BUILD THREAD 1987 Olds 442 Project Build

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Hutch, I have the Eastwood 135, and the Lincoln weld-pak, I love the Eastwood. I use it more. The main thing for me is the infinitely adjustable voltage. The Lincoln only has detents, a thru e, so there is no fine tuning.
Also, Pottstown PA is right near, and their warranty is second to none. I broke the big spool adapter and the sent one out no questions asked.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Looking good Hutch! And it is also inspiring. I cannot have you completely rebuild and entire car from the ground up before I just get mine modified. Though, the way I've been going, it is almost seeming like a complete rebuild with some of my surprises and challenges I've run into. Still, I don't have to do ANY sheet metal work other than beefing up the frame in a few spots so, Lupus be damned, I needs to get busy!

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Looking good Hutch! And it is also inspiring. I cannot have you completely rebuild and entire car from the ground up before I just get mine modified. Though, the way I've been going, it is almost seeming like a complete rebuild with some of my surprises and challenges I've run into. Still, I don't have to do ANY sheet metal work other than beefing up the frame in a few spots so, Lupus be damned, I needs to get busy!

Haha thanks. I've been enjoying your build too. The wheels are just beautiful by the way. Oh, and I've been working on mine a loooong time. You have nothing to worry about brother.

Hutch

Reactions: 2 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Got all the extras I needed for my new welder to include an 80 cf 75/25 bottle. Been burning the hell out of some scrap metal. Still practicing before turning the gun on the 442. Wish me luck on my self training.

Hutch

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I think we are using 0.023" ER70S6 wire in the same machine. I usually set the machine (for sheet metal) to II on amperage and about 32-33 on wire speed and it seems pretty happy.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Agreed on the heat/wire speed. I've ben playing around with setting the heat low/high and wire speed slow/fast to get my ear tuned to what sounds wrong vs that good "frying bacon" sound we all want. Watching a LOT of how to videos on Youtube. Just takes practice at this point. (I need a lot of that)

Hutch

• Agree

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
You and me both. Just found out my Spectre dual CAI box doesn't begin to sit down on a QJ. I started cutting metal on making my own when I ran across Spectre. I will probably talk to them first to see if they have another suggestion but my drop bottom 2"x14" round one I've been running since I put the big block in proves I don't have a lot of headroom.

Good luck Hutch!

Reactions: 1 user

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I've been practicing on some scrap 22ga sheet metal. I'm right in the middle of the chart. 20ga = 2/40 and 24ga = 1/30. If I use setting 1 it seems like it's not hot enough and the penetration isn't good. I set it to 2 and one weld is good and then the next I blow through. Frustrating to say the least.

Hutch

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I've been practicing on some scrap 22ga sheet metal. I'm right in the middle of the chart. 20ga = 2/40 and 24ga = 1/30. If I use setting 1 it seems like it's not hot enough and the penetration isn't good. I set it to 2 and one weld is good and then the next I blow through. Frustrating to say the least.

Hutch
40 is too much wire speed, which will cause it to blow through. You need setting "II" for sheet metal repair but turn the wire speed down to 32-33. I thought the chart showed "II"/30 for ER70S6 with 75/25 on 20 gauge sheet metal.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor