G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
Subscribed.

Can't wait to see how this turns out.

85 B Regal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 3, 2010
Very nice!! This is exactly what I'm planning on doin with my 84, if I can find a motor around here. :(.
Also couldn't help but notice the pontiac in the garage. ;)

81X11

Master Mechanic
Oct 28, 2010
Round Rock Texas
Couple of update pics from the shop. Have not been able to get down there much lately, but 307 is about ready to come out. Still will have to paint then engine bay, and then will drop the 350 in.

IMG_20120311_142133.jpg

IMG_20120311_142216.jpg

IMG_20120311_142230.jpg

-Mike

81X11

Master Mechanic
Oct 28, 2010
Round Rock Texas
Ok the guilt trip from friends is wearing me down. I've been talking to some Olds folks and am told VHT #sp-132 Universal Gold works well. Not perfectly correct, but less metallic than the Dupli-Color gold AutoZone sells.

About $8 a can. What do you think? Do I need to pull the intake and valve covers off and re-paint the block....?

Nothing like pressure from friends....

41EFNG0zvL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

Here's the only two pics I can find of it on someone's cars
4182290128_large.jpg

ffp1.jpg

This is what I had purchased at Autozone...it looked VERY wrong!
41bcsLy13mL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

-Mike

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
Looks great!!

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
Aren't you supposed to run that alternator belt down past the crank pulley too? Just wondering.

It is a beautiful setup!

Dragonist

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2010
Dallas, Tx
KrisW said:
Aren't you supposed to run that alternator belt down past the crank pulley too? Just wondering.

It is a beautiful setup!

nope thats how i have mine on my olds 350

81X11

Master Mechanic
Oct 28, 2010
Round Rock Texas
Sorry for not updating!

The Cutlass is still in pieces. I could not find a dipstick tube for it, so ended up taking the oil pan off the old 307 and beating the tube out of it from the bottom. Man what a MESS, that 307 was NASTY inside. I kept the oil changed the year I had it, but the bottom of the pan was full of chunky sludge. It’s no wonder the car had no oil pressure if it was sucking that into the engine. Yuck.

I had to take the passenger side exhaust manifold off the 307 to get the dipstick tube out as well, the tube runs under it, between the manifold and the block. It’s amazing how small the 307 exhaust ports are, they are round, and about the size of a quarter. It’s no wonder those engines are so weak, they can’t breathe! The ports on the 350 are HUGE in comparison.

Also had a little issue with belt alignment. The 350 harmonic balancer is just a tad wider than the 307, so I have to put one washer on each of the water pump studs to align the upper and lower pulleys.

The current issue is sorting out the vacuum stuff. I’m not running a smog pump on the 307, and have removed all the emissions-related garbage, but still have the EGR, have to make the carb and cruise control work.

The carb, distributor, and overdrive in the transmission are all controlled by the computer….and I don’t know how the computer is going to react to the having the majority of the emissions devices removed. I really hope the car runs and shifts!

I’m thinking if it doesn’t run, or runs terrible, I may have to get an aftermarket carb, a pre-1980 vacuum distributor, and an aftermarket switching device for the overdrive, and just totally take the stock computer out of the mix. I guess we’ll see soon enough! Getting close to turning the key!

It is cool to finally SEE the engine in the car! Will keep you folks updated.

-Mike

CuttyEng001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor