1987 El Camino Motor Mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

commandercool86

Apprentice
Apr 2, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Dropping my 1971 Chevy 350 block back into the 87 Elco after rebuilding it. I'm having difficulty getting the thru bolts to line up on the new motor mount holes. Motor mount part number A2292 from O'Reilly's. I'm using the clam shell brackets that came with the block, which was using before I rebuilt this engine.

When lowing the motor in, I can get the passenger side thru bolt in no problem. It seems the driver side rubber mount hole needs to come up about 3/4 inch. I'm wondering if GM made different clamshell mounting brackets for G-Bodys, or if I have the wrong motor mounts? Most of what I've read say they're all universal. Also the bolt spacing doesn't allow the rubber mounts to be installed upside down either, so I'm certain that isn't the issue.

Has anyone else ran into this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Are you sure you are using the right holes in the crossmember? One bolt hole for the motor mount should hang off the front of the crossmember. It should look like this for SBC....
downloadfile-7.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Longroof79
There are several different clamshells out there. I thought I had truck clamshells so I ordered a pair of these....
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oer-332648
They turned out to be identical to what I already had so I gave them to another member on here. I used those clamshells with Anchor stock replacement mounts as shown in the picture above and my engine fell right on the mounts and the bolts lined up without any trouble. Another member, pagrunt had the same issue you are having. I think he changed his motor mounts to solve his problem. Hopefully he will chime in. I hope this helps.

Reactions: Longroof79
There are several different clamshells out there. I thought I had truck clamshells so I ordered a pair of these....
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oer-332648
They turned out to be identical to what I already had so I gave them to another member on here. I used those clamshells with Anchor stock replacement mounts as shown in the picture above and my engine fell right on the mounts and the bolts lined up without any trouble. Another member, pagrunt had the same issue you are having. I think he changed his motor mounts to solve his problem. Hopefully he will chime in. I hope this helps.

Thanks Tex. I'll look into those clamshells. This is one of those stupid easy things (or should be at least) and it's turning into a whole ordeal. :blam:

Here is an example of the differences

The one on the left will work

The right one will give you the problem you are having

This may help too...

Reactions: commandercool86
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor