BUILD THREAD 1987 Olds 442 Project Build

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
A tip for the tank pads, I used a set of Prothane that I milled to have my Cold Case sit like a stock unit so my shroud would fit. Since you ordered one with fans you won't have to trim the ribs that sits near the core. The overflow nipple is a size smaller than the stock size too.
WOW! I just went through your thread on putting the radiator in. I'm glad you went through and documented the issues so we can all learn from it.

"When one person struggles to cut the path, the rest can hike in peace"

Hutch

Reactions: 5 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
WOW! I just went through your thread on putting the radiator in. I'm glad you went through and documented the issues so we can all learn from it.

"When one person struggles to cut the path, the rest can hike in peace"

Hutch
Someone has to be a guinea pig on the direct fit parts & Cold Case picked me for this one. Nice thing here on GBF is we all share the learning experiance so we all can learn the best way of installing these parts.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I will start this by saying I'm as guilty as anyone concerning this:

It seems that the only feedback people give is when things go wrong. We always hear when the part arrived broken or it didn't fit as promised, but never a word when everything went well. I get parts delivered or purchased all the time during this whole build. The only ones I highlight are the ones that failed to meet expectation in some way.

Here's a good story for ya!

If you recall, I'm having a fitment issue with my Digi-Tails light boards fitting in my 81-83 tail light housings. I contacted Digi-Tails with my issue. Matt (the rep I've been dealing with) asked specific questions about my issue and sent it on to their tech dept.
Here's what I got back from him yesterday in an e-mail (I asked if I could post this)

OK he has a couple of options for you. You will be safe to cut it down as needed. It will not ruin them. If you try and something happens we will replace them anyway. You can send them back to us to cut them down for you or just wait for the redesigned panels to come in and we will send you a replacement set. We are very sorry about this. We have sold a lot of these but this is the first we have seen this problem.

This is what I consider great customer service!! "You can cut them, they fail we'll replace, We'll cut them for you, or we'll just send the redesign when they're ready".

I could not ask for better than that, and it was actually more than I expected.

In a world where the art of customer service seems to be circling the bowl, the companies that get it right need a little praise their way.

Great work Digi-Tails!!

Hutch

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 12 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The good thing about the stock tail light lamps....

I just have to whip out a box of GM p/n 9428902 for my "Analog-Tails" (bulbs still available from GM at $1.78 list price each) and change out any blown bulbs. For those that go aftermarket, they'd be known as 1157 bulbs. :)

CH7mWsr_fousmSN5gTvIqinSG5RRg7mCcfVZGCgwOk7VQOChpyIa6qfeSdhgrLTBRCOyEs1Xjb7u9nEJuKLh2tIerM5DVK_QZw8HiD-2dzKGDbYMNusHMuC2

But hey, that's pretty cool about Digi-Tails making good on whatever you need to do to get the tail lamps done right, they'll back you up. PERSONALLY speaking, since 1981-83 lamps aren't easy to get hold of, I'd notch them myself and if then they don't work, send the cut panels back (so they could get ACTUAL cutout size to revamp their 81-83 version lamps) and send you a newly designed set. Then send them photos of them working in your housings so then they can use that for promoting their product for those others with 81-83 lamps who come down the trail after you blazed it.

Reactions: 6 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

It seems that the only feedback people give is when things go wrong. We always hear when the part arrived broken or it didn't fit as promised, but never a word when everything went well. I get parts delivered or purchased all the time during this whole build. The only ones I highlight are the ones that failed to meet expectation in some way.

If you recall, I'm having a fitment issue with my Digi-Tails light boards fitting in my 81-83 tail light housings. I contacted Digi-Tails with my issue. Matt (the rep I've been dealing with) asked specific questions about my issue and sent it on to their tech dept.
Here's what I got back from him yesterday in an e-mail (I asked if I could post this)

This is what I consider great customer service!! "You can cut them, they fail we'll replace, We'll cut them for you, or we'll just send the redesign when they're ready".

In a world where the art of customer service seems to be circling the bowl, the companies that get it right need a little praise their way.

Great work Digi-Tails!!

Hutch
That made my day. Thanks Hutch.

Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The good thing about the stock tail light lamps....

I just have to whip out a box of GM p/n 9428902 for my "Analog-Tails" (bulbs still available from GM at $1.78 list price each) and change out any blown bulbs. For those that go aftermarket, they'd be known as 1157 bulbs. :)

CH7mWsr_fousmSN5gTvIqinSG5RRg7mCcfVZGCgwOk7VQOChpyIa6qfeSdhgrLTBRCOyEs1Xjb7u9nEJuKLh2tIerM5DVK_QZw8HiD-2dzKGDbYMNusHMuC2

But hey, that's pretty cool about Digi-Tails making good on whatever you need to do to get the tail lamps done right, they'll back you up. PERSONALLY speaking, since 1981-83 lamps aren't easy to get hold of, I'd notch them myself and if then they don't work, send the cut panels back (so they could get ACTUAL cutout size to revamp their 81-83 version lamps) and send you a newly designed set. Then send them photos of them working in your housings so then they can use that for promoting their product for those others with 81-83 lamps who come down the trail after you blazed it.
AC Delco 1157's! Outstanding. Mike, you are a machine!

Reactions: 1 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA

Great work Digi-Tails!!

Hutch
Very glad to her they stepped up and didn't go with the normal "COVID" answer everyone is seeming to giving these days. My only knock to digitails was my own fault, I saw other setups running the turn signals going to the side so that is what I had been expecting. But it clearly showed on their site for some reason the Monte setup goes up and down for the turn signal. While I think it would look 1,000x better going to the side it is the way they designed them and my own fault. Other wise I love my Digi-Tails

Reactions: 3 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Finally got the time to clearance and install the Digi-Tails Light Boards. I felt better knowing no matter what happened Digi-Tails would be there.

I did my first clearance cut. I had to make sure I didn't cut into the circuit path as I understood it.
File Fit 1.jpg
File Fit 2.jpg

After this first cut, I test fitted the board. No go. Gotta cut some more.

I had to file the one side of the small connector pins and LED housing on both sides clean off. At this point I was sure those two LED's were DOA, and I was hoping it didn't cause a whole row to not work or maybe the whole board.
File Fit 3.jpg

To my surprise, they all worked. Even the two I filed in to.
File Fit 4.jpg

Now to finish the install. It was still tight and required some persuasion to get in, but they fit.
File Fit 5.jpg

The payoff
File Fit 7.jpg

I can't thank the Digi-Tails team enough for being willing to do whatever I needed to get this done. What a great company!

Hutch

Reactions: 12 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor