Status
Not open for further replies.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
It's a fairly straight forward upgrade:

http://tech.oldsgmail.com/eint_flash.html

I bought an extra pigtail connector so that I could use the pre terminated wires and just solder them together to make the new wire I need for this.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
FE3X CLONE said:
It's a fairly straight forward upgrade:

http://tech.oldsgmail.com/eint_flash.html

I bought an extra pigtail connector so that I could use the pre terminated wires and just solder them together to make the new wire I need for this.

Sweet! Thanks for posting that! I will have to jump on rock auto and get a switch for the wagon now. :D

:edit: added to my RockAuto shopping cart!

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Finished gluing down the suede headliner material this afternoon. Didn't turn out too bad for my first attempt.

I bought the material from a local place:

http://www.miamicorp.com/

SYNERGY SUEDE II JET BLACK HEADLINER that has an 1/8" foam backing. It matches the other suede I bought from them for the A-pillars and console lid.

For the adhesive I used 3M Super 90. That stuff works great.

The wrinkles occurred where I folded the fabric back on itself so I could just glue one half at a time. If I had it to do over again I would enlist the help of another person so that they could help hold the headliner up as I smoothed it out.

Also took a picture of the driver's side A-pillar installed. I went a little different direction with the mounting hardware. Instead of paying big bucks for the original style captive washer screws and went to the local Menards and bought some #8 stainless screws and decorative furniture style washers. I kind of like the look:

I decided against installing the S-10/Blazer overhead console I have. I worked on making a template to modify it so that it fit the contours of the Olds headliner board but the more I messed with it the more I realized that all I am really gaining is some map lights.
I don't really need a sunglasses pocket, or some weird garage door opener holder and the only other compartment was for a map....kind of obsolete when you have a smartphone and google maps. :) I wasn't going to go to the trouble of figuring out how to wire the compass and temp senders since I didn't have a complete wiring harness. So in the end, if I want that stuff I'll just buy an auto dimming mirror from Dakota Digital that has map lights, compass and outside temp build in. Much nicer look and less conspicuous.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Filthy engine picture:

That body filler dust and primer dust goes everywhere. :( I don't know that I'll get it all clean without pulling the engine back apart.

Also considering going with a different set of wheels for the car. Found a thread an Olds forum discussing aftermarket ralley wheels and really liked these:

94series.jpg

Thinking of going with the 18x9.5's and 18x11's. Basically the same widths I have now just with a 1" larger OD. But I need to make sure they will allow me to run the C5 13" rotor setup. My current wheels wouldn't allow the 13" rotor to fit so I have a mixed setup of C5 calipers with 12" rotor. :(

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
love the progress! your headliner came out waaayyy better then mine! :wink: I used some headliner material from a 08 Jeep and looks good but the cheap *ss glue gave up in the summer heat last year and my headliner foam piece is jacked.... anyways like the build so far!

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Thanks!

I did have another issue with the headliner that I didn't find out about until after I cut the fabric for the dome light.

Turns out the aftermarket ABS headliner boards have the dome light cutout about 6" further back than where the light actually mounts. That is if you have the stock dome light/map light combo. :evil:

So now I either rip all of the material back off the board, cut a new hole in the ABS and start all over....or I redrill the steel plate for the dome light and move it back 6" and extend the wiring.

I think moving the light will be easier but haven't decided yet.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Always something huh? 6" back... sounds like the T-top dome light location. Makes you think of going overhead console again. That's the direction I'm going. More things to think about. I'm sure you'll make it a conversation piece which ever direction you go. You've been setting the bar since you started this build. :notworthy:
T

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Keep us updated on how that suede holds up in the sun.
I did a similar job a few years back, albeit with just some regular suede stuff from a local source but that stuff really faded out fast on the console between the seats....the headliner looks great though as it saw pretty much no sun.

I really like the suede look, and softer feel, but I'm hesitant to throw $$ at it again if it wont hold up to that big round bright thing in the sky. I get that it will fade a little, but black to gray doesnt cut it....

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
The suede I bought was automotive grade with UV inhibitors. You do have to be careful as you found out. The suede that you can buy at the local sewing supply places like JoAnn Fabrics are not UV stable. :(

Jetset, it did cross my mind about going back and adding the console but I'm still not sure about the amount of trouble vs the worth in the end.
Although I do have more time to mess with it now. I was in a hurry because I wanted to get the glass installed in my car and the the headliner would be easier to install without it. I have since found out that's not the case and I can get it in there through the doors.
So I may revisit the overhead console thing. :)

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Yeah I know what you mean. With me, the truck I had and my mini van have over heads and I can't live without one now. :mrgreen:
I always wanted to tell you I had the FE3X idea in mind when I bought my '88 in 2003. Yet I was more attracted to the white "Stormtrooper" project than the black "Darth" concept car. But instead of white I'm still playing with the factory silver. I'll call it the "Millennium Falcon" if I stay with the silver. :rofl: There is another color I'm contemplating but, that one is out there. You've taken basic ideas I had and surpassed them beyond anything I could imagine.
I bet you were trying to figure a way to make the adjustable rear spoiler work also. I have 2 ideas but I don't like the weight and packaging of them right now. I'm really not a fan of Angelo's version and I never got a close enough look at how Olds did it on the FE3X. Did you ever get a look at how Olds did the rear spoiler? I absolutely love that spoiler.
T

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor