200-4r lockup and my Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndiamoElky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 20, 2012
Okay I have an 86 el camino. I am in the process of doing an engine transplant and we removed all of the unused wires from the ECM harness. I know most don't approve of this but the harness was fried anyways from years of things melting etc. So my question is why won't my ECM still lockup my 200-4r's converter if that and the grounds are still remaining? Also if I left all of my a/c power etc. in and the ecm is still connected why won't it work as well. And my last question is if you convert to a non computer controlled dist. and carb do you lose use of your lockup without wiring a switch? If not then there has to be some way to get the computer to still control the lockup and a/c control only.

Thanks for your help, I just want to understand why it won't work not just that it won't work. Seems there should be a way.

Jim H.

Greasemonkey
Nov 13, 2011
Dayton, Ohio
Went old school on my 84 Hurst Olds did away with the computer and had to buy a B&M converter lockup control unit the number is BMM-70244 from either summit or jegs but it allows you to set the speed at which it will lock it up to get better gas mileage. You will have to remove the bulb from your check engine light as it will stay on all the time, as for the A/C unit mine works or did without the computer I think my fuse blew or a relay went out but had it working for some time with no computer. Hope this helps

AndiamoElky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 20, 2012
Jim, Thanks for that info. If I can't use the computer to control it I'll definitely go the route you have described. I still would like to know what is it that's been removed that makes it not work with the factory computer?

efigp83

Apprentice
Sep 22, 2011
Tinley Park, IL
if you are running a rather large cam in your motor you may want to just run a switch to turn it on and off. my motor lugs badly if i lock it up under 65mph. but yes the a/c should still work

efigp83

Apprentice
Sep 22, 2011
Tinley Park, IL
if you run that switch from b&m it has provision for vacuum and externally be switched it mounts to the trans case. you should be fine with that cam to run the vacuum line to it. i have a lot more cam (.568/.580 110 centerline) so if mine locks up to early it chugs.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
If I remember correctly, I don't think lockup goes thru the computer. It get 12v from the ign(going thru the brake switch) and grounds off the case. Maybe your brake switch is no good on the tcc side of it. Or bad ground or bad tcc solenoid. Got 12v at connector?

AndiamoElky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 20, 2012
Thank you for the info all. I'm going to hook it up as is for now and see if it functions "assuming it most likely won't" and after the cars up and running I'll work on getting that kit installed.

Thanks,
Jerry

hereiam

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2013
It has been years since I did this. When I put the 200r4 into my 65 nova here is what I remember.
I went to the wreckers and found a GM that was carburated and had cruise and a 200r4. I think it was something like and 85 Pontica. The pressure switch was mounted on the inner left fender and had a rubber line running over to the a/c control mounted beside the carb. The brake switch was a double one. One set of contacts normal closed and one set normally open. The vac line I ran to the manifold. The power(12v) I picked up from the normally closed on the brake switch and ran it to the pressure switch, from the pressure switch down to the plug on the transmission. The vac switch would close the circuit when it was cruising and when you applied the brakes the electrical circuit would open and drop the lock up convertor. You may want to buy and adjustable vac switch so you can adjust when it locks up, but the stock one works fine on my car. I dont know if this will help or not. I think that you already have everything you need. I would check for a bad vac line, or a bad brake switch and make sure the a/c control was getting vac. Remember this is from an old memory so I might have missed something, but I dont think so

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The CCC is a all or nothing type system, if you don't have all the sensors, carb, and dist the ECM will not operate correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor