1987 Olds Pro-touring project build - Now with paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

shorty74

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 28, 2009
Re: 1987 Olds Pro-touring project build *LONG*

I think im in love....... With your car!!!! :D

seriously that is the sickest cutlass i have ever seen. Good job and keep us updated

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

Thanks guys.

Piddled around today doing a little powder coating. I ended up redoing my fender to core support braces. The big aluminum things I had were just sticking out too much. I also hadn't considered the fact that the heim joints at the core support end would hit the hood.
So I went to TSC and bought two 36" lengths of 3/4" metal tubing. Smashed the ends in my vise, put a couple of bends in them and bolted them up.

DSCN0261.jpg

You can all see my finished air cleaner setup. I welded on a 1.5" lip to dress it up a bit.

Also finished my battery cover which I think turned out pretty decent.

DSCN0263.jpg

Definitely helps clean up the engine bay visually. Kind of nice to have all the wiring slowly being tidied up and disappearing.

My neighbor stopped by tonight and we were discussing how to fix a few issues with the car. Namely my roof since I had a sunroof at one time and tried welding the hole closed a while back. The problem is that it warped the roof some and I've got a bit of oil canning going on. But I think we've figured out how we're going to fix that so I'm not going to be chopping the top to install T-tops.
Also we've hashed out a plan to fix my W-25 hood. The mounting points for the hinges on the hood had worked their way loose so I I'm going to have to cut into the hood and replace the steel inserts and refiberglass everything back in. Shouldn't be tough, just time consuming.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA

Sometimes the small things are what pull together the clean look of the engine bay... perfect example!

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois

The fender braces look MUCH better now that they are black.

MrHernandez

G-Body Guru
May 25, 2009
Jackson,TN

FE3X CLONE said:
Thanks guys.

Piddled around today doing a little powder coating. I ended up redoing my fender to core support braces. The big aluminum things I had were just sticking out too much. I also hadn't considered the fact that the heim joints at the core support end would hit the hood.
So I went to TSC and bought two 36" lengths of 3/4" metal tubing. Smashed the ends in my vise, put a couple of bends in them and bolted them up.

DSCN0261.jpg

You can all see my finished air cleaner setup. I welded on a 1.5" lip to dress it up a bit.

Also finished my battery cover which I think turned out pretty decent.

DSCN0263.jpg

Definitely helps clean up the engine bay visually. Kind of nice to have all the wiring slowly being tidied up and disappearing.

My neighbor stopped by tonight and we were discussing how to fix a few issues with the car. Namely my roof since I had a sunroof at one time and tried welding the hole closed a while back. The problem is that it warped the roof some and I've got a bit of oil canning going on. But I think we've figured out how we're going to fix that so I'm not going to be chopping the top to install T-tops.
Also we've hashed out a plan to fix my W-25 hood. The mounting points for the hinges on the hood had worked their way loose so I I'm going to have to cut into the hood and replace the steel inserts and refiberglass everything back in. Shouldn't be tough, just time consuming.
A good way to stop the "oil canning" is to tack weld spots on the flexing metal and immediately quench the spot with a wet rag, it will stiffen up your sheet metal

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

Thanks.

Yeah I had a friend that worked on it for a little bit by using a stud gun with a solid tip. He used it to put heat into the metal and then would quench it with water. Seemed to be working.

My neighbors idea was to weld in a metal "crossbow" on the underside of the roof. Basically push up on the roof to get the oil can out of it and then tack this piece of metal in across the roof which would keep it from popping back. From there he said we can work with it from the outside to get it straight again.

Bernhard

Greasemonkey
May 14, 2009

Was there a factory brace that was cut when the factory put the sunroof in the car? Flat panels are the worst to remove waves from. You can warp a hood or roof with a D/A sander if you put to much heat in a panel. You can shrink metal the old way with a torch and a Hammer and dolly. Some would do it with a shrinking hammer. On early import hoods we wood place a shim between the under hood brace and the outer sheetmetal and use an auto body adhesive to hold it in place this looked very factory. Removing oil canning can be very dificut as you can end up chasing it all a round the area you are repairing. How much work would it be to re skin the roof with a hard top roof. Your car looks great well thought out nice work. Are you going to use the factory fender braces or are they there for test fitting. Looking forward to more up date pictures. Bernhard

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

Bernhard said:
Was there a factory brace that was cut when the factory put the sunroof in the car?

Well, this wasn't a factory sunroof. I had it installed in my stupid days and should have never done it. They did cut a brace that runs across the roof but I have another one to put back in its place.

How much work would it be to re skin the roof with a hard top roof.

I know that's the way it should be done but I don't have another roof skin.

Are you going to use the factory fender braces or are they there for test fitting.

Not using the factory braces. I just made the ones in the pictures above to use. Was cheaper than finding factory braces that may or may not fit with the other items I have.

Thanks,

Bernhard

Greasemonkey
May 14, 2009

I thought they were factory braces they look OEM very nice. I just read your earlier post that you are not using the adjustable braces and made these new ones. Are you now using the rubber upper rad hose?

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

Bernhard said:
I thought they were factory braces they look OEM very nice. I just read your earlier post that you are not using the adjustable braces and made these new ones. Are you now using the rubber upper rad hose?

I am for the time being. My other hose(s) are weeping coolant at a few places where I had to weld them together. My plan is to give the ones I've already made up to my neighbor and let his son bend them out of one continuous piece of exhaust tubing so that I have no weld points to leak. They'll also look smoother.

I love my MIG welder but I think I try to use it like a TIG too much and just don't get the results I'm after. I really need a TIG!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor