231 Even-Fire Guru sought

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
So, here's the thing. Correct cam bearings on the 231 varied by year, particularly if you've got a 109 block (1986-87 casting).

Pre-1985 blocks were different, and, supposedly all four the same diameter, 1.19175, and #1 only is wider. The 109 block used bearings 2 & 3 OD is 1.9175 and 1 & 4 OD is 1.9375, and, #s 1&4 are BOTH wider.

So, the question becomes partly what you were sent, and, what it was supposed to be for.

Or am I misunderstanding what's not fitting? Very possible. Took the pain meds early tonight
Thanks that is helpful. So I am not going to assume anymore that mine is a 1980 block out of a 1980 ELCO. I will get the block casting number and go from there. I knew there was a reason I liked Oldsmobile best! GM Engineering by committee just sucks canal water most of the time!

Appreciate the clarification for sure!

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
How many oil pan bolts does it have?

14 bolts is 1985 and earlier block, 20 bolts is 1985 and later block. Some data says they used both for a time in 1985.

Reactions: 1 user

Sowle

n00b
Dec 24, 2023
Thanks that is helpful. So I am not going to assume anymore that mine is a 1980 block out of a 1980 ELCO. I will get the block casting number and go from there. I knew there was a reason I liked Oldsmobile best! GM Engineering by committee just sucks canal water most of the time!

Appreciate the clarification for sure!

Reactions: 1 user

Sowle

n00b
Dec 24, 2023
H522 federal mogul pistons will bump your compression to over 9.0. Edelbrock provides a cam to match their intake that has worked very well. An inexpensive valve spring for that cam Melling VS380. If you insist on winding it tight all the time I recommend good new valve locks. Remember to check your pushrod length when changing cams. Watch for two dot or three dot rods in your engine. Durabond cam bearings will set you straight. In a better world find a set of 8445 casting heads they can be had reasonable already overhauled- they are also on various fwd olds/buick etc. Only particular 1985 fwd models had an injection intake that will bolt to rwd stuff.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor