4L80E with column shift...has anyone done this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmoore4321

Greasemonkey
Dec 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
I can't seem a "start to finish" post anywhere showing how to adapt a column shift linkage to a 4L80E. Any links to a post or any advice would be appreciated.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Do you have a column for a 3speed auto or a 4speed auto? Either way I can't imagine it being any different than a 700r4 maybe even a 200r4 also. There a cutlass in my Friday route ls1 4l60. It has a 3speed column shift. On that car you just can't put all the way in first gear. 1 on the column is actually 2 on the trans. 2 on the column is 3 (or drive) in the trans. And d is overdrive.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Do you have a column for a 3speed auto or a 4speed auto? Either way I can't imagine it being any different than a 700r4 maybe even a 200r4 also..

The 4L80E is electronically shifted from gears 1-3. You could use a lokar shift adapter cable for your column but remember that you can only manually shift from Park to Drive.

Regalman08

Apprentice
Oct 19, 2015
Canada
this may help i did it with a th350 watch this video starting at 4:40 and then watch the next video part 9 i think i perfected it more in part 9.

Reactions: 1 users

pmoore4321

Greasemonkey
Dec 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Thanks for the replies. Regalman, did you solve the 1 -> 2 shift bind? I don't think I can live with that "clunk". Would drive me crazy. My column is the 3-speed style, but I'm not sure that will matter. I wonder if I can modify the "cable column" shift style linkage and fabricate a bracket to hold the column end to the firewall? I see that factory bracket that clamps to the end of the column sure won't work.

It seems nobody that I could find has "perfected" the swap (ie. shift points hitting the correct position on the indicator, not hitting headers, etc)

pmoore4321

Greasemonkey
Dec 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
I plan on pulling the 307 out of the Cutlass next week. I think I am going to put the transmission in the car without the engine and see if I can devise a linkage setup. I think not have the engine bolted to the transmission would make it easier to fabricate.

pmoore4321

Greasemonkey
Dec 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
found a pic of a setup like I was thinking of doing.

SxrOVGs.jpg

• Creative
Reactions: 1 users

Regalman08

Apprentice
Oct 19, 2015
Canada
Thanks for the replies. Regalman, did you solve the 1 -> 2 shift bind? I don't think I can live with that "clunk". Would drive me crazy. My column is the 3-speed style, but I'm not sure that will matter. I wonder if I can modify the "cable column" shift style linkage and fabricate a bracket to hold the column end to the firewall? I see that factory bracket that clamps to the end of the column sure won't work.

It seems nobody that I could find has "perfected" the swap (ie. shift points hitting the correct position on the indicator, not hitting headers, etc)

Yes if you watch the next video in the series part 9 I believe that is where I perfected the shifts it was a matter of taking half an inch off the linkage bar. I ran it all summer and drag races it 3 or 4 times no problems
That picture you just posted that is definitely not a G body firewall

pmoore4321

Greasemonkey
Dec 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Yes if you watch the next video in the series part 9 I believe that is where I perfected the shifts it was a matter of taking half an inch off the linkage bar. I ran it all summer and drag races it 3 or 4 times no problems
That picture you just posted that is definitely not a G body firewall

Yeah, I realize it's not a G-body. I found it on a classic truck site. I think I can rig something up that's similar. If you tweaked yours and got it right, I guess I might just go that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor