BUILD THREAD 1987 Olds 442 Project Build

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I still have joint custody for my engine, so I did go by for a visitation ;)

20210721_122150.jpg
20210721_122139.jpg
20210721_122145.jpg
20210721_123053.jpg

Hutch

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Did you atleast bring it something to show you still love it? In joint custody situations those who don't show the love won't get the love in return. ;)
You didn't see the gasket and pushrod bouquet he sent over?

Just kidding. He just brought his wallet. That's all the love candy that engine needs.

Reactions: 1 user

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
In other news:

I ordered a Cold Case radiator (that's on backorder for another month 🤬)
Cold Case Radiator.jpg

With its own fan shroud, it looks like the factory fan shroud isn't needed and may not even fit. But if I don't use it, where do I put my super cool custom emissions sticker?? 🤔

This is what I'm going to try and make. Something that resembles this:
Shroud Idea.jpg

A 1967 Olds Toronado radiator top plate. You know, back when they weren't too concerned about your fingers or toes.

I'm going to try and make it bolt on in the factory spot the old shroud bolted too. The top plate is 16ga, which the hardware store actually has metal sheet for. Here's my supplies:
IMG_4962.JPG

Wish me luck 😁

Hutch

Reactions: 5 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
In other news:

I ordered a Cold Case radiator (that's on backorder for another month 🤬)
View attachment 181612
With its own fan shroud, it looks like the factory fan shroud isn't needed and may not even fit. But if I don't use it, where do I put my super cool custom emissions sticker?? 🤔

This is what I'm going to try and make. Something that resembles this:
View attachment 181615

A 1967 Olds Toronado radiator top plate. You know, back when they weren't too concerned about your fingers or toes.

I'm going to try and make it bolt on in the factory spot the old shroud bolted too. The top plate is 16ga, which the hardware store actually has metal sheet for. Here's my supplies:
View attachment 181623

Wish me luck 😁

Hutch
A tip for the tank pads, I used a set of Prothane that I milled to have my Cold Case sit like a stock unit so my shroud would fit. Since you ordered one with fans you won't have to trim the ribs that sits near the core. The overflow nipple is a size smaller than the stock size too.

Reactions: 2 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
A tip for the tank pads, I used a set of Prothane that I milled to have my Cold Case sit like a stock unit so my shroud would fit. Since you ordered one with fans you won't have to trim the ribs that sits near the core. The overflow nipple is a size smaller than the stock size too.
Thanks! I'll be sure to look at that if they ever send it to me :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Here's what I came up with for my faux shroud:

Used the angle as my start. I cut the ends to get it to sit more flush with the top plate.
IMG_4964.JPG

IMG_4965.JPG

Cut a piece of sheet wide enough to comfortably fit my emissions sticker (the whole reason I'm doing this) and then used what I had (stool) to bend the proper curve.
IMG_4963.JPG

Made a jig by stacking wood at the height that I want the shroud to stick up. Cut a template in heavy paper and cut it out in sheet metal.
IMG_4966.JPG

IMG_4967.JPG

Put a little curve in it using the same stool and began to grind it to fit snug.
IMG_4968.JPG

IMG_4969.JPG

Now burn it in.
IMG_4970.JPG

I mark the ends with a straight edge to bend them back up to meet the straight bar.
IMG_4972.JPG

More welding to do, but that's the basic shape. I drew a straight line from the curve to the end of the visible straight bar, but it needs a more gentle curve out to the end. Too late for any more tonight, but I'm happy with the rough shape of it.

Might not be until next weekend, but more to come as I metal finish and primer.

Hutch

Reactions: 10 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I like this build (among several others here). There's some parts of you that want to keep the original look, at least to some degree, and then there's the things that need to change to make the part(s) stronger, better, etc., to be able to handle the extra HP/TQ and/or personal tastes. You've incorporated the blending well. Not that you need my approval, but Kudos anyway. Fabricating a fan shroud top to make it kinda look stock but fit the dual fan setup for function and looks is pretty neat. (y)

Just think, all this work just so you can use a decal you like. :) Just a tip, I believe GN's put their emission decals on top of the HVAC housing.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I like this build (among several others here). There's some parts of you that want to keep the original look, at least to some degree, and then there's the things that need to change to make the part(s) stronger, better, etc., to be able to handle the extra HP/TQ and/or personal tastes. You've incorporated the blending well. Not that you need my approval, but Kudos anyway. Fabricating a fan shroud top to make it kinda look stock but fit the dual fan setup for function and looks is pretty neat. (y)

Just think, all this work just so you can use a decal you like. :) Just a tip, I believe GN's put their emission decals on top of the HVAC housing.
Thank you!! I always try to customize in a way that could fool a passer by as being stock. And true, the only approval I need is my own, but having you give the nod means quite a bit.

Hutch

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor