1987 Cutlass Supreme :Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
Well I got good news from my Cutlass.

I have found a whole Grand national Drive train and engine to drop in next Winter. Now what I want to know is who has done the swap and what can I use from the NA 3.8 thats already in there. Will I need completely new exhaust. Like I want a list of every part so I can starta budget and let my collection begin.

I know the GN didnt have the same fan setup but the 84-85 did The engine I'm getting is a 87 3.8 intercooled.

While I'm doing all the dirty work in the engine I want to redo the suppension as well as swapbars all around. I want this thing to hook up.

With the purchace of the engine and drive train its 4500$

How much on top of that will I need to spend in extra parts?

Thanks Justin

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
whats included in the engine and drivetrain for the $ 4500 ?

-From the Cat-back the exhaust should be the same so you can re-use yours for now.

- you need to beef up the trans because it wont like the new power for long
- you'll likely need to beef up the rear end
-need GN / Ttype exhaust manifolds, turbo, ect...

-the Turbo 3.8 is Fuel Injected so you will need an engine management system ( FAST EFI ) or the complete OBD1 PC & harness from a GN/Regal T
- Need Electric Fuel Pump and return fuel line

Any of the handling / braking mods you make to the car now will be helpful ( and safer ) when taming the new power.

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
axisg said:
whats included in the engine and drivetrain for the $ 4500 ?

-From the Cat-back the exhaust should be the same so you can re-use yours for now.

- you need to beef up the trans because it wont like the new power for long
- you'll likely need to beef up the rear end
-need GN / Ttype exhaust manifolds, turbo, ect...

-the Turbo 3.8 is Fuel Injected so you will need an engine management system ( FAST EFI ) or the complete OBD1 PC & harness from a GN/Regal T
- Need Electric Fuel Pump and return fuel line

Any of the handling / braking mods you make to the car now will be helpful ( and safer ) when taming the new power.

For 4500 I get the 200r4 Rebuilt and a rebuilt 8.5 Posi from a GN with as well as a built motor. I know the GN has dual exhaust is it fine to run the single? and also The fan upfront will need to be changed to a Electric fan. And as far as the Harness how much would something like that run you.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
YGspider said:

Thanks Justin
:shock: You make great money for being young! I want your job :lol:

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
WWW.turbobuick.com has a section dedicated to people doing GN drivetrain swaps should be invaluable to you. You can see a good 87 GN motor pic in my album just click the little camera button.

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
-83MONTESS- said:
YGspider said:

Thanks Justin
:shock: You make great money for being young! I want your job :lol:

Alot of money is in the Trades now adays a real shortage of Skilled trades men.. at least here in Canada. Everyone wants to be a doctor or social worker haha.

I'm just doing a millwright apprentiship.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
YGspider said:
[For 4500 I get the 200r4 Rebuilt and a rebuilt 8.5 Posi from a GN with as well as a built motor. I know the GN has dual exhaust is it fine to run the single? and also The fan upfront will need to be changed to a Electric fan. And as far as the Harness how much would something like that run you.

GN runs a cat-back exhaust that splits to 2 pipes ( same as 442 - Monte SS ). So you can use yours or get a cat-back system for $400 or so

Electric Fan is NBD ( no big deal )
IIRC the harness is $500-$600 depending on where you get one.
Need the Computer as well and that will get you to Stock OBD1 Tuning or go Fast EFI

Its going to get expensive. Anyone who has GN parts seem to think they are worth their weight in gold.

Do you get the exhaust manifolds, turbo, piping, intercooler ? Even a beat GN T-Type parts car sells for $5k which might be cheaper than trying to source all the bits and parts.

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
The thing about a parts car is all the parts are not rebuilt like they are from the guy that has the Drivetrain.

My budget for the swap will be endless but at the sametime I dont need it all at once. Also to get the GN motor to get up and go what is the best bang for the buck upgrade to the motor?

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
:) the parts car is for all the other parts you will need for the swap ( manifolds, intercooler, harness, bolts, brackets, whatever ect.. )

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
axisg said:
:) the parts car is for all the other parts you will need for the swap ( manifolds, intercooler, harness, bolts, brackets, whatever ect.. )

LoL you dont know me as soon as I get a parts car GN id want to restore it and I would too. :lol: I'll see what I come across the only reason I dont want a parts car is thats another 3-5 grand ontop of the 4500 into the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor