200-4r or 4L80E?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Get a different trans guy. Sounds like he doesn't really know how to work on overdrives or at least modify them to last.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
FE3X CLONE said:
Get a different trans guy. Sounds like he doesn't really know how to work on overdrives or at least modify them to last.

X2 Trying to talk out of an overdrive kind of answers the question of his capabilities.

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada
He is a pretty well known builder in these parts, but yeah that has kind of left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe your right he only likes to build powerglides and th400s. If they are so week then why are they so popular. Im not doubting that a 200-4r isnt the best choice for a 450-500 ft/lb LS engine but he doesn't even sound keen on the 7004r either.

shanghaismith

Greasemonkey
Mar 5, 2010
Macon, GA
OldBlue82 said:
He is a pretty well known builder in these parts, but yeah that has kind of left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe your right he only likes to build powerglides and th400s. If they are so week then why are they so popular. Im not doubting that a 200-4r isnt the best choice for a 450-500 ft/lb LS engine but he doesn't even sound keen on the 7004r either.
I don't think he cares about what you want or need, only what he wants to do. Find someone else. I have a 200 4R in my Cutlass with a 403 that makes around 400 HP and 440 FT LBs I spray a 150 shot and the torque coming off the line is about 700 FT LBs I raced it for 2 years (about 120 runs) and it still works perfect. I had a good builder that was enthusiastic about the build and used parts from CK performance.

spudd

Apprentice
Sep 10, 2012
FE3X CLONE said:

I agree . I have been talking to a lot of trany shops around here and they all tell me the 200r4 can be built to hold up to 1000 hp with ease,,,I will be running a stroked 496 that will be at 650hp 600ft lbs torque as a street cruiser and I want to drive it on the freeway without hitting 6000 rpm.
In the long run it's a lot cheaper to have a 200r4 built up if that's what's in it now
I have no fear of one holding up at all if built right

bigmandengo

Apprentice
Oct 16, 2010
You shouldn't even need a standalone controller for the 4l80e. Your stock lq9 ecm will control the transmission just fine. That should save you a few bucks.

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada
bigmandengo said:
You shouldn't even need a standalone controller for the 4l80e. Your stock lq9 ecm will control the transmission just fine. That should save you a few bucks.

Was carbing the lq9 (I know ppl think its a waste) but the cost to have the ecm professionally tuned every time you make a change will add up and there is no local shop to do it. Plan on going with a fast efi some day when funds alow it. I think I have found another builder that is more keen on building the 200-4r and actually thinks they are a good trans so I might try him. By the sounds of it they can handle much more than what the first guy told me.

bnkk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 21, 2013
Ive been researching the 200r4 all winter (its not cheap so want it done right) stay away from the monster 200r4 just do a search on them youll see. all and all it ends up being extreme automatics that has the best rep and service that ive seen. I emailed him and told him I was on the border of stage one and 2 and wanted to know what he thought, expecting typical bs you get from sales people anymore I was pleasantly surprised he didnt just try to upsell me an instead gave me info to decide on my own, ill be buying from him for sure.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
I would recomend the 4l80 it is pretty much a nicer n beefier version of the 700, the 200 n 700 are really about the same. I do like the 200, but you can upgrade the 700 further because a lot of aftermarket parts are made for it...a lot of them are from later versions such as 4l60 & 4l80

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor