200 4r swap questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada
i have an 82 monte that had a th 350 in it with a stock floor shifter but i am missing the linkage since the car didnt come with the motor and trans. i swapped in a 200 4r out of a 87 monte with a column shifter. will i need to find a new aftermarket shifter or one out of a car that originally had a 200 4r floor shift? or can i modify the one i have to make it work? also where would i be able to get the right linkage to convert my 200 4r to a floor shift since it came out of a car with a column shift?

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
As far as I know there is no way to modify the shifter to work with a 4 speed. The easiest thing to do is to get a shifter from a car that has a 4 speed trans.

For the linkage, you will need the back drive linkage that connects the steering column to the trans, the cable that connects the shifter to the trans(it probably will be on the shifter), and the bracket for the cable that bolts to the trans. I do not know if the back drive linkage has to be from a floor shift car, but I have heard that they can be from any trans.

You should be able to post all of this in the wanted section and someone here should have this stuff. Also there is always ebay and the junk yard.

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
Believe it or not, if you hook up the cable between the shifter and the trans properly, it will work. You will see, however, that you have to "feel" which gear your trans is in because the mark on the shifter will not line up properly with tags for D, 2, or L.

The rod from the steering column to the trans is for the neutral start switch. You can also wire around that or hook a switch to it to make it work. I start by using some wire to hold the column nub (the part that the shift rod goes in) all the way up so that the neutral start switch thinks it is in park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor