1987 Olds Pro-touring project build - Now with paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
jetsetw31 said:
Yeah I know what you mean. With me, the truck I had and my mini van have over heads and I can't live without one now. :mrgreen:
I always wanted to tell you I had the FE3X idea in mind when I bought my '88 in 2003. Yet I was more attracted to the white "Stormtrooper" project than the black "Darth" concept car. But instead of white I'm still playing with the factory silver. I'll call it the "Millennium Falcon" if I stay with the silver. :rofl: There is another color I'm contemplating but, that one is out there. You've taken basic ideas I had and surpassed them beyond anything I could imagine.
I bet you were trying to figure a way to make the adjustable rear spoiler work also. I have 2 ideas but I don't like the weight and packaging of them right now. I'm really not a fan of Angelo's version and I never got a close enough look at how Olds did it on the FE3X. Did you ever get a look at how Olds did the rear spoiler? I absolutely love that spoiler.
T

I like the Millennium Falcon idea! If you had a brown car you could make it a "Jedi" or green could be "Yoda". :lol:

I still would like to make an adjustable rear spoiler yes. I've only seen the original Darth Vader FE3X in person once at the Olds Nationals in Cincinnati years ago but didn't get a close look at how they did the spoiler. I would like to take Angelo's idea that he used for his but I've always wanted to make it adjustable from the inside of the car using some sort of electric motor. I believe his is adjustable by loosening a couple of allen head screws at each end of the spoiler.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Yeah, But I had blue for the jedi and red for the sith. Green is definitely Yoda :mrgreen:
I agree with you that a motorized spoiler controlled from inside is the way to go. One of my plans was to use a window motor and regulator to actuate the spoiler but, it seemed to much weight mounted to the trunk lid. One day I will find out how Olds did it.
T

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I know Olds didn't have one that was motorized. It was similar to how Angelo has his, but I think it was "locked" in either the up or down modes from inside the trunk somehow.

I was thinking you could use a linear actuator to raise and lower the spoiler from inside the trunk. Of course figuring out how to make it move is one thing, making the joint where it moves water tight is another.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
An actuator was my other idea. I always though the concept's spoiler was controlled from inside the car. Hmm. Oh well let us be the ones who can figure out how to do it better than Olds did it. :lol:

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Leak proofing it stopped me dead in my tracks every time. :blam:

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Yeah from inside the trunk, I remember now. I wanted to make it inside the car. :lol:

I've been blowing up pics of that spoiler every which way but loose but, I just can't see enough of it to figure if they solved the seal problem or not. Judging from how Angelo did his, I don't think they let him in the trunk either. :roll:
Heck, If I have to, I make a stationary one NASCAR style just to get that look.

Attachments

• FE3X spoiler 1.jpg
    FE3X spoiler 1.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 759
  • FE3X spoiler 2.jpg
    FE3X spoiler 2.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 741

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Front windshield and back glass installed today!

Went ahead and installed the blacked front windshield trim but still need to bead blast and have the rear window trim powder coated.

Feels alot closer and looks a lot closer to being finished.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Looking total Bad *ss Andrew. :notworthy:

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Got my machined steering wheel spacer in yesterday. Designed it in CAD and had a friend machine it on his CNC. Hopefully this takes care of the turn signal stalk hitting the back of the steering wheel.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Nice! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor