5.7 Short block Turbo that will fit in a 1985 Monte Carlo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
I'm doing the engine swap explained in this thread (4.3 to 5.7 TBI) and need a turbo that will fit it.
Any suggestions on a good one?

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
Stock.
All stock.

There's a long thread about how when you do the 5.7 swap you can keep everything stock. Adding a turbo to my daily driver shouldn't wreck the stock transmission but when it finally does I'll upgrade.

I am mainly concerned about finding a turbo kit that will just bolt up and fit.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Stock.
All stock.

There's a long thread about how when you do the 5.7 swap you can keep everything stock. Adding a turbo to my daily driver shouldn't wreck the stock transmission but when it finally does I'll upgrade.

I am mainly concerned about finding a turbo kit that will just bolt up and fit.

You're getting way ahead of yourself. You won't find a bolt on and go kit. There's a lot of fab work that goes into a turbo, and a lot of tuning as well. A stock computer won't get it done and you WILL gut the transmission if it's not a 4L80. I said what I said because I could tell from the other thread you don't know what you don't know about putting a turbo on TBI motor. There are much, much better combos for the money out there.

Reactions: 2 users

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
You're getting way ahead of yourself. You won't find a bolt on and go kit. There's a lot of fab work that goes into a turbo, and a lot of tuning as well. A stock computer won't get it done and you WILL gut the transmission if it's not a 4L80. I said what I said because I could tell from the other thread you don't know what you don't know about putting a turbo on TBI motor. There are much, much better combos for the money out there.
Just to be clear you mean the transmission won't handle the turboed 5.7, right? Because people clear as day are putting the 5.7 tbi in as a clean swap with the stock transmission in that thread without issues.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Turbo on a stock GM TBI - you need an adapter for the 454 TBI TB for the SB TBI intake. The adapter is easy to find or fabricate, but the 454 TB is hard to find in good working order. A stock ECM will handle 3-5psi and function ok, sort of. But that's it. You need an engine management system as Supercharged mentioned.

For ease and expense, you should scrap the stock TBI plan. It's not big enough to handle 400hp without playing a lot of tuning games that are not entry level. Microsquirt, Megasquirt or Holley is what I recommend. I've been reading about MaxxECU that seems to work well for some. I've worked with the MS and Holley stuff - easie peasie. Of course you have the option of using a blow through as well which will eliminate the need for an intercooler in normal driving conditions. I have a work aquaintance that is blowing through a 650 Eddy with good success at 8-10psi. Very cheap and reasonable. Then you can use a stock dizzy and lock it out to 25 or so degrees and let the vacuum advance put in the last 10 degrees to 35 when out of boost.

Regarding a bolt on kit - unobtainium imho. I've bought two, both sucked balls and I had to cut the crap out of both and fabricate to make work. For low boost, stock manifolds will not hamper you and they are very durable.

How about some power goals. What I described above is an easy way to 400hp with 10 psi via a stock 250hp motor. It is great fun on the street, easily tuned and cheap.

Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Just to be clear you mean the transmission won't handle the turboed 5.7, right? Because people clear as day are putting the 5.7 tbi in as a clean swap with the stock transmission in that thread without issues.

Yes, turbo will gut the transmission. Stock with boltons you should be fine, but they're not getting any younger so there's that too.

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Is this still the timing cover/chain thread?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
Turbo on a stock GM TBI - you need an adapter for the 454 TBI TB for the SB TBI intake. The adapter is easy to find or fabricate, but the 454 TB is hard to find in good working order. A stock ECM will handle 3-5psi and function ok, sort of. But that's it. You need an engine management system as Supercharged mentioned.

For ease and expense, you should scrap the stock TBI plan. It's not big enough to handle 400hp without playing a lot of tuning games that are not entry level. Microsquirt, Megasquirt or Holley is what I recommend. I've been reading about MaxxECU that seems to work well for some. I've worked with the MS and Holley stuff - easie peasie. Of course you have the option of using a blow through as well which will eliminate the need for an intercooler in normal driving conditions. I have a work aquaintance that is blowing through a 650 Eddy with good success at 8-10psi. Very cheap and reasonable. Then you can use a stock dizzy and lock it out to 25 or so degrees and let the vacuum advance put in the last 10 degrees to 35 when out of boost.

Regarding a bolt on kit - unobtainium imho. I've bought two, both sucked balls and I had to cut the crap out of both and fabricate to make work. For low boost, stock manifolds will not hamper you and they are very durable.

How about some power goals. What I described above is an easy way to 400hp with 10 psi via a stock 250hp motor. It is great fun on the street, easily tuned and cheap.
I should upgrade the TBI right.

As far as horsepower goals: It's going from a 4.3 that everyone claims is a granny, to a 5.7. That's already a huge jump.
I'd be happy with with 310-330 HP, this will be a daily driver for me/my main take the kids to school car and go to work.

I just bought the car and haven't even driven it but everyone online says the 4.3L v6 Monte is slow. Im coming from a 2014 Ford Fusion 2.0 eco boost; for reference. If the 4.3 is slower than that I'll hate it.

Yes, you read all that correctly; I bought the car and had it go straight to get painted. Why? They had an opening this week, and a special, and then won't have another opening for 14 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor