BUILD THREAD 1987 Olds 442 Project Build

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::cool: Just the down and dirty on this one.....so to speak.

Hutch
He did mention you were a pro at lubing the shaft and hammering that "**** ring" home.

Ok, before it derails too much, back to 442 restoration!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
  • Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Yard work and other things have been keeping from the car these past few weeks. I decided to take a look at the firewall and asses how much work was ahead of me. Looking at the window ledge where the wiper arms bolt on I noticed how well the surface looked below all the grime. I grabbed some Purple Power cleaner and wiped the 30 plus years of dust and road grime off the ledge. Very pleased with what I found.
IMG_4679.JPG

IMG_4680.JPG

I buffed it with some wax and it looks really good. I was figuring I would have to paint this along with the rest. I'm leaving it be. The spots where the paint came up from the arms bolted down (and you can see primer) will disappear once it's all bolted back together.

Hutch

Reactions: 8 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Flashback Friday!!

I was looking through my picture files and ran across the original pics I downloaded from e-bay when the 442 was for sale. I haven't looked at her in "stock" form in a while.

I say "stock" because it had a mediocre respray and some numb-skull put the "442" front bumper decal on the wrong side of the car! Really! (I bought it anyway :roll: )
442 FRONT.jpg

442 FRONT SIDE.jpg

442 BACK SIDE RIGHT.jpg

442 BACK.jpg

442 BACK SIDE LEFT.jpg

442 BUCKETS.jpg

442 ENGINE.jpg

442 TRUNK-1.jpg

I hopped a train west to Ohio, test drove the girl and looked it over as best I could, dropped the $$$ and drove her straight back to Maryland without a single issue. Drove it around a little for a week and then blew her apart without a second thought.
Front end 2.JPG

No motor 2.JPG

442 8 1.jpg

That poor girl has been through a lot. So much for my walk down memory lane.

We now return you to the 442 Project Build already in progress.

Hutch

Reactions: 7 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Ahh, the memories. I am one never worried too much about pictures unless I'm restoring a car. Even family pictures. I suck real bad at it. Thus, I have no pictures of my new G-body purchases from the various dealers I did buy from. I've purchased an 85 442, and 86 Monte SS and an 87 442. Not a single baby picture. Looking back, now I wish I did.

My grandmother, and then my mom, took pictures of everything it seems. So when my father passed, my brothers and I went through THOUSANDS of pictures and picture albums sorting the crap and deciding who got what pics. I'm not much of a historian of my life.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I did the same thing when my dad passed. Tons of photo albums. All of my pics are digital. My wife keeps track of family pics (God bless her) and they're all digital too. I don't think we own a photo album any more.

Ahh the digital age. One massive solar flare or EMP from ruin :unsure:

Hutch

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
I did the same thing when my dad passed. Tons of photo albums. All of my pics are digital. My wife keeps track of family pics (God bless her) and they're all digital too. I don't think we own a photo album any more.

Hutch

“Ahh the digital age. One massive solar flare or EMP from ruin”

At least our Gbodies will still run once it hits. Lol. Well most of ours. Sorry Ls computer guys.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
“Ahh the digital age. One massive solar flare or EMP from ruin”

At least our Gbodies will still run once it hits. Lol. Well most of ours. Sorry Ls computer guys.

Actually I don't think so. It would also burn out any primitive ecm in our cars ,and while they can run without it you can't get it to run without an ignition system and since the HEI module would also be fried unless you converted to points your dead in the water.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor