Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
YGspider said:
axisg said:
:) the parts car is for all the other parts you will need for the swap ( manifolds, intercooler, harness, bolts, brackets, whatever ect.. )

LoL you dont know me as soon as I get a parts car GN id want to restore it and I would too. :lol: I'll see what I come across the only reason I dont want a parts car is thats another 3-5 grand ontop of the 4500 into the engine.

That $3-$5g for the parts car is leaps and bounds cheaper than buying all the missing parts one at a time. This swap used to economical because you could buy a wrecked GN with a good driveline for >$5 grand about 10 years ago. Hell only 5 years ago my friend bought a rotted t-type with low kms for $2500.00. Just need to be the right place, with the cash in hand and a trailer to scoop it.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
I really like your car, and your enthusiasm too. I was like you once and put all of my money into my cars. Take a little advice from a slightly older guy: just because you have a lot of money to spend on your project doesn't mean you should throw 100% of your money at it - or even 85% or 65%. That car was an inexplicable, rare, once in a lifetime find. Of course you should do something with it - but you are young! There are so many turns in life that lead to the unexpected. Do something w/ your car, but make a savings account too. People are waiting on your wallet like vultures - so make sure not to take the first price they say and know when to walk away if the price is too high no matter how good condition the part looks. Also, consider a cheaper engine option. I love the GN turbos and everything about the history of those cars - but I'm not paying hundreds of dollars for exhaust parts wtf? Only a retired millionaire should spend his money in the manner you are proposing. Get hurt at work a few years from now and you will probably have to sell this car. Cross an intersection while a drunk driver runs a red light and you could lose everything - and we all know the type of mods we do to our g-bodys are not covered by insurance. Save your money in case of a disaster like that - God forbid. You don't ever want to find yourself w/ a car you spent $10 - 15,000 on but can only sell for 5 at best. Unless you are in talks with a major record label about landing a rap deal, you should definitely not spend more than half your money on your car. If it were going to sit in the garage all the time, maybe, but I know you love your car bc I have one too. I started a 2nd project to my cutlass that I liked better, a 79 monte. I never saw it coming when the car was stolen from the shop by my ex. $3,500 down the drain just because I never signed the title over. Couldn't do anything about it afterward. It is just some advice to think about. We all want to be Chip Foose or Boyd Coddington, but at the end of the day if there isnt a million $ sitting in the bank we've got to zoom out from our car once in a while & take a look around before we keep blowing money.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
PS - the 79 was going to be a 'parts car' for me too. I originally thought the car was too far gone to be saved and just wanted the engine/trans. Yeah right, 2 weeks later I was taking down the paint and ordering MSD ignition parts :rofl:

84cutlassjuggalo

G-Body Guru
Jun 25, 2010
Morell PEI Canada
pencero said:
I really like your car, and your enthusiasm too. I was like you once and put all of my money into my cars. Take a little advice from a slightly older guy: just because you have a lot of money to spend on your project doesn't mean you should throw 100% of your money at it - or even 85% or 65%. That car was an inexplicable, rare, once in a lifetime find. Of course you should do something with it - but you are young! There are so many turns in life that lead to the unexpected. Do something w/ your car, but make a savings account too. People are waiting on your wallet like vultures - so make sure not to take the first price they say and know when to walk away if the price is too high no matter how good condition the part looks. Also, consider a cheaper engine option. I love the GN turbos and everything about the history of those cars - but I'm not paying hundreds of dollars for exhaust parts wtf? Only a retired millionaire should spend his money in the manner you are proposing. Get hurt at work a few years from now and you will probably have to sell this car. Cross an intersection while a drunk driver runs a red light and you could lose everything - and we all know the type of mods we do to our g-bodys are not covered by insurance. Save your money in case of a disaster like that - God forbid. You don't ever want to find yourself w/ a car you spent $10 - 15,000 on but can only sell for 5 at best. Unless you are in talks with a major record label about landing a rap deal, you should definitely not spend more than half your money on your car. If it were going to sit in the garage all the time, maybe, but I know you love your car bc I have one too. I started a 2nd project to my cutlass that I liked better, a 79 monte. I never saw it coming when the car was stolen from the shop by my ex. $3,500 down the drain just because I never signed the title over. Couldn't do anything about it afterward. It is just some advice to think about. We all want to be Chip Foose or Boyd Coddington, but at the end of the day if there isnt a million $ sitting in the bank we've got to zoom out from our car once in a while & take a look around before we keep blowing money.

That's some good advice. I used to be like that and spent all my money on my cars. I made the mistake of buying too many and now I have 4 projects that are slowly getting together but i'll never be able to get 75% of just the parts I put in. not including the price of the rig back.

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
Thanks for the input. I know what you mean, I'm not going to drop all my money on parts. I thing I'm just gunna scrap the GN idea and just put a 290HP Goodwrench motor and be done with it. All i want is a littel passing lane power and a nice sounding cruiser. Hopefully a 4 speed 200r4 aswell.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Lorenzo said:
Hey man dont know if your still looking for the 3.8 Turbo but i came across this on kijiji http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z457846054 Has 61000kms on it and comes with a 200r4 transmission. Doesnt seem like too bad of a deal.

I have been looking at this ad for almost a month now trying to convince myself to go for a drive. Looks like a great deal for someone looking to get into a v8 swap.

Motor, Trans, 8.5 rear all for $ 1500.00. Sounds too good to be true but its worth a look.
http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z451474017

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
axisg said:
Lorenzo said:
Hey man dont know if your still looking for the 3.8 Turbo but i came across this on kijiji http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z457846054 Has 61000kms on it and comes with a 200r4 transmission. Doesnt seem like too bad of a deal.

I have been looking at this ad for almost a month now trying to convince myself to go for a drive. Looks like a great deal for someone looking to get into a v8 swap.

Motor, Trans, 8.5 rear all for $ 1500.00. Sounds too good to be true but its worth a look.

yeh looks almost too good to be true on both the ads

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
YGspider said:
axisg said:
Lorenzo said:

yeh looks almost too good to be true on both the ads

Oh just saw your post about wanting to do the 350 swap. Guess you dont want do to the 3.8 anymore then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor