BUILD THREAD 1987 Monte Carlo from Iceland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sævar Örn Eiríksson

Greasemonkey
May 5, 2018
ICELAND
If you could get hold of those guys who race buggies up sand dunes and across lakes in Iceland, I wouldn't be surprised if they had spare dipsticks lying around from old engine builds....

you re right. but not today they all threw out the ironblocks 10 years ago and use LS engines with turbo and nitrous today

Sævar Örn Eiríksson

Greasemonkey
May 5, 2018
ICELAND
Some progress today
1.jpg

Being overly careful, and very generous with the seam sealer... hehe
2.jpg

The seam sealer they sell at my local auto parts store, it's pretty good, and cheaper than the Amazon one too!
3.jpg

Same with the underside, very generous with the seam sealer, paint and rust preventative material will hide the seams perfectly eventually
4.jpg

LIFTOFF!! And the rockers are supporting the weight of the entire body aswell as the jig! Impressive
5.jpg

Common fault, worn out body mount holes in the frame, I bought some repair pieces off mikes montes I think, but I don't like them because they're galvanized and suck to weld... I got these mild steel washers at my local hardware store and they fit perfect and will weld good
6.jpg

As you can see, only the two center body mounts and the front clip body mounts were holding the body on this car, before the rebuild
7.jpg

Same on this side...
8.jpg

Man I'm so happy to have this thing off the jig... And a long awaited floor sweeping is on order !

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users

Sævar Örn Eiríksson

Greasemonkey
May 5, 2018
ICELAND
Quick progress today
1.jpg

According to this, it's going to take me awhile to realize I'm not about welding sheet metal anymore...! Back to setting 6 with my machine! hehe
2.jpg

All the donuts on the frame are now accepatble
3.jpg

As I had feared, some adjustment was necessary for the frame rear sections, as I had no refernce point in the body(they were all rusted away) so I just eyeballed it... turns out the left one was an inch to short... quickly fixed though
4.jpg

Primer on
5.jpg

rust inhibiting paint on, looks good
6.jpg

Amazing what a slap of paint can do to old brown metal :)

7.jpg

Summit body mount bushes
8.jpg

Body on... not bolted though
9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

This one gets a vacation now... thank god, but it was an essential part to get this project done !

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor