200 4r or t-350

Status
Not open for further replies.

arocars

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 1, 2007
Massachusetts
Hi folks. I have an 85 Salon with a 307, metric 200 3-speed automatic, stock console shift, and 7.5" rear end. The trans is starting to slip, so I'm looking to replace it. All computer controls are properly hooked up and working. I'm not presently concerned about not being able to downshift into 1st gear with the 200 r4, so that isn't a factor in my decision.

Which would be the most direct bolt-in swap, a t-350 or a 200 4r?

My thanks in advance for your thoughts.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
TH350 would be a bolt in operation

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
If you are looking for the cheapest and easiest route go with the th350.

If you have the budget, it would be great to have the overdrive, especially if you plan to ever put steeper gears in it and still want to be able to drive comfortably down the highway at 80mph.

It really depends on budget and what you want out of the car long term.

arocars

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 1, 2007
Massachusetts
Thanks for your quick replies.

I have 2xx:1 gears in there now. This will not be a race car, just a driver. Looking for the simplest, bolt-in replacement. The less parts I have to buy and the less fabrication I have to do, the better.

I still have the stock computer and wiring in place.

Thanks again.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
given the gears and the budget, i'd say the 350. but the 200r4 is a very good trans and overdrive is VERY nice. if you can find a 3.42 or 3.73 rear in the junkyard it'd be a nice combo.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
another vote for a 200r4. wont cost too much extra, especially if it is a salvage yard transmission.

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
It would be a few extra bucks well spent. Go 200-4r

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
It's going to cost the same for either transmission, really. The 2004R is a DIRECT swap for the 200 - I did it as well. The only thing different needed to go down the road is the 2004R crossmember. beeterolds is selling one for 40 bucks, I think.

With a TH350, you need to make absolutely sure that you get the proper length output shaft. Short shaft is too short, and long shaft is too long. You need a medium length shaft. Good luck with that or plan on getting your driveshaft modified as well.

Get the used crossmember and call it a day. My "1" isn't aligned with the pointer, but I don't care. I still can get all 4 speeds with my 3 speed shifter so I don't care!

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor