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Re: 1986 Olds Cutlass Salon Thread(About Time!)

You talked about using a Hurst Olds type hood and cutting your hood under it to provide more room. I did this and you can see pics of it in my photo album just click the camera button link. Also some places have a 100 octane pump gas that might work in place of actual race fuel. You might find some companys that offer it on the net and see if there are any stations within driving distance. Also you can do a mix of Xylene & pump premium up to 1/3 Xylene for up to a 100 octane mix just add a few ounces of Marvel mystry oil or other lubricant since Xylene has no lubricant. Xylene is a 117 octane paint thinner that you can buy sometimes wholesale at a paint store often in up to 5 gallons cans. Its may be cheaper and more available than race fuel in some places and is a lot easier to bring home since 5 gallons works with a full tank. I used to do this with my GN prior to installing a methanol injection system. Methanol does not work as well for you as you would need it all the time and the GN only needs it at full boost.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009

I remember a post on here sometime ago about using alternatives to race fuels, the speed shop that sells 110 octane is only 4 miles from my house and its 75 feet away from the gas station too. My thing here about the race fuel is, if its cheaper than 110 octane,is not a hassle to mix and isnt expensive i will give it a try, because i dont have $42 every time i want to drive my cutlass.

I am also still thinking of what to do with my induction system and the hood.I've talked about getting a cowl induction hood,a hurst/olds scoop and using under-bumper scoops as a way to get cool air into the engine. Right now, all the work i've did to the cutlass this winter was drivetrain wise,i want to retain a stock look on the outside and a somewhat stock interior. I plan on getting my exhaust done up, save for a rear and then figure out what i want to do for an induction system. I like what you did there but to retain a stock granny look i'm thinking of the under bumper-scoops since they are low profile and underneath the car.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis

Looks great!

Either re-route or replace your shifter cable for that Hurst shifter. The stock shifters are garbage...

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009

blake- what shifter cable are you using and what length is it? I've noticed when i had the stock cable hooked up to the transmission,it would be just a hair short of bolting up to the hurst shifter, so i ended up using a 5 ft length double eyelet one from hurst,bolts up and all but it is a tad big.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I used the cable that came with my B&M Megashifter. I believe it's also 5 feet long.

Just have to be careful how you loop it around so it still operates smoothly...

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
new update. Today was the first day i got to drive my cutlass legally,well except for the inspection sticker of course. I got the exhaust done today and boy does it sound nice, reminds of a true muscle car exhaust sound. I basically cruised it the whole day, it got lots of attention too. I ended up marking most of the towns streets up with non posi marks too. lol
This thing scares the hell out of me, with all that power this engine makes, those 2.56 gears dont phase it either. I can gun it from a dead stop and lay 50 foot non posi marks easily. Once the inspection sticker is on it, it will be legal to drive and nothing else has to be done...Unless i blow up the rear. I'll have pics and a video up sometime later when i get a chance.

Scott183

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 24, 2010
North Shore, Massachusetts
Nice updates and build thread. Got a lot of good ideas and info reading this thread. Thanks for the details. Best of luck with the rest of the car. I'm truly jealous! :puke:

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
A stock or Eaton posi with maybe some 3.08 gears would be first on my list followed by some drag radials. If drag radials are not available for 14" rims I would be looking for some 15" Olds ralleys or G-body 442 ralleys if you want to keep the factory stockish look. Have you figured out a fuel solution yet? Its should be a fun fast car once you get this stuff handled and sorted out.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
You hit the nail on the head dogshit, this winter's project will be a rear swap, I plan on a 8.5 3.42 posi unit, moser 28 spline axles and a T/A performance girdle. I will have to locate a new driveshaft for the 8.5 though.

I will be getting drag radials for it along with 15" ss2 olds rallyes, i may just upgrade to 15's all around.

My fuel solution is $42 for 5 gallons of the purple stuff (110). The speed shop sells it locally so i just go there for it when i need it. I can go to the airport and get like a barrel of it but in order to pay for it i'll need a credit card and a truck. :lol:

Its a real blast to drive, it'll set you back into the seat and burn the tire right off.
I had a couple heavy friends in it today and i gave it sh*t down the street and they got thrown back into the seat like nothing.

Did i mention the 50 foot one wheel peel rolling burnouts? 8)

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
What I meant was did you find anyway to feed it without having to run stricktly expensive race fuel. Pump gas & race fuel combo or 100 octane pump or pumpgas Xylene mix or E-85 or water/alcohol/methanol injection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor