200 r4 vs. 700 r4

Status
Not open for further replies.

87montecarlomrc

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2010
Oklahoma
i have a stock 200 r4 in my car and it works great and shifts fine but i was wondering bout the 700 r4 has any1 changed ro it. is it better the the 200 r4. should i just keep the 200

Keep the 200 4R. 🙂

ok that was easy enuf to decide. 😛

I can speak from experience...as much as I love my 700r-4, if I had a 200-4r in my car, I'd keep it. Mine had the 200c metric non-overdrive junk in it. I did a motor and transmission swap. 350 chevy and a 700r-4. Swap was a pain...all because of 700r-4. All that aside, I love the 700r-4. Only downfall is larger drop between 1st and 2nd gear. Does have a higher last gear though. I would not recommend for a swap if you have the 200-4r. transmission's are very similar, except the 200-4r actually belongs in the g-bodies. 700r-4 does not. You would at least need a different crossmember, shortened driveshaft, and camaro shift cable and cable bracket.

yea it would be alot simpler to just stick with the 200 because i dont want to spend money on new driveline when i already have something thats working for me

Just to add... the 200 4R is a strong transmission to begin with. Many actually prefer it over the 700 R4 when upgrading.

yea i read that they was real strong

IMO, I would get the 700 and sell the 200 4r to me for $50.

Thats just what I think.

lol. those 200 r4s sell for alot sometimes. ive seen some cheap ones but not many

Yup, 200-4r can be pricey but if you've got one, it is definitely cheaper to upgrade it rather than installing and upgrading a 700r-4. I will state though that parts for 700r-4 are much cheaper and readily available. PATC however sells upgrades for both at relatively cheap prices. After my own experience though, I would not recommend 700r-4 only because I am lazy and it is a lot more work than 200-4r lol. Just another comment PATC is in the middle of patenting a brand new 6-pinion planet gear set that is going to be pricey but will adjust the ratio of transmission. "700R4 / 4L60E with PATC close ratio gear set, Low geared 1st with 11.72% less 1st to 2nd RPM drop than the wide ratio gear set, This is the same ratio as a 4R70W transmission." This balances out the biggest difference between the 200 & 700, which is the rpm between 1st & 2nd gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor