Fire Extinguisher

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Getting ready to buy a new fire extinguisher for my car. I had two Halon 2.5lb extinguishers for years. Had one behind the seat of my truck and one on the floor in my Nova. I used one to put out an engine fire in a VW years ago. Had it refilled at my old job but over the years the charge leaked down. Same with the one I didnt use. I guess it can happen to them over many years. I took them to a place that sells and refills extinguishers and they could only recharge one. That was at least 15 years ago and now its lost the charge again.
I decided to buy an Amerex Halotron. Pretty pricy but way cheaper than a Halon. By a lot !!!

Before anyone suggests a dry chemical one of my friends had a lot of damage to his Pontiac after an engine fire while it was at a shop. Not exactly sure what started it. Might have been the lines to his new Sniper system that was just installed a week or two before. The shop emptied every dry chem extinguisher they had to try to put it out. FD showed up and finished the job. The glass hood melted. Had to replace EVERYTHING under the hood besides the block and heads. I think the bill is up around $40K. Its still not finished.
A lot of the damage was cause by the dry chemical. Anything aluminum that wasnt even touched by the fire had to be replaced. Motor needed to be rebuilt along with the brand new aluminum heads. Right then I decided to never use dry chem in either of my cars. I'll break down and get the Halotron. Buy once, cry once.

The big question, buy a 2.5lb or go to a 5lb instead ?

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I was a fire fighter for 9 years, more is better... ran out of water once on a fire and that was not fun. Then again that was Iraq and we had limited resources.. so one of them we did what we could.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor