BUILD THREAD 1987 Olds 442 Project Build

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I think the A/C Box will go on first. Before I do I take the time to clean the duct work (since the dash is out).

There are (4) 7mm screws that hold it in by the window defrost ducts.
IMG_4732.JPG

IMG_4733.JPG

Once it's out I can take the two duct attachments on each side loose to help get to those hard to reach spots. I use some ArmorAll Cleaning Wipes to get the caked on dirt out.
IMG_4739.JPG

All clean and ready for reassemble.
IMG_4736.JPG

The main body is plastic welded together (like rivets, but melted plastic), and the flex hose is stapled to the plastic duct. I didn't feel like tearing that all apart, so it's as clean as I could get it.

Here it is all back together (minus a couple of screws that still need to go in).
IMG_4735.JPG

The foam insulation was in great condition, so I left it alone.

It took six wipes to get the pieces clean. This was all inside and outside the duct work. It took some pressure wiping to get the crud off. I thought I could just push a swiffer through the ducts and be done. When the swiffer came out clean, but I could clearly see a layer of dirt on everything, i knew it needed to come out and get a deep cleaning. That's 33 years of built up grime!
IMG_4738.JPG

With the duct work out, it should be easy to put the A/C Box in place.

Hutch

Reactions: 12 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Installed the A/C Box finally.

Getting the gasket from the kit installed.
IMG_4743.JPG

The gasket has to fit over these two different style raised stops. I assume this keeps the installer from crushing the gasket too far. It also keeps the gasket in place during installation.
IMG_4741.JPG

IMG_4742.JPG

Ready to go in
IMG_4745.JPG

Installed!!
IMG_4746.JPG

IMG_4747.JPG

IMG_4749.JPG

All for now.

Hutch

Reactions: 13 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Just wondering, now that you "manscaped" the firewall... there's the engine ground strap that would normally go above the HEI setback area in the firewall, and the heater core ground strap (shown hanging in the pic). Where you going to put those now? Same area? Or something more out of sight? No big deal, it's just curiosity now that you smoothed some things out.

Reactions: 2 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Just wondering, now that you "manscaped" the firewall... there's the engine ground strap that would normally go above the HEI setback area in the firewall, and the heater core ground strap (shown hanging in the pic). Where you going to put those now? Same area? Or something more out of sight?

Out of sight down on the trans tunnel, or at least below the height of the intake. Unseen is the goal.

Hutch

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I bolted the duct work inside back up to the box and installed the vacuum lines to their servo's for a test.
IMG_4752.JPG

I hooked up my A/C vacuum pump to the Violet vacuum line in the engine compartment. That's the main vacuum supply for the system.
IMG_4753.JPG

Since my pump can pull nearly 30 in.-Hg, I put a vacuum cap in the three way with a hole in it. This gave me a controlled leak that brought the line vac down to about 15-18 in.-Hg right in the low to mid range of good engine vacuum. My intended cam may lower my engine vac a little, so I wanted to simulate that vacuum range.
IMG_4754.JPG

I checked the Violet line inside and it read 17 ish. I then hooked up my A/C Control Head and ran it through all the modes. Worked like a charm (all doors functioning). I even hooked my vac gauge to the Grey line that goes to the Heater Cut Off Valve. It pulled vac on Max A/C mode. My control head was the last piece I needed to check for function. I'm a happy camper!

Hutch

Reactions: 13 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
What? No HVAC decal? :) It ain't done til the decals are on.

Don't think I've forgotten these wise words. There will be a decal install to come ;)

Hutch

Reactions: 4 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
So with the firewall painted and the A/C Box installed, I was going to turn to the Brakes.

The problem is, I can't do the brakes until I get tires on the 18" Billet SSIII's. The 15" rollers that are on now won't accommodate the C5 front brakes.

I can't lay out money for tires until I know for sure how much all the Machine Work will cost for the 455.

In the meantime I've been cleaning and painting small parts and doing other small projects to fill the time.

Here's the Wiper Motor clean up
IMG_4756.JPG

IMG_4757.JPG

Just your typical 30 years of grime buildup.

I intended to paint the plastic cover, but after cleaning it with a wipe or two, I decided to just hit it with some ArmorAll.
IMG_4760.JPG

I wire wheeled the bolts to give them a fresh coat of paint.

The motor was cleaned and covered with a few coats of Eastwood Cast Aluminum and the bolts got Underhood Black.
IMG_4762.JPG

All back together and ready to wait for install
IMG_4763.JPG

IMG_4764.JPG

Hutch

Reactions: 9 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I think I would drop the money on tires, so you can keep moving with the suspension and brakes. You could always slap something in to run it while the engine is being built.

Looking awesome, though! (y)(y)

Reactions: 3 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I think I would drop the money on tires, so you can keep moving with the suspension and brakes. You could always slap something in to run it while the engine is being built.

The block, crank, rods, pistons, heads are at the machine shop. When it does get done I can't be short on that bill ;) I may have to nail him down to a closer price to see where my budget falls.

It would be nice to keep things in forward progress.

Hutch

Reactions: 6 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Sooooo....after talking with my machine shop guy, I (he) figured out what to do. He suggested putting some cheap used tires on the wheels so it could roll around AND I could get cracking on the brakes.

You ever hear someone say something and wonder why YOU didn't think of it?
IMG_4771.JPG

2 hours later 😁

Hutch

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor