383 ez-efi and overdrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttype

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2017
Brockville, Ontario.
just finished sliding the motor mount thru-bolts in... so long 383 for now. the old buick'll have a well used 327 to tool around western Canada until the 383 gets a GOOD and PROPER rebuild this time. thanks to some encouraging words from PontiacGP a while ago, i'll look after that m'self, thanks.

it's kind of a bummer to have to rebuild a pro-built 383 with at most 600 miles on it, but hey, like Steve said, ya just hafta quit bein' lazy and get up off your *ss and do it yourself sometimes if ya want it done right. there are a lot of "good" people around here to draw positive encouragement from, and your will(s) and dedication(s) are prime examples of "man conquers machine".

this thread's title may not be 100 percent correct(for the time being), but it was for a brief time and it was exhilarating to say the least. it will remain an ez-efi and overdrive build however, and the build will continue with improvements until that 383 is back better than ever, and maybe, just maybe with a manually shifted overdrive(OOPS)... since i do have a set of clutch pedals, z-bar, a scattershield etc... maybe discombobulating the 383 while it was close to home was a blessing, since this cat wanders around quite a bit. the overdrive that's in it now will surely outlast the 327 i just put in... for now...

more to come,

r.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

ttype

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2017
Brockville, Ontario.
it sure is nice to have a "human powered" machine to cruise round in when your frustrated from working on your back with your project on axle stands... just go for a quick spin on the bike to limber up and take some stress away at the same time. bell-housing bolts are in save for the dipstick tube bolt. hopeful to have drive train and exhaust bolted up by tomorrow evening, then re-attach wiring and add new lengths of wiring to reduce RMI from the handheld programmer. since the computer will have to re-learn its new "subject", it'll be helpful to give it the least amount of white noise as possible. computers are picky that way.

disappointments aside, i'm already looking forward to re-assembling a "new and improved" 383. all the while cruising around in a car i've had for 8 years, and drove for 3000 miles in that time. it'll surely get a pile more this year... we'll see how the work schedule goes...

'til the next time,

r.

p.s. while having a black engine bay, and a black transmission, and a black motor is kinda cool... just keep in mind it's really hard to work under there without a headlamp on at all times, even during daylight hours. i commend Jared for painting his new mill bright GM blue. the 327 i'm installing is painted chevy orange and it's already shedding new light on things... keep at your projects a little bit at a time folks, you'll get there eventually. now, to practice what i just preached.

Reactions: 1 user

ttype

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2017
Brockville, Ontario.
splendid day today for progress!!! trans bolted back on the motor, its crossmember is pinned, motor mounts tight, headers bolted and tight, dizzy is in and clocked, small mishap with a pulled header bolt but corrected with a redi-rod stud(phew!!!).

should be back up and running soon... don't wanna jinx it by saying tomorrow, but at least i'm real close...

r.

Reactions: 1 users

ttype

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2017
Brockville, Ontario.
didn't run it today... had a 4 legged visitor early evening, so we just hung around while i got some PCV plumbing attended to. exhaust buttoned up, sparkplugs are challenging with the headers and 041 heads... 5/8" socketed plugs are way easier to tighten than 13/16"(sparkplug socket doesn't physically fit #5 and #7). they will require having the starter dropped to get a wrench on 'em lol(PMGR starter is handier 'n sh*t at a time like this!)... torque converter bolts done, re-usable header collector gaskets tightened again (love 'em), re-aligned buick hydroboost pump, crank pulley, throttle body set. cooling system will be last thing in since i fit in the engine compartment and wiring needs completing.

modified BBB 455-4 air cleaner assembly with HEI clearancing and 3" snorkel tube looks the part and will be compliant with my self-imposed noise regulations... i'll add some tubing to it later to complete CAI. 14"x3" air filter element in that one...

while the blow-by wasn't excessive by any means previously, it was noticeable, hence the rework to PCV into the air cleaner and made it filterable so as not to interfere with IAT and MAP sensors. this mill is only temporary anyways, so if i can nurse it around for the summer, that'd be fine with me. bodywork can wait until the drivetrain is completely sorted.... and car in a new home in the Kootenays...

more to come,

r.

ttype

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2017
Brockville, Ontario.
got a few things done on old 'buford... re-ran some wiring to clean-up from my last assembly since it was hastily done to get the car moving under its own power. EFI computers don't like a lot of noise, and as such, my handheld would develop a communication failure on account of it. the motor and computer had time to set a tune since it was in the car i gave my brother. my electronic tach signal wire was hastily run under my ignition, and rarely gave an accurate reading(RMI is what it is referred to over at CPGNation), and the tach signal to ECM ran in the same ribbed harness(likely the RMI the handheld programmer didn't like much either).

may attempt to shield the EFI harness tomorrow with tinfoil and bond it to ground like we do at work with instrument signals. others claim it works, and i have nothing to lose, and instrument signal wire has simple foil wrapping in it as well.

tried out my modified 455-4 air breather assembly since another member had questions about his GM breather set-up and i was happy to oblige him. his name is Jared and has a very sweet looking Grand Prix he's playing with. after removing a lot of my mangled and dirty/dusty underhood insulation, i figured i'd carry on removing the rest of it. thinking i'd hafta notch a rib from a support under the hood, i tried out my new fangdangled air cleaner without the spacer i figured i'd need. sure glad i did!. another well known member here Steve mentioned he has a tall set-up with dual snorkel breather without interference issues, so "Monkey See" went to "Monkey Do" and surmised i didn't need to notch my brace after all. another good one from the knowledgeable members here to me!' thank you GBodyforum.

my notched air breather fits a 14"x3" element like most good open air breathers have, and want less intrusion from air breather roar at WOT, and figured the best way to that end was a factory style air cleaner, 'cept opened up a bit. the oval opening is 4" by 1.5", = 6sq,in. to it i welded a(one end flattened) short piece of 3" exhaust pipe. plenty of CFM. David Vizard figures 115 CFM/sq.in so there should be plenty of air volume available for a mild 327 that is not going to be raced, but thoroughly enjoyed in passing gear.

looking forward to buttoning up loose wiring ends tomorrow and starting the self-tune on the ECM,

r.

p.s. checking for air cleaner to hood interference is so much easier without the rad/fan shroud/alternator installed. even this short little guy can sneak an arm up in there with jounce bars installed.

keep wrenching!

Reactions: 2 users

ttype

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2017
Brockville, Ontario.
quite a few little things accomplished today... dropped the starter in order to torque 5 & 7 spark plugs(glad nobody thought of correcting my other post about "6 and 8" being "above the starter", (ahem ahem ahem...),

needed to cut off a piece of "allen wrench " to remove mini starter bolts(5/16")...

re-routed tach and signal wires to drivers' side to avoid high tension interference reaching my ECM mounted on pedestal stands above fender, MSD box is on passenger fender

shortened air cleaner stud, added a rolled wad of A/C filter pad between PCV entry into air breather and filter element,

installed the alternator and its belt, fan, rad and shroud, topped those fluids,

confirmed clearances between air breather and spark plug boots at HEI (ample room due to 1/2 moon band-saw relief cut and welded back in upside down),

installed two batteries... the second one was the right one :) ,

glued the TV back into its rightful spot for the handheld programmer, was loose and barely attached from factory, then unattached and floppier 'n a puppy dog's ear,

looked all over for some copper foil(concentric neutral repair/splice kit) for interference shield, then figured i'll just find it when i don't need it and the car's running again anyways, or if the radio noise hasn't been remedied from the re-route... ,

topped up trans fluid i pulled out when i yanked the new motor out( spill prevention),

realised it was well over an hour past sunset, and close to bedtime for the kids next door, four of 'em under 9, two aren't in school yet...

tomorrow's an other day, i'll find out tomorrow around noon about another job, so hopefully i can take the car to work next week...

if not to work next week, maybe down to the "beach" by Evil's lair this week to look for gooey duck(s) and oysters... 'll play that one by ear for the time being, since it's sposta snow in Lotus Land this week...

if i get it to the salt chuck and back without a hitch tomorrow(18 miles return), i'll yank the bench seat out, install the bucket seats and different rear cushions, and look for the build sheet while i'm back there...

r.

p.s. every page you sign off gets you to another page...

Reactions: 1 user

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Let me know if you're down...I should be around all day Saturday but I have to run to Cowichan Sunday....

ttype

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2017
Brockville, Ontario.
HEEEEEE HE HE HE heeee.... heeeeeeeee hehehe he he... that old 327 runs great!!! 11deg base timing with vacuum advance connected and functioning, and she cracked to life! let 'er warm up to temp with the A/F settings from before.... purrrrs like a kitten at idle, and howls like a wolf with just a hint of throttle... gonna head to gas station for a gerry can top-up, then stop for a day permit... hhehehehehe.... need to turn down the idle setscrew a bit to have IAC counts a bit more in line with recommendations... but boy am i happy with this build again... ez-efi would've been the sh*t with that motor had i done that swap first. but hey... there's still a 383 to refresh, and that 5speed swap i've wanted all along...

yak later!

r.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users

ttype

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2017
Brockville, Ontario.
IRM was the term i thought i was mentioning a few posts back... my numbers went from 50'ish to 10 by moving the tach signals around the front of the car by the hood latch.

r.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
IRM was the term i thought i was mentioning a few posts back... my numbers went from 50'ish to 10 by moving the tach signals around the front of the car by the hood latch.r.

@50ish that would have been causing issues.... 10 is much better although single digit to zero would obviously be ideal.

Suxs your 383 gave you issues. Love my 383 w/ EZ EFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor