388 Cam Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2013
So I recently received a 388 stroker about a week ago as a present of sorts. Now I eventually at some point in time decide to put in in a 83-87 Monte SS (once i find one) but I thought I'd put the engine together first considering it was at one point running but was disassembled for machine work and never put back. It was a race engine with a solid lifter cam and that's what I'm looking to replace with a new Hydraulic Cam. I know very little in this area and hoping to learn something from the whole project. So my question is what type of cam spec wise should I be looking for with my 388? I'm sure I'm missing valuable information you all need to help me so just ask and I'll try to find it out.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
A cam cannot be picked out because you haven't provided any information on what you have and what you're looking to achieve. You never even told us the make of the engine, though it's 99% a Chevy I'm sure, but still, you need to provide that kind of info....

gbondo57

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2010
Central Okla/USA
On the 388, given it'a a .060 over 350 with the 400 stroker setup. Screen name LIL SPANN, has a 406 build thread, with info considerations on that build. Such as small lobe circle cams, to clear any 5.7 con. rod setups. What rpm range do you want to run it? I look at cam catalog numbers to find what I want. Solid cams,generally run mid to high rpm. Hydraulic cams are limited on rpm. From what i've gathered, most of these guys are going to the track with their rides. I just like to build, make it hook, n go play. Would suggest an ebay search on sbc camshaft. Look at the grind series, and specs. This should help you chose. For a small block, thats fat. It will need big valves, and a 750 cfm minimum carb. I happen to like the @2200 rpm to @6400 rpm range. With a 2k to 2400 stall converter. good luck Bud. 8)

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
If you truly want the best setup then you need to contact a few cam companies. I recommend Howards, COMP, and Lunati from personal experience. Just tell them everything you have, what you want and they will recommend the best fit for your application. Custom grinds arent too much more expensive and dont take long to recieve. I ordered my custom grind BBC cam from COMP on new year's eve and got it 4 days later. They will also tell you which springs you need, lifters, and stall speed. I also recommend buying everything from the same manufacturer. Dont scour ebay for the cheapest springs and lifters, spend the money on the right ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor