305 HAS NOW POWER!!! & KILLED 1/2 A TANK OF GAS IN 10 MIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

86cutlassrules

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2008
Re: 305 HAS NOW POWER!!! & KILLED 1/2 A TANK OF GAS IN 10 MI

Have you run a compression test on this engine? Have you pulled out spark plugs to check to see if they are fouled? Is the car puffing blue, black, or white smoke? Change your intake manifold gasket its cheap, easy and will probably make your car instantly run better. Then set your timing to spec, adjust your TV cable and take it for a ride, also see if your shifter is set right when you put the car in neutral is it really in neutral or is it in drive or reverse? If that doesnt fix it, rebuild it or swap another motor in shes had enough.

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

86cutlassrules said:
Have you run a compression test on this engine? Have you pulled out spark plugs to check to see if they are fouled? Is the car puffing blue, black, or white smoke? Change your intake manifold gasket its cheap, easy and will probably make your car instantly run better. Then set your timing to spec, adjust your TV cable and take it for a ride, also see if your shifter is set right when you put the car in neutral is it really in neutral or is it in drive or reverse? If that doesnt fix it, rebuild it or swap another motor in shes had enough.

no compressiontest no smoke im gnna change the gasket sat and have the tv cable adjusted and my shifter is right its in neutral when it says its in neutral so idk what it could be it might be my rear end like the guy said it would be????? what gear ratio should i have if i do put the 350 in??

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

87chevyboy said:
ERIC87442 said:
what trans did you have in there before you switched to a 700r4?

200 r4

Well, considering the TH-700R4 has a steeper 1st gear as well as a steeper 4th gear than the TH-2004R, you shouldn't be having any acceleration issues.

Was the TH-2004R junk before? Just curious why you pulled the TH-2004R for the 700?

My other question would be, did this power loss just start happening or has it always been there? If it did just happen all of a sudden, what did you change? Same for the fuel loss. Did this just start happening all of a sudden or did you make a change to the car and then it started happening?

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person

Wow you've got allot going on here.

Step back from it all and breathe man. Start with the engine first, identify for CERTAIN if you are still losing, or burning oil. Remove your spark plugs and check if they are fouled out. Goto advanced auto, and pickup a compression testing tool for about 15-20$. Check the compression on each cylinder ( remove the spark plug, and place the compression tool in the hole, they screw in just like a spark plug) see what you get there. Don't forget to unplug the red wire to your Distributor, you don't want the engine to start up while checking compression.

Read this before you check your plugs, it should help you alittle in understanding if there is something wrong there. http://www.aa1car.com/library/cm1196.htm

Also, what carburetor is on this 305?is it stock?? find some model numbers, right down anything you see on the carb. Take pictures if you can, and post them on here.

You mentioned about a bolt missing on your intake?? Take care of that ASAP, I'm not 100% sure on this but that could cause a vacuum leak, and will cause the motor to run like hell. Check everything else for vacuum leaks.

Second, can you get a casting number off of this engines block?? It should be on the back of the motor , passanger side, where the transmission mounts to the engine block.

As for the TV cable on your 700R4, You cannot really adjust this, you can only SET it. It NEEDS to be right or you will damage this transmission. It's not hard, trust me. I was where you are with 700R4's, i didn't know anything about them when i bought mine, and learned everything through trail and error. Read these two pages,

http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php That is an easy to understand breakdown of how the TV cable and valve work.

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Instruc ... adjust.htm And that is a guide to properly set it.

Lastly, you asked if you get a 350 SHORTBLOCK ( block + rotating assembly, crank , pistons..ext) Will your 305 top-end work?? YES it will, but is it worth it? Not really. You'll have to get those heads cleaned up at a machine shop most likely, and if you have the stock intake manifold then it's probably a junker. Don't worry, intake manifolds are cheap, i have a stock GM intake manifold, aluminum, off of a corvette, and plenty of other parts to build a mild-stout 350 that i'd be glad to hook you up with. Don't worry about ANY of that now, focus on whats in front of you, figure out whats up with your 305, post up everything on here, and we'll help you go from there. Good luck.

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ

CamaroAdam73 said:
stomis, My reasoning behind my opinion is because its a 305, with 100K+ miles, losing allot of oil fast, and dumps gas, hard. 305's are dime a dozen. If the motor DOES have serious problems, i think he should just scrap it and pickup something new.

IF it has serious problems, that's why i said he should, not he needs too.

Another thing, i didn't read all of the posts either, it seems like this motor has allot of small issues, I went through this with a 350 i had dude, if you really want to keep this engine, i would just get the car off the road for alittle bit, pull the motor and go over it with a fine tooth comb.

I'm not trying to be negative at all, just saying it might be worth it go with a new motor, on a fresh page. My two cents.

I hear ya man. Its just ya gotta understand that being an enthusiast of cars that came with 305s and cruising the forums the seemingly constant "Stop wasting your money and just get a damn 350" responses get old. But I do agree, if hes gonna scratch the motor due to the issues then yes find yourself a cheap 350 and run it. The only problem is that we've all been posting on this thread for like 3 or 4 days and I dont think the OP has tried any of the fixes...

I understand not everyone is mechanically inclined and OP dont take this as a personal attack but you gotta get your *ss out under the hood and **** with the car. Sitting here going maybe its this maybe its that isnt gonna fix it and you might as well take it to a shop.

Get out there change the plugs, cap, rotor, intake manifold gaskets, time the motor correctly WITH A GUN.

As far as your oil leak, address it. Dont let the fact that it magically stopped stop you from finding it because it will come back, they dont magically go away.

Lol adam way to post the same sh*t as me like 5 seconds before...

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person

LOL, stomis i understand totally.

As for,
I hear ya man. Its just ya gotta understand that being an enthusiast of cars that came with 305s and cruising the forums the seemingly constant "Stop wasting your money and just get a damn 350" responses get old

Check out one of my other build threads :D i still have all of the parts, including one of the only valuable set of 305 heads that can actually make decent power.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21149

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

FE3X CLONE said:
87chevyboy said:
ERIC87442 said:
what trans did you have in there before you switched to a 700r4?

200 r4

Well, considering the TH-700R4 has a steeper 1st gear as well as a steeper 4th gear than the TH-2004R, you shouldn't be having any acceleration issues.

Was the TH-2004R junk before? Just curious why you pulled the TH-2004R for the 700?

My other question would be, did this power loss just start happening or has it always been there? If it did just happen all of a sudden, what did you change? Same for the fuel loss. Did this just start happening all of a sudden or did you make a change to the car and then it started happening?

yeah bro it was junk the tow truck company that towed my car when i got a flat ****ed up my trann plus they recomnded the 700 over the 200

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

stomis said:
CamaroAdam73 said:
stomis, My reasoning behind my opinion is because its a 305, with 100K+ miles, losing allot of oil fast, and dumps gas, hard. 305's are dime a dozen. If the motor DOES have serious problems, i think he should just scrap it and pickup something new.

IF it has serious problems, that's why i said he should, not he needs too.

Another thing, i didn't read all of the posts either, it seems like this motor has allot of small issues, I went through this with a 350 i had dude, if you really want to keep this engine, i would just get the car off the road for alittle bit, pull the motor and go over it with a fine tooth comb.

I'm not trying to be negative at all, just saying it might be worth it go with a new motor, on a fresh page. My two cents.

I hear ya man. Its just ya gotta understand that being an enthusiast of cars that came with 305s and cruising the forums the seemingly constant "Stop wasting your money and just get a damn 350" responses get old. But I do agree, if hes gonna scratch the motor due to the issues then yes find yourself a cheap 350 and run it. The only problem is that we've all been posting on this thread for like 3 or 4 days and I dont think the OP has tried any of the fixes...

I understand not everyone is mechanically inclined and OP dont take this as a personal attack but you gotta get your *ss out under the hood and **** with the car. Sitting here going maybe its this maybe its that isnt gonna fix it and you might as well take it to a shop.

Get out there change the plugs, cap, rotor, intake manifold gaskets, time the motor correctly WITH A GUN.

As far as your oil leak, address it. Dont let the fact that it magically stopped stop you from finding it because it will come back, they dont magically go away.

Lol adam way to post the same sh*t as me like 5 seconds before...

lol i hear you bro and i did fix it im putting up video the oil leak is gone now that i put the bolt on my intake manifold now to figure out the power loss and why it wont go faster than 45 with a new transmission and torque converter and the transmission is not slippin

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ

If there was a vacuum leak you need to pull the manifold and put new gaskets in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor