200-4r lockup and my Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

hereiam

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2013
There was never a ecm in a 65 nova. The 200r4 doesnt need and ecm. All it needs is to know when to lock up based on the vac and the 12 power to do it. When the power is dropped the convertor unlocks. Nothing hi teck here, very basic. The only reason I suggested an adjustable vac switch is so that you can control when it locks up. Even easier way is just power it by a toggle switch on the dash, then you turn it on and off when you want. I would rather it work right so that is why I did it the other way.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
efigp83 said:
if you are running a rather large cam in your motor you may want to just run a switch to turn it on and off. my motor lugs badly if i lock it up under 65mph.

That's absolutely insane to have your engine 'lug badly' at anything under 65mph. That defetes the whole purpose of even having a lockup converter. I mean, if you can't even have it operate properly at a respectable ( aka legal ) highway speed, then you would probably be better off with a more efficient non-lockup converter.

Lockup IS controlled by the ECM but it will not work if you swap out the CCC carb ( and/or distributor ) for non CCC versions because the CCC carb/distributor sends signals to the ECM. Without those signals, the ECM doesn't know the things it needs to know.

The Painless lockup kit functions exactly the way the factory setup for non CCC cars but adding a toggle to eliminate low speed lugging would be a good add on to that.

P.S. It's WAY easier to just remove the circuit board from the Remote Lamp Driver than to pull the CE bulb.

efigp83

Apprentice
Sep 22, 2011
Tinley Park, IL
DoubleV said:
efigp83 said:
if you are running a rather large cam in your motor you may want to just run a switch to turn it on and off. my motor lugs badly if i lock it up under 65mph.

That's absolutely insane to have your engine 'lug badly' at anything under 65mph. That defetes the whole purpose of even having a lockup converter. I mean, if you can't even have it operate properly at a respectable ( aka legal ) highway speed, then you would probably be better off with a more efficient non-lockup converter.

Lockup IS controlled by the ECM but it will not work if you swap out the CCC carb ( and/or distributor ) for non CCC versions because the CCC carb/distributor sends signals to the ECM. Without those signals, the ECM doesn't know the things it needs to know.

The Painless lockup kit functions exactly the way the factory setup for non CCC cars but adding a toggle to eliminate low speed lugging would be a good add on to that.

P.S. It's WAY easier to just remove the circuit board from the Remote Lamp Driver than to pull the CE bulb.

i am running a 10" lock convertor in my car i had an 11" but it was too tight (btw it is a Coan with 500 miles on it, it is for sale). if i lock it up at 70mph i get about 17 mpg on the highway

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
efigp83 said:
i am running a 10" lock convertor in my car i had an 11" but it was too tight (btw it is a Coan with 500 miles on it, it is for sale). if i lock it up at 70mph i get about 17 mpg on the highway

What did your 11" Coan stall at? If I were in the market for a converter and I knew yours would give me the right stall with my setup, I would be interested.

efigp83

Apprentice
Sep 22, 2011
Tinley Park, IL
DoubleV said:
efigp83 said:

What did your 11" Coan stall at? If I were in the market for a converter and I knew yours would give me the right stall with my setup, I would be interested.

pm sent

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor