BUILD THREAD 1986 Oldsmobile 442 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
Got the hood insulation today from Ebay and got it installed. All in all a nice finish.

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 936

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
Well now that car show season is over, it's time to tackle some of the larger projects. I am hoping to have the two big ones - bodywork and paint - done over the winter. But there are a number of other projects too we want to get done. One of the big changes we decided on was not to rebuild the 307 altogether. It is actually running really well, and even though it is high miles it doesn't burn or leak anything. There are no noises or knocks, other than the pesky exhaust leak, but that is an easy fix when we swap to headers anyway. So hopefully beginning this weekend we are going to start working on a few things:

1. Replace gas tank, strap, and sender. The existing fuel tank is leaking and the straps are corroded, not to mention the sender doesn't work. All the parts just arrived yesterday to do this!
2. While the tank is dropped, clean and paint underneath the car.
3. Shocks and springs. It may not need the springs, but they were cheap so why not.
4. Blue LED lighting inside, and in engine area. It should match what I did in the trunk.
--And now the BIG projects ---
5. Engine: Headers, rebuild carb, clean, and detail. Possibly remove all smog stuff. If money left over, new intake and carb.
6. Body work - get it all prepped for pain. My friend is going to help me with this, we may start on it this weekend.
7. Paint!! Once the body work is done I'll get prices. Also add the Hurst spoiler that has been sitting in my garage all summer.

If all goes well, I hope to have everything done by March. It's ambitious, but I think it can be done. After having the car officially a year now, we've accomplished a lot on our own already.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Be aware that their is no aftermarket intake that matches your 307 swirl port heads. Also any carb swap would require a vacuum advance distributor. I know the air pump and lines are a good thing to eliminate even if staying on the computer. Headers should work but you will need the unique swirl port exhaust gaskets and an O2 bung welded and an extension harness. At the very least get true dual 2.25" exhaust, it will add alot over that garbage factory cross over set up. Nice car.

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
olds307 and 403 said:
Be aware that their is no aftermarket intake that matches your 307 swirl port heads. Also any carb swap would require a vacuum advance distributor. I know the air pump and lines are a good thing to eliminate even if staying on the computer. Headers should work but you will need the unique swirl port exhaust gaskets and an O2 bung welded and an extension harness. At the very least get true dual 2.25" exhaust, it will add alot over that garbage factory cross over set up. Nice car.

Thanks for the heads up! I wasn't aware, and I don't think my speed shop guy was either. He was looking at an Edelbrock manifold and a Holly carb. MSD ignition/dist and the Hedmann headers that were supposedly bolt on. I'm glad I only order plugs and wires so far!

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
Well we checked off items 1 and 2 off the winter list, which was replace the fuel tank and paint underneath the car. Many thanks to Dave from EFX Tuning in Toms River for the use of his shop (and for doing most of the work) and Tony from Pep Boys Speed Shop in Toms River for getting the parts and putting it all together. I was really happy to be able to take a good look at the underneath of the car, something I have not been able to do yet except by lying on the ground. I was really happy to see there was no rust and everything looked solid and clean. Also noticed two minor leaks - 1 from the oil drain plug and the other from the trans gasket. Replaced both of those too and leaks are gone. Took some time to clean up and re-pain the underneath of the car and it is looking good under there.

Next up is to get back to the body work and prep the car for paint.

Attachments

• SAM_0641.JPG
    SAM_0641.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 701
  • SAM_0653.JPG
    SAM_0653.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 702
  • SAM_0655.JPG
    SAM_0655.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 708
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Get the Street Demon 625 cfm, if you want it off the computer. It will give you similar mileage to a Qjet and will bolt to a square and spread bore manifold. You may need the unique swirl port exhaust gaskets but headers will bolt on. Your torque converter lock up with need a device of some sort to lock it up. Plus one wire needs grounded on the A/C and for the cruise control without the computer.

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
I've officially grown tired of winter. It snowed again last night, the roads are all ice, and the 442 has been stuck in the garage since November. I've gone out to visit it, but that's about all. So needing something to look forward to, I made arrangements to finally get all the body work done and have the car painted the right way. The original idea was to have one of my friends help me finish the body work, but he got hurt bad on the job and is out of commission for a long time. He broke his back and let in a fall, but our group is going to try to get him to the shows here as much as possible - we have access to vans and stuff so we won't leave him behind.

My wife and I managed to save a little more money, and we sold a lot of stuff online we don't use, so we have enough to get the entire car done professionally. The prices didn't change from last fall, ranging from the Maaco $1100 to the $5500+.. Some shops quoted me $3,500 for the paint job + T&M for body work. The local shop that has done all my cars and our clubs cars is going to get it beginning of March. We are looking at $5k (ouch)! But it will be done right, it will look like brand new, and I'll never need to do it again (and it includes mounting the Hurst spoiler).

So we finally have something to look forward too when the snow finally goes away. I found the correct shift boot on Ebay after searching nearly a year and ordered it. There is actually a second one up there now too. Why are these tiny pieces of plastic so expensive and hard to find?

Once the car gets back from paint, I'll wire up the lights under the hood and the interior, do the pin striping myself, and be ready for show season. I can't wait!!

Attachments

• $(KGrHqRHJE8FIHknK8gSBSDDyR8t+Q~~60_57.jpg
    $(KGrHqRHJE8FIHknK8gSBSDDyR8t+Q~~60_57.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 867

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
You guys did a nice job. Looking forward to seeing it when you get it back.
T

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
Just dropped the 442 off for paint. I went with the Maaco my mechanic recommended. Got the top of the line paint job plus all the bodywork for around $3700. Includes mounting the Hurst spoiler as well, sanding, primer, paint, clearcoat, and buffing. It will take about 2 weeks. Very excited!!

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
Stopped by the body shop today and checked on the 442 and I have to say they are doing a really nice job. The body work is almost all done, just a little more sanding then priming and it's off to paint. If this massive snowstorm misses us I should have the car back by the weekend, but as it looks like we are going to get slammed with snow it may be a bit longer. No worries.

Attachments

• 2014-03-01 08.29.07.jpg
    2014-03-01 08.29.07.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 813
  • 2014-03-01 08.29.19.jpg
    2014-03-01 08.29.19.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 828
  • 2014-03-01 08.29.29.jpg
    2014-03-01 08.29.29.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 786
  • 2014-03-01 08.29.40.jpg
    2014-03-01 08.29.40.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 775
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor