1987 Olds Pro-touring project build - Now with paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Thanks Kevin. It's coming along slowly but surely.

Before winter hit I pulled the dash back out of the car along with the A/C evaporator so that I could finish plumbing the A/C on the inside. There was also a little primer overspray on the dash so I scuffed it all again and redyed it.

In that process I realized my dash surround has a broken mount for the center woodgrain so I had to fix that.

But I'm getting close to reassembling everything. Just trying to make sure I have any wiring and other little things finished while the dash is out before I put it back in. Really don't want to have to pull it back out again.

I ordered a couple of yards of black suede automotive fabric that other day to test out on my A-pillars. Finished them up today and it came out pretty decent:

Now I need to order a new headliner board and then I'll glue the suede to it and install everything before installing the glass.

It's starting to get warm and I'm itching to have this thing ready to be on the road. :)

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Im actually in the process of wrapping my A and B pillar plastics in vinyl. Definatley and improvement over the factory bare look or spray painted look :puke: What adhesive did you use?

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
-83MONTESS- said:
Im actually in the process of wrapping my A and B pillar plastics in vinyl. Definatley and improvement over the factory bare look or spray painted look :puke: What adhesive did you use?

I used 3M Super 77. It was between that and the 3M Super 90. I've never used the Super 90 and was worried it may soak through the suede.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Wrapped the center console lid in suede. Doesn't look too bad. I had a hard time trying to dye this piece black. Only thing I can figure is the foam it's made out of just kept sucking it up. Never could get a consistent finish. So suede it is.

Still need to clean up the rest of the center console and get it ready to spray.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
FE3X CLONE said:
Wrapped the center console lid in suede. Doesn't look too bad. I had a hard time trying to dye this piece black. Only thing I can figure is the foam it's made out of just kept sucking it up. Never could get a consistent finish. So suede it is.

Still need to clean up the rest of the center console and get it ready to spray.

Yep, wrapping the foam is the best way to go. Looks great.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
So I get my new flash-to-pass headlight high beam switch and begin installation.

I soon find out that my Grant banjo steering wheel is too close to the turn signal stalk and it doesn't allow me to pull it back far enough to activate the high beams. :evil:

Tried adjusting the switch and I just end up about an 1/8" short of it activating properly and consistently. So now I need to figure out if Grant has a way to space the wheel out a little further that won't look hideous or if I'll have to modify the bracket on the dimmer switch to get a little extra travel.

It's these stupid little things that can drive you mad sometimes!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
That sucks about the steering wheel. Never seen the "flash to pass" high beam switch before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor