383 stroker motor ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwilliams_1978

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 27, 2009
WHERE CAN I GET THE BEST DEAL ONLINE FOR ME A 383 STROKER MOTOR I WANT IT TO BE STREET AND MAYBE TRACK BUT I WANT TO SMOKE MY BUDDYS LIGHTNING(FORD) I HAVE A 78 BUICK REGAL. I SAW 1 ON SUMMIT.COM FOR AROUND 4100 IVE BEEN SAVING FOR ABOUT 3 MONTHS NOW AND WANT 1 SO BAD ANY1 GOT ANY ANSWERS? THANKS LOOKING TO SPEND AROUND THAT BUT CHEAPER MAYBE SOME ONES BOUGHT 1 CHEAPER OR BUILT ONE CHEAPER?

Attachments

• reg.jpeg
    reg.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,447

racebiker1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2009
if u build it yourself and take your time you can find some real deals on parts craigs list is a great sorce. I just finished my 383 in August i have about 2500 in it, on the dyno it was 530hp 490 torque. If you know what to look for you can get it pretty cheap.

blk74nova

Apprentice
Oct 7, 2009
jegs has a blueprint engine with 420hp/450tq for 3195. Has patriot alum heads. Or they sell a patriot engine with 450hp for 4195. Comes with alum heads, new dart block, roller cam, distibutor and a 1 yr warrenty. Not quite as cheap as doing it yourself but its all new stuff.

racebiker1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2009
My stroker rebuild was all new parts except carb. The engine shop Winona Mn complete Eagle rotating assembly shipped was $730.00. Not bad my aluminum heads were new with Hartland roller rockers the guy needed money bought the aluminum heads with rockers and port mached intake for $800.00 just take your time and look around.

bowtie81

Apprentice
Jul 28, 2007
I haven't heard very many good things about blueprint engines. Look at the gm performance parts engines or like others say build one yourself and do it cheaper.

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
You would do so much better peicing it togather your self, but start from a good foundation summit sells a 383 short block and you can find some heads and so on, look for some stout 383 combos from a reputible sourse and go that route. you can buy a crate motor, but since my friend gmpp 350 $#!T a rod, and they didn't stand by their warrenty you'll probally tear it down just to make sure they installed it right anyway. Just something to think about.

1985Chevycutlass

Apprentice
Feb 4, 2009
monte olrac said:
You would do so much better peicing it togather your self, but start from a good foundation summit sells a 383 short block and you can find some heads and so on, look for some stout 383 combos from a reputible sourse and go that route. you can buy a crate motor, but since my friend gmpp 350 $#!T a rod, and they didn't stand by their warrenty you'll probally tear it down just to make sure they installed it right anyway. Just something to think about.

How long did he have it before it s#!t a rod. Just asking because I was about to order one from jegs. Did he change anything internally or change the compression of the engine? I am trying to decide on the blueprint budget 383, or the gm performance parts 350.

attngtr

Apprentice
Nov 5, 2008
Iowa
I just purchased an all forged 383 short block from wheeler power products. They have tons of combinations to choose from.

dedub

Greasemonkey
Aug 18, 2008
N.C. Fort Bragg
This is the one I bought for $3,988 http://www.tandlengines.com/chevy_sb_al ... 3_a-3.html They bored it over .40 so it actually made it a 385. I watched the dyno and drove it home that day in the back of my truck. Great guys in NC who make a great engine. They are just very busy and the wait is a few months for an engine. BTW it dynoed at 460 hp with 455 tq.
edit: Another HIGHLY recommended motor is from Year one. http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbsh ... .asp?cat=B
This is a 400+ HP motor for 2,989. if I had of known about this one first I might of gone the year one route.

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
1985Chevycutlass said:
monte olrac said:

How long did he have it before it s#!t a rod. Just asking because I was about to order one from jegs. Did he change anything internally or change the compression of the engine? I am trying to decide on the blueprint budget 383, or the gm performance parts 350.

All we did was add a carb and distributor, it lasted about 1200 miles...we did nothing to it internaly

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor